1801C Discussion String

David Ellis

• http://www.ellisaudio.com
Re: 1801C Discussion String
« Reply #60 on: 17 Sep 2008, 07:42 pm »
My shop is little more than a dungeon.

But it appears to be a very clean dungeon.  aa .

buzzce

« Reply #61 on: 18 Sep 2008, 04:29 pm »
Dave,  Will you be showing your new "artwork" in Denver next month?

David Ellis

« Reply #62 on: 18 Sep 2008, 04:59 pm »
Dave,  Will you be showing your new "artwork" in Denver next month?

Oh no  :oops:  :oops: .  I don't think I would even show this speaker at a DIY event. 

I due to family and professional obligations, I will not be attending the RMAF this fall.  I... might attend next year, but this is uncertain.  I am retiring from the USAF June 1, 2009 and will most likely be moving to Minneapolis, MN in the summer of 2009.   I am doubtful that I will have a workshop fully arranged in sufficient time to arrange something for the fall of 2009 at RMAF.  So, my next visit to RMAF will most likely be 2010.

Dave

BrianM

« Reply #63 on: 30 Sep 2008, 05:27 pm »
A little late to this thread but I found entrope's review to be intriguing, in particular:

The coherence of the sound as a whole though detailed with great imaging still sometimes gives the impression individual units presented simultaneously rather than a cohesive piece of music. This is the biggest flaw I find with the B because I lean toward warm and musical speakers.

Since I own these speakers I'm trying to imagine what exactly he's hearing when he makes this observation. "Warm and musical" I get, and it sounds like the C is a warmer speaker.  But "individual units presented simultaneously" isn't the impression I get from the B's; I'm mainly aware of a sound stage with instruments clearly defined in it - the old disappearing speaker effect.  How cohesive the music is strikes me as related to other factors than individually demarcated instruments. At any rate, I get that the 1801C may be more mellifluous and less forward sounding, as well as a bit deeper.  IME how forward the B's sound relates very much to how they're placed, but they're never not going to be a basically forward presentation. Still, the more space between them and the front wall, the more depth, as you'd expect.

Anyway thanks for the writeup - the C is something to keep my eye on and I'd be certainly interested in hearing the demo pair if it ever makes the rounds.

Oh - I would also add that in my setup the stage is about level with the speakers, not in front of or behind.  Mine are pointed roughly along the diagonal axis of my listening room so that there's a triangle of space behind the speakers, i.e. no flat front wall.

fred

« Reply #64 on: 3 Oct 2008, 03:34 am »
Anyway thanks for the writeup - the C is something to keep my eye on and I'd be certainly interested in hearing the demo pair if it ever makes the rounds.

Dave - Do you indeed plan a road trip for the 1801C's?

David Ellis

« Reply #65 on: 4 Oct 2008, 06:20 pm »
Dave - Do you indeed plan a road trip for the 1801C's?

Well... I will be moving in the spring of 2009 and my speakers won't have a home for a few months.  The likely result is that their time would be best spent in another home/system.  IF (IF) I manage to complete another pair of pretty speakers for my wife, the demo speakers will be able to visit a few more homes. 

Dave

drab

« Reply #66 on: 31 Dec 2008, 02:43 am »
David, anywhere near a date where the 1801c will be available?

David Ellis

« Reply #67 on: 31 Dec 2008, 12:09 pm »
Drab,

Thanks for your query.

I could sell a kit to you now, but a verbal explanation of the very minor cabinet changes from the 1801B to 1801C would have to suffice.  The front panel lumber is thicker (2 1/4" total).  The back panel is thicker (1 1/2" MDF).  The Radius on the front baffle is now 1 1/2".

I started video-taping the cabinet build process a few weeks ago, but my 2yr old Canon video camera (mini disc) didn't like the fluorescent lights in my workshop.  The results were pixillated and fuzzy during any movements.  I have read this is a common phenomena and my Canon CD camera doesn't have a setting for fluorescent lights.

Then @ 1 week ago the physical therapist provided some movements that grossly exacerbated the sprain in my right knee.  I can walk, but with a "90yr old limp". 

On a positive note, my wife reminded me last night that we have an older Sony mini-tape camera.  It's a Hi-8 model with CCD.  I recall this unit having surprisingly good video quality and believe it should work under the fluorescent lights.

So, that's what I have done lately.  I convey these remarks so that you will know that I have not quit on the project.

Also, over the past 4-6 months I have experienced a few occasions where I thought the tweeter was perhaps slightly too pronounced on some recordings.  Yesterday my wife gave me an old Steve Miller Band Greatest Hits CD.  It was absolutely perfect :thumb:.  I wish that recording studio engineers all had the same ears and brain :roll:

Dave

AUDFILE74

« Reply #68 on: 15 Apr 2009, 11:45 am »
dave, what height do you reccomend for stands for the 1801c?

