Well recorded classics

bhallin

Well recorded classics
« on: 17 Oct 2016, 02:43 pm »
I know this may sound heretical, but I am more interested in a good recording, or the sonics of classical music "classics".

I have found that that I like the performances of most of the recordings I have, but the sound of the recordings may be somewhat lacking.

Can anyone make any suggestions for well recorded symphonies, concertos and chamber music. I love classical music and one of the reasons I like it is because I can relate it to actual performances I have attended. I know where all the instruments are located in a typical orchestra, and I want to hear that placement (soundstaging & imaging), both laterally and depth-wise. Ideally, the recording should be made with a minimal number of microphones, but that seldom happens.

Most popular music is recorded on multiple tracks, at different times, and put together by the producer according to the way he thinks it should sound. It may also be very compressed. Anyway, although it MAY sound good, it isn't something that one can relate to anything real.

If you are an audiophile and a classical music lover, your recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Randy

Re: Well recorded classics
« Reply #1 on: 17 Oct 2016, 04:28 pm »
http://referencerecordings.com/Minnesota.asp

http://www.minnesotaorchestra.org/buy/merchandise/cds-a-merchandise

The Sibelius recordings by the Minnesota Orchestra on Bis are nothing less than spectacular.

Mike-48

« Reply #2 on: 14 Mar 2017, 04:51 am »
Do you use downloaded files for playback? Many of the recordings on the BIS label and offered by eClassical.com are quite well recorded (though not necessarily sounding like a live performance).

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #3 on: 14 Mar 2017, 05:10 am »
Ibert's Divertissement on London, Walton's Facade on Victrola, Copland with Johannes conducting  Dallas on Turnabout, Balalaika's on Mercury, Pines of Rome on RCA... there's just too many to list.  There are several "best" list.  Google them. 
Falstaff on MFSL.  Rachmaninov's Vocalise with Johannes and Dallas or the Reference Recording version. 
And check out Yarlung records. 

Folsom

« Reply #4 on: 14 Mar 2017, 06:24 am »

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #5 on: 14 Mar 2017, 08:16 pm »
You need some Mahler, too.  For sound quality I really like the recent Gergiev recordings. 

And Beethoven - the Haitink set with the LSO sounds pretty fab.

Oh, and ALL the Tilson Thomas recordings on SACD with the San Francisco Symphony.  Maybe the best combo of recording and performance happening today.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #6 on: 14 Mar 2017, 08:42 pm »
I should have asked which format.  All my recs were for vinyl, since it's what I mostly listen to. What is your medium of choice?