Tweaking on the new Wedgie (learn about baffle shapes)

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Re: Tweaking on the new Wedgie (learn about baffle shapes)
« Reply #20 on: 14 Apr 2018, 11:48 pm »
Questions for Mike (mlundy):

How do you position your speakers in your 11 x 13 room?
How far do you sit from the front of the speakers?
How far behind you is the rear wall?
Is the room treated?

I ask because we’re in the market for a new home, and there’s an excellent chance I’ll finally have a home office that is also suitable for a small (cozy) audio system where my wife won’t complain about OB speakers.

Michael

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #21 on: 15 Apr 2018, 12:27 am »
Questions for Mike (mlundy):

How do you position your speakers in your 11 x 13 room?
How far do you sit from the front of the speakers?
How far behind you is the rear wall?
Is the room treated?

I ask because we’re in the market for a new home, and there’s an excellent chance I’ll finally have a home office that is also suitable for a small (cozy) audio system where my wife won’t complain about OB speakers.

Michael

Michael,

I had them positioned along the short wall. 3ft into the room and about 6ft apart (The MTM Oticas are in their place right now). My recliner is at the rear of the room against the back wall when leaned back.  There is a double window behind the chair. This puts me about 8ft from the speakers.

I have some treatments in the room. A combination of absorption and diffraction behind the speakers, diffraction at the first reflection points on the side wall and absorption behind the chair in the window well.

I put the room treatment in for the Otticas. The Wedgies were not as particular.

I have also had the Wedgies set up along the long wall (haven't tried the Oticas this way). With this setup the the Wedgies were 3ft off the wall and about 8ft apart. The recliner was against the back wall when leaned back which put me about 6ft from the speakers. I liked the overall presentation better with the speakers along the long wall since I could spread them farther apart. Both soundstage and imaging were better.

Since you will be looking for another house, get one with a bigger room than this, especially if you plan on using it for an office also. 13x16 at least. 

When I get back from the Lone Star Audio Fest I will likely set the Oticas up along the long wall so I can spread them farther apart. This will put me closer to them than I would like but until I get the next remodel project done (making the room 13x15) I'll have to live with it.

Mike

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #22 on: 15 Apr 2018, 12:47 am »
Mike,

Thank you.

My goal is to find a home with a dedicated audio room and another room to serve as my office/small audio room. The  <hopefully> larger dedicated room would be for my Apollo speakers. If there’s no dedicated room, it’ll have to be a great room or family room in which WAF would play a major role (no OB in such a scenario).

I’ll eventually announce our new home.

Michael

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #23 on: 15 Apr 2018, 04:22 am »
Mike,

Thank you.

My goal is to find a home with a dedicated audio room and another room to serve as my office/small audio room. The  <hopefully> larger dedicated room would be for my Apollo speakers. If there’s no dedicated room, it’ll have to be a great room or family room in which WAF would play a major role (no OB in such a scenario).

I’ll eventually announce our new home.

Michael

You can never have too many man caves  :lol:  Good hunting

Mike

tosob

« Reply #24 on: 16 Apr 2018, 04:41 pm »
Is it possible to change the setup from a mmtmm to a mtmww? Something similar to the ob7 plus but with servo subs?

Danny Richie

« Reply #25 on: 16 Apr 2018, 04:47 pm »
Is it possible to change the setup from a mmtmm to a mtmww? Something similar to the ob7 plus but with servo subs?

No, that would change the response, impedance, and SPL level. And the acoustic centers are so close together due to the small diameter of the 3" drivers that the MMTMM works out great.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #26 on: 16 Apr 2018, 09:03 pm »
When you set them up complete with the subwoofers you get an MMTMM-SWSW on each side.

clm811

• Just listen.
« Reply #27 on: 14 Feb 2024, 01:02 am »
Anyone have the images to share from the original post ,#1 here?
I don't see any images, just blank spaces and would like to compare the curves for the "old" (original) Wedgie and the "new"(as of the date of O.P.).
Thanks in advance for pix of these curves.
-Chas

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #28 on: 14 Feb 2024, 05:56 pm »
Danny's first post with graphs does not show up, and I used two browsers.

What drivers are used besides the planer?

Total height of the wedgie?

Thanks

Rocket Ronny

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #29 on: 14 Feb 2024, 06:31 pm »
The midrange drivers are no longer available so the design is not offered anymore.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #30 on: 15 Feb 2024, 12:21 am »
Danny's first post with graphs does not show up, and I used two browsers.

What drivers are used besides the planer?

Total height of the wedgie?

Thanks

Rocket Ronny

The Wedgie used the Original LGK 1.0 Drivers in an MMTMM array with a custom BG Neo 3 tweeter. it was designed to sit on top of triple 8" servo subs in a similar wedge-shaped baffle
Here was the final response of the original cabinet design.

About 14" deep and 21" tall

Here's the original cabinet design:

The "newer" version tweaked the "short wing" side by making the lower section a little longer to tweak the bottom end response a little bit.

You can see the "new" version of the cabinet in the link below:
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=160413.0

We built a prototype "Wedgie 2.0" about a year ago with some tweaks to the waveguide, and got a pretty decent response, it needed steeper slopes and is only about 90dB efficient.
We've shelved the project for now though, but we may revisit it sometime in the future as a full tower design.

I don't have any pictures of it though

goggle1824

« Reply #31 on: 16 Feb 2024, 02:36 pm »
The midrange drivers are no longer available so the design is not offered anymore.

Total bummer too. Along with the Super Seven’s. 😢

Hafgrim

« Reply #32 on: 16 Feb 2024, 06:06 pm »

I think there is still hope for a return of the super 7.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #33 on: 16 Feb 2024, 07:00 pm »

I think I might have the last pair of Super 7’s ever built.  They are pretty awesome.  Over the years, I did manage to source some more midrange panels (used but good condition).  I’m in the process of possibly converting the Super 7’s to the Line Force speakers, which are truly god-tier.  Also holy-shit expensive.