Integrated amp for 2nd system around $200

rif

• Not a cowboy
Re: Integrated amp for 2nd system around $200
« Reply #20 on: 12 Apr 2017, 02:35 am »
does it have a remote and is the remote sensitive- ie good at small steps?

tx

TB

Sorry, I don't use the remote.

Zero

« Reply #21 on: 12 Apr 2017, 01:20 pm »
I'd second the Harman Kardon recommendation.  It fits your budget.  Has enough power.  Has a remote.  Will most likely have basic tone controls somewhere in the menu.  And most importantly, Harman Kardon products tend to sound pretty good with Totem products.  It's one of the better cheap n' cheerful matches I can think of when it comes to the Totem line. 

Whichever way you go, good luck!

asliarun

« Reply #22 on: 12 Apr 2017, 02:48 pm »
Here, I think you're getting what you pay for.

The 100W/Ch 8Ω rating is at 1 kHz and 10% THD!  The 140W/Ch @ 4Ω rating is also only at 1 kHz (for Europe).  Not sure why they would even post a 4Ω spec, as the rear of the amplifier clearly states "8Ω Minimum", not to mention the cheesy spring-loaded speaker terminal clips.

I think you would be better served with one of the budget integrated amplifiers (vs. budget receiver) mentioned, or one of the smaller used NAD, Cambridge Audio or Marantz integrated amplifiers.

Steve

You're right. I shouldn't have posted. Realized that in hindsight. I got carried away with the "bargain".

Doublej

« Reply #23 on: 12 Apr 2017, 04:35 pm »
Here, I think you're getting what you pay for.

The 100W/Ch 8Ω rating is at 1 kHz and 10% THD!  The 140W/Ch @ 4Ω rating is also only at 1 kHz (for Europe).  Not sure why they would even post a 4Ω spec, as the rear of the amplifier clearly states "8Ω Minimum", not to mention the cheesy spring-loaded speaker terminal clips.

I think you would be better served with one of the budget integrated amplifiers (vs. budget receiver) mentioned, or one of the smaller used NAD, Cambridge Audio or Marantz integrated amplifiers.

Steve

I am seeing "Rated Output Power (8 ohms, 40 Hz-20 kHz, 0.2% THD)    100 W + 100 W" for the R-201S. Where are you seeing "100W/Ch 8Ω rating is at 1 kHz and 10% THD"

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/hifi-components/stereo-receivers/r-s201_black_u/

I agree with the rest of what you have written.

srb

« Reply #24 on: 12 Apr 2017, 04:46 pm »
Where are you seeing "100W/Ch 8Ω rating is at 1 kHz and 10% THD"

I was looking at the Accessories4less page, not the Yamaha website, so I guess I would have to defer to the manufacturer's site for the correct specifications.

Steve

Bigfishhk

« Reply #25 on: 13 Apr 2017, 12:04 am »
I'd second the Harman Kardon recommendation.  It fits your budget.  Has enough power.  Has a remote.  Will most likely have basic tone controls somewhere in the menu.  And most importantly, Harman Kardon products tend to sound pretty good with Totem products.  It's one of the better cheap n' cheerful matches I can think of when it comes to the Totem line. 

Whichever way you go, good luck!

Thanks for suggestions . As I am using an ancient cheapo Sony receiver right now, can afford to wait for a good deal on , likely, Yamaha or Onkyo int amp, or used but not too old Nad or Cambridge.. etc.. these suggestions pointed me to which models...
The HK probably works as mentioned, but I like external tone balance controls etc..
one thing that bugs me and puzzles me about my old Sony receiver is that it's already incredibly loud at about 8 o'clock on volume dial, with any speaker, even insensitive ones..

OzarkTom

« Reply #26 on: 13 Apr 2017, 12:28 am »
I bought that MassdropTeac last month for 199, should be shipped next week. :thumb:

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #27 on: 13 Apr 2017, 05:53 am »
If you can go a bit over the $200 budget I'd recommend an NAD 316BEE integrated. You'll get a new to near new one & these smoke cheap yamahas / onkyos. I know from personal experience - and I've also tried it out with totem dreamcatchers. Totems do better with warmer electronics. Even @ $379 list price these are some of the best entry level integrateds you can get until you get into far more money.

mcgsxr

« Reply #28 on: 13 Apr 2017, 10:34 am »
Having owned a NAD 325BEE I would still take the Yamaha when paired with Totem.  I found the NAD struggled with the Model 1's I had. 

The NAD did well with the much easier load (8ohm) of the Totem Sttaf I had.  Though I had some volume control crackling issues with the 325.
« Last Edit: 13 Apr 2017, 11:59 am by mcgsxr »

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #29 on: 14 Apr 2017, 01:09 am »
Don't know what to say : ran Arros and Dreamcatchers with same impedance / sensitivity as Model 1 with a 25wpc Manley Stingray for many years with no volume / power limitation issues. Also tried the 316BEE and was satisfied with volume levels. So I guess YMMV.

Bigfishhk

« Reply #30 on: 14 Apr 2017, 01:21 am »
I bought that MassdropTeac last month for 199, should be shipped next week. :thumb:

be curious to know how that works out for you
Tx

Bigfishhk

« Reply #31 on: 14 Apr 2017, 01:17 pm »
Don't know what to say : ran Arros and Dreamcatchers with same impedance / sensitivity as Model 1 with a 25wpc Manley Stingray for many years with no volume / power limitation issues. Also tried the 316BEE and was satisfied with volume levels. So I guess YMMV.