David Ellis

« Reply #69 on: 15 Apr 2009, 11:55 am »
The same height as previous - about 24".  I suppose if a guy slouches considerable a shorter stand would be more appropriate  :wink: .  However, I really don't hear a huge difference when moving vertically 10-20" vertically on most cone-based speakers.  My perception in this regard is very different for Ribbons/planar/line array speakers.

Also, I am almost finished with my preparations for selling our home and moving.  I won't likely have an active workshop for a considerable time.  While I remain very pleased with the design of the 1801C, proper documentation requires a plethora of photos/video to support the project plans.  This must be accomplished during the build of additional 1801C cabinets.

AUDFILE74

« Reply #70 on: 15 Apr 2009, 01:42 pm »
thanks dave, i hope you have a safe and "murphy free" move. what state are you going to move to?

David Ellis

« Reply #71 on: 15 Apr 2009, 03:15 pm »
We are planning a move to Minnesota - Primarily due to the winter season  :thumb: .  Well, actually about 90% of our family lives in Minnesota.

Dave

turkey

« Reply #72 on: 16 Apr 2009, 06:52 pm »
Or, for the 1-1/2" round over, make multiple angle cuts with a table saw to approximate the round over, then hand finish.  Would it work to use a cabinet scraper ground to the 1-1/2" radius?...could a proper burr be put on the scraper's round-over edge?
With a good hand & eye this is possible.  I do believe some folks could accomplish this with a high degree of success.  However, I don't have this level of manual skill.  I could do this task tolerably, but not to perfection.

Another way is to use a series of straight cuts of varying depth. So, you'd start out with the table saw blade lowered and make a cut well in from the edge. Then you gradually raise the blade and make cuts getting closer and closer to the edge.

Then you use a chisel and sander to clean it up and get a nice round profile.

GVR

« Reply #73 on: 15 Aug 2009, 11:38 am »
Hi Dave,

Any news/new pictures of the 1801C's?

Kind regards,
Gerard

David Ellis

« Reply #74 on: 15 Aug 2009, 12:47 pm »
Any news/new pictures of the 1801C's?

Unfortunately, no.  I could probably post a photo of my workshop.  It's immaculately clean  :( .  It hasn't been exposed to sawdust for months  :cry: .  Our home is still for sale and we have another house-showing this morning.  This is bothersome for me too.

Dave

GVR

« Reply #75 on: 15 Aug 2009, 02:08 pm »
Hi Dave,

That's not so good news indeed. I though you had moved already.

How are your elbow and knee(s) going BTW? Hopefully a lot better.

Regards,
Gerard

David Ellis

« Reply #76 on: 15 Aug 2009, 05:19 pm »
That's not so good news indeed. I though you had moved already.

Me too.  Six months ago I never would have though the job search and move would take this long.  But, it has.  Fortunately, we aren't suffering financially.  Many folks in the USA are suffering financially.  These folks generally lived at the edge of their financial means, and have little/no financial buffer.  Last month the number of home forecloseures in the Minneapolis (Minnesota) metropolitian area were up 140% when compared to 1 year ago.

Hmmm, how is the economy on your side of the pond?

How are your elbow and knee(s) going BTW? Hopefully a lot better.

My elbow hasn't really been used and is therefore fine.  My knees continue to be a learning process.  I have learned the following.

- Physical therapy for my knees is a long term detriment. 

- My knees can feel changes in weather before they happen.

- My knees feel better if I drink a considerable amount of water and remain hydrated.

- I can still ride bicycle, and have been doing plenty of this.  My road bike is 20 years old, but remains a decent bicycle and gets plenty of use.  And, riding bicycle actually helps my knees feel better!!  :thumb: .

Dave

GVR

« Reply #77 on: 15 Aug 2009, 06:31 pm »
The economy on our side. It is on the up again (for now at least). In comparisson to the US the effect of the crisis has been less noticable. Of course a lot of employees have been fired and companies have gone bankrupt but by far not to the extent of the US.

The housing market has become very difficult too. There are a lot of houses for sale but very few buyers (because the banks are not eager anymore to give out morgages and people have no certainties at their jobs) so the house prices go down. Like a negative spiral...

Of course there are a lot of people here too that were maxxed out on their morgage and have big financial problems now. Houses being sold on auctions (foreclosure?). But I think the effect is less because banks here in the Netherlands have always been more demanding with giving out morgages (in max. amount) But if you are fired you won't be able to pay the bills so all the above mentioned reasons count.

On the up side it is good to hear you are managing to "live" with your knees. Hopefully it won't restrict you in playing with your sons.

Back to speaker building. Check out the work of this guy. I have had contact with him for milling the parts for my cabinets. Seems to be a really nice guy and his work/method looks great. Very extensive though. Nice to see....
http://www.collier.be/

KR,
Gerard

David Ellis

« Reply #78 on: 15 Aug 2009, 08:33 pm »
Wow!  That guy does amazing work!

[img]

I am going to read more about his moulding methods.  This intrigues me.

Dave

GVR

« Reply #79 on: 16 Aug 2009, 07:39 am »
That's what I thought too... :o