Integrated amp recommendations for M3 Turbo S?

rebbi

Re: Integrated amp recommendations for M3 Turbo S?
« Reply #100 on: 30 Jan 2018, 03:13 am »
FedEx says it gets here in 2 more days from Taiwan. Woot!!

Samac

« Reply #101 on: 30 Jan 2018, 12:26 pm »
Cool, almost here. Don't want to get your hopes up, Steve, but FedEx actually got mine to me a day earlier than scheduled. First time I've had anything audio gear related delivered early. Waiting is part of the fun, enjoy. :D

Cheers,

Scott

mpv

« Reply #102 on: 20 Feb 2018, 02:54 am »
In that case we’d be talking about power and and preamps too. I know you have your doubts about Class D, but like yourself I found my favourite SET amp to be woefully inadequate for the task of driving the same speakers. All I can say is if you heard my system, you’d buy the same amps I have in flash. It simply doesn’t get any better. My Class D Amps manifest all the virtues my SET did (with some very special tube upgrades) and a whole lot more. And I’m not kidding when I say a whole lot more.

Just bought M3 Turbo S and drove them with Coincident Dynamo 34 SE mkII and to my ears sound is indeed very good.All the tubes are Tung-sol. The guy sold me the speakers drove them with NuPrime STA9.Can you elaborate differences I'll hear going D class,please?

1390west

« Reply #103 on: 20 Feb 2018, 06:30 pm »
believe it or not, I bought a Chinese tube amp (boyuu) for around$ 800, including shipping.  I than swapped out all the tubes with genelect red lions, about$ 300.  I would happily put this combo against almost any combination of spatial m3t and a different amp.  it smokes just about any  transistor amp  I have heard

Wind Chaser

« Reply #104 on: 20 Feb 2018, 07:59 pm »
Just bought M3 Turbo S and drove them with Coincident Dynamo 34 SE mkII and to my ears sound is indeed very good.All the tubes are Tung-sol. The guy sold me the speakers drove them with NuPrime STA9.Can you elaborate differences I'll hear going D class,please?

Yeah, I had a Coincident Dynamo MKII. I know this might be hard to accept, but the Dynamo is a very poor match with those speakers...

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=154294.msg1649764#msg1649764

mpv

« Reply #105 on: 21 Feb 2018, 12:00 am »
Yeah, I had a Coincident Dynamo MKII. I know this might be hard to accept, but the Dynamo is a very poor match with those speakers...

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=154294.msg1649764#msg1649764
I also called today Clayton and he said if tube amp have 4ohms tap I should be ok. M3 Turbo S also have Isoacoustics Gaia III footers. Again Wind Chaser what differences did you heard ? In my system bass is tied and dry,Mids are to die for.All these findings just after I sold my Avantgarde Nano speakers.Are not in the same league but these M3 definitely sing better in my room.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #106 on: 21 Feb 2018, 03:18 am »
mpv,

Check you mail box, you got a PM.

dspringham

« Reply #107 on: 17 Jun 2018, 10:34 pm »
Hey Rebbi,

I see you have your Nuprime listed for sale, so the amplifier search goes on.

You should seriously consider the Job INT. At US$1600 direct the price is in your wheelhouse. The reviews are rave (http://www.jobsys.com/6moonsJobInt.pdf) and the value is off the charts. One box solution with remote control and multiple inputs. Also, the new units no longer convert the analogue inputs into the the digital domain internally so no SQ loss. Includes a stellar DAC as well.

As an owner of the Job 225 power amplifier, I can't see how you could go wrong with the INT for sound and form factor.

Best of luck in your search.

Regards,
Dave

md92468

« Reply #108 on: 18 Jun 2018, 06:19 pm »
I can't speak from firsthand experience, as I never owned the two pieces at the same time...but from what I remember of the characteristics of my Spatial M4 Turbos (which I regrettably had to sell) and what I now know about my Belles Aria integrated, I'd imagine the match would be spectacular. I've swapped integrateds a dozen times in the last 6-7 years, but this one is staying. A reviewer said its sound was like "tubes with more grunt"...it's an apt description. Everything is just...right. Decent onboard phono and headphone amp, too. I couldn't be happier, especially for its relatively reasonable price.

YMMV, as always, but IMO it's an impressive little beast that unfortunately hasn't gotten the coverage it deserves. 

rebbi

« Reply #109 on: 18 Jun 2018, 11:45 pm »
I can't speak from firsthand experience, as I never owned the two pieces at the same time...but from what I remember of the characteristics of my Spatial M4 Turbos (which I regrettably had to sell) and what I now know about my Belles Aria integrated, I'd imagine the match would be spectacular. I've swapped integrateds a dozen times in the last 6-7 years, but this one is staying. A reviewer said its sound was like "tubes with more grunt"...it's an apt description. Everything is just...right. Decent onboard phono and headphone amp, too. I couldn't be happier, especially for its relatively reasonable price.

YMMV, as always, but IMO it's an impressive little beast that unfortunately hasn't gotten the coverage it deserves.

I had my eye on a Belles Aria, and the reviews have indeed been good. I even think I've recently seen a used one somewhere. I am frustrated at all the great gear out there that you can't listen to in your system before purchase. But I guess that's a good reason to buy used!