I owned a couple of Nad amps before, always liked them for their price and aesthetics also, but also had reliability issues . It always made me wary of buying them used again.. could have just been my own bad luck rather than any widespread problem with Nad, not sure..

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #32 on: 14 Apr 2017, 04:55 pm »
I would take a look at this Onkyo Tx-8160.  80wpc, 4ohm capable, does wireless, built in DAC, does DSD, high current, usb input and a remote.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/onktx8160/onkyo-tx-8160-2-x-80-watts-networking-stereo-receiver/1.html#!more

http://www.onkyousa.com/Products/model.php?m=TX-8160&class=Receiver

OzarkTom

« Reply #33 on: 15 Apr 2017, 01:15 am »
be curious to know how that works out for you
Tx

My Teac showed up today. I will hook it up to my Zellatons and Classido 1''s this weekend.

Bigfishhk

« Reply #34 on: 15 Apr 2017, 06:51 pm »
I would take a look at this Onkyo Tx-8160.  80wpc, 4ohm capable, does wireless, built in DAC, does DSD, high current, usb input and a remote.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/onktx8160/onkyo-tx-8160-2-x-80-watts-networking-stereo-receiver/1.html#!more

http://www.onkyousa.com/Products/model.php?m=TX-8160&class=Receiver

looks very interesting at price (because refurbished).. do you think it would be on a par with the Onkyo A 9010 int amp as far as SQ concerned, albeit this receiver has more power, and bells and whistles?

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #35 on: 15 Apr 2017, 09:10 pm »
Would never buy a budget Onkyo. Ouch my ears.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #36 on: 15 Apr 2017, 09:11 pm »
I owned a couple of Nad amps before, always liked them for their price and aesthetics also, but also had reliability issues . It always made me wary of buying them used again.. could have just been my own bad luck rather than any widespread problem with Nad, not sure..

They've had a checkered past but so far for us we've only had one DOA and no warranty claims through us.

srb

« Reply #37 on: 15 Apr 2017, 10:58 pm »
Would never buy a budget Onkyo. Ouch my ears.

I don't know about the sound, but most of the Onkyos that I've looked at and listened to seemed to run quite a bit warmer (even hot) to the touch compared to similar Denon, HK, Marantz, Pioneer and Yamaha, even the Onkyo pre-processors.

I stopped considering them and have just gone with or recommended one of the other (largely interchangeable) brands for that reason, whether entirely justified or not.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #38 on: 15 Apr 2017, 11:15 pm »
looks very interesting at price (because refurbished).. do you think it would be on a par with the Onkyo A 9010 int amp as far as SQ concerned, albeit this receiver has more power, and bells and whistles?

What HiFi really likes the A-9010.

https://www.whathifi.com/onkyo/9010/review

However, I don't think it will play well with your Tannoys that are rated at 4 ohm and a sensitivity of 86dB.  The 9010 is rated at 44wpc at 1khz.  at 8 ohm. 

The 8160 is 80wpc at 8 ohm at 20 to 20.  And it is 4 ohm capable. It has a  higher signal to noise ratio than the 9010  (106 to 95) so in theory it should be quieter. The newer Onkyo 2ch receivers have gotten pretty good reviews.  But they are what they are, budget receivers.  I like the sound of the Marantz 2ch integrateds,  but anything lower than a PM7005 is pretty anemic with low efficiency speakers.  I think that if you pair the Onkyo with a decent DAC you will get pretty good sound.  I run a pair of Monitor Audio S1 speakers with a cheap little Dayton Audio 50wpc digital amp and when I added a decent DAC I was astounded at how good it sounded.

There is a Cambridge Audio 340A integrated for sale on Audiogon for $289 and a Vincent SV-129 intgegrated for $300.   They were pretty good little amps.  Here is a review of the 340

https://www.whathifi.com/cambridge-audio/azur-340a-se/review

Bigfishhk

« Reply #39 on: 17 Apr 2017, 03:27 pm »

There is a Cambridge Audio 340A integrated for sale on Audiogon for $289 and a Vincent SV-129 intgegrated for $300.   They were pretty good little amps.  Here is a review of the 340

https://www.whathifi.com/cambridge-audio/azur-340a-se/review

Hi

thank you for pointing those out. Apart from age, which would be an issue vs a new receiver etc.. which one you think is better suited? From power perspective the Vincent looks better matched to the Totem's.

specs for Vincent-

Frequency range: 20 Hz - 20 kHz +/- 0.5 dB
Nominal output power 8 Ohm: 2 x 50 Watt
Nominal output power 4 Ohm: 2 x 80 Watt
Input sensitivity: 250 mV
Total harmonic distortion: < 0.1 % max. (1 kHz, 1 Watt)
Signal-to-Noise Ratio: > 90 dB

Cambridge
340A
Power output 40 watts (into 8Ω)
50 watts (into 4Ω)
Max power consumption 345w Total harmonic distortion 1kHz < 0.01% 20kHz < 0.09% Frequency response (-1dB) 5Hz - 50kHz S to N ratio (unweighted) 92dB Slew rate (into 8Ω)

thanks

tom