I actually exchanged a few emails with David Belles a few weeks ago. He said that the Aria integrated would work well with the Spatial M3 but that he'd more heartily recommend the Aria mono-blocks. Of course, combine those with a preamp and you're well above my budget. *Sigh*

Glad you're loving yours, though!   :thumb:

rebbi

« Reply #110 on: 18 Jun 2018, 11:48 pm »
Hey Rebbi,

I see you have your Nuprime listed for sale, so the amplifier search goes on.

You should seriously consider the Job INT. At US$1600 direct the price is in your wheelhouse. The reviews are rave (http://www.jobsys.com/6moonsJobInt.pdf) and the value is off the charts. One box solution with remote control and multiple inputs. Also, the new units no longer convert the analogue inputs into the the digital domain internally so no SQ loss. Includes a stellar DAC as well.

As an owner of the Job 225 power amplifier, I can't see how you could go wrong with the INT for sound and form factor.

Best of luck in your search.

Regards,
Dave

Hi, Dave!

Yes, I've heard of the Job INT and it's supposed to be good. And given that it comes out of the Goldmund factory in Switzerland, the quality should be there, too.

dspringham

« Reply #111 on: 19 Jun 2018, 12:39 am »
Rebbi,

The latest version of the INT has removed the digital conversion at the analogue inputs. I confirmed this a short time ago with Job tech support. The inputs now go straight to the analogue volume control.

The 225 power amp received universal praise and accolades. Many say the sound quality of the output stage in the INT sounds even better.

As per their review, 6 Moons really liked this unit. Now with the true analogue inputs it has become even better.

No affiliation with Job Systems, just a happy 225 owner about to lay out for a pair of M3 Triode Masters.

All the best,
Dave

rebbi

« Reply #112 on: 19 Jun 2018, 12:41 am »
Rebbi,

The latest version of the INT has removed the digital conversion at the analogue inputs. I confirmed this a short time ago with Job tech support. The inputs now go straight to the analogue volume control.

The 225 power amp received universal praise and accolades. Many say the sound quality of the output stage in the INT sounds even better.

As per their review, 6 Moons really liked this unit. Now with the true analogue inputs it has become even better.

No affiliation with Job Systems, just a happy 225 owner about to lay out for a pair of M3 Triode Masters.

All the best,
Dave

LOL! I just edited my previous post to reflect a more careful reading of your post regarding the analogue input no longer. being digitized. And then I saw this post. Okay, so we've cleared that up!

:lol:

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #113 on: 19 Jun 2018, 12:48 am »
I actually exchanged a few emails with David Belles a few weeks ago. He said that the Aria integrated would work well with the Spatial M3 but that he'd more heartily recommend the Aria mono-blocks. Of course, combine those with a preamp and you're well above my budget. *Sigh*

Did he indicate why?
I can't imagine them being that much better than the integrated (unless paired with a top notch pre of course).  :o

rebbi

« Reply #114 on: 19 Jun 2018, 12:49 am »
Did he indicate why?
I can't imagine them being that much better than the integrated.  :o

No, he didn't. I wrote back and asked him but never heard anything.  :popcorn:

mick wolfe

« Reply #115 on: 19 Jun 2018, 01:23 am »
FWIW, I still have a pair of M2 Turbo's. While they "worked" with a tube amp, they simply sound better with solid state IMHO. Of course  I'm assuming the M3 and M4 present a similar 4 ohm load as the the older M1 and M2 Turbo's. Why would Clayton come up with the Triode Master series if he didn't feel a need to create a better match for tube amps?

rebbi

« Reply #116 on: 19 Jun 2018, 04:49 pm »
FWIW, I still have a pair of M2 Turbo's. While they "worked" with a tube amp, they simply sound better with solid state IMHO. Of course  I'm assuming the M3 and M4 present a similar 4 ohm load as the the older M1 and M2 Turbo's. Why would Clayton come up with the Triode Master series if he didn't feel a need to create a better match for tube amps?

Precisely. They do work with a tube amp, even a SET amp like the 300B I used to own. They "work" because they're quite sensitive. But their impedance curve is far from flat, and many lower watt tube amps will be "pushed around" by the speakers because, while efficient, they're not especially "easy to drive."

Wind Chaser

« Reply #117 on: 19 Jun 2018, 05:30 pm »
That’s what I’ve been saying for a year now.

James Edward

« Reply #118 on: 19 Jun 2018, 08:29 pm »

I may be jumping the gun, but this SS Integrated seems to pushing the M3 around quite nicely. I’ve only got one running due to a FedEx mixup, but in mono, with no positioning, no break-in, it sounds great. I imagine having a left speaker will improve things somewhat. Big day tomorrow.
Another upside down picture. Bad for the amp’s heat sinking abilities.

rebbi

« Reply #119 on: 19 Jun 2018, 08:31 pm »

I may be jumping the gun, but this SS Integrated seems to pushing the M3 around quite nicely. I’ve only got one running due to a FedEx mixup, but in mono, with no positioning, no break-in, it sounds great. I imagine having a left speaker will improve things somewhat. Big day tomorrow.
Another upside down picture. Bad for the amp’s heat sinking abilities.

Which Luxman is that? It looks like the L-550 AX Mk. II. Is that right?