Meze 99 classics - a little gem

sorinv

Meze 99 classics - a little gem
« on: 24 Apr 2016, 05:08 pm »
Finally got some time to listen to the 99 classics I received last week. Although I would not call myself an experienced audiophile, putting these headphones on was a revelation. Suddenly I could hear things that were not there before and a wide soundstage opened in front of me. To quote my daughter when she put them on: "I am in a wide concert hall".

I got these on indiegogo for $200 in September last year (the silver piece, black one looks like too much bling for my taste). Shipping was delayed for a few months, but it was definitely worth the wait. Not sure where they sell them now, but if you can, I recommend to at least test them and see if you like them.

There are some downsides too:
- tight fit that may become tiring. Haven't had time to put them on for a few hours to see how they feel. Short listening session was ok.
- smallish earcups
- braided cable that resonates when touching clothes

I financed their campaign because I wanted to finance a Romanian company (I am from Romania too, but no connection to them) and their idea sounded interesting. I never hoped to get such a quality piece.

Links: their page, indiegogo campaign

milford3

Re: Meze 99 classics - a little gem
« Reply #1 on: 24 Apr 2016, 06:31 pm »
Just finished up all the reviews on the Meze 99 classics.  They all are positive with just a few wrinkles.  I am totally dependent with my LCD 2's and my Beyer T1's along with my Grado RS1's.  Even my Senn DT990 and HD555's get a work out from time to time.  At 309.00 USD the Meze 99 is interesting.  Headphones are my passion so give me ten minutes before I order a pair. :D 

sorinv

« Reply #2 on: 24 Apr 2016, 07:20 pm »
Would be nice to see what a pro thinks of these phones. Just to see if my opinion is based in reality or just a newb interacting with a better than average cans :)

milford3

« Reply #3 on: 28 Apr 2016, 12:25 am »
The Meze 99 classics arrived today.  Break in is in progress.  So far fit and finish is top notch.  The sound of these headphones out of the box has stunned me.  Way more to follow.     

https://www.mezeheadphones.com/

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #4 on: 28 Apr 2016, 01:47 am »
The Meze 99 classics arrived today.  Break in is in progress.  So far fit and finish is top notch.  The sound of these headphones out of the box has stunned me.  Way more to follow.     

https://www.mezeheadphones.com/

Which version did you get? I like the new walnut with silver.

milford3

« Reply #5 on: 28 Apr 2016, 01:00 pm »
I got the walnut gold.  It's so refreshing that a world class headphone can be had for a ridiculous price of $309 (USD).  After one night of listening the Meze 99 ranks up with the Byer T1, and the Audeze LCD2 in sound presentation.  Tonal balance is over the top.  The amp I'm using is the Schiit LYR.  Am I bowled over with this headphone? Oh yeah. 
« Last Edit: 28 Apr 2016, 04:24 pm by milford3 »

FireGuy

« Reply #6 on: 28 Apr 2016, 02:21 pm »
I got the walnut gold.  It's so refreshing that a world class headphone can be had for a ridiculous price of $309 (USD).  After one night of listening the Meze 99 ranks up with the Byer T1, and the Audeze LCD2 in sound presentation.  Tonal balance is over the top.  The amp I'm using is the Schiit LYR.  I'm I bowled over with this headphone? Oh yeah.

Good to hear "real world" feedback that is overwhelmingly positive on products that don't require a 2nd mortgage.    I am very intrigued now with Meze.  If needed I'll take the LCD2's off your hands.

JohnR

« Reply #7 on: 6 May 2016, 08:56 am »
I read that they are shipping with larger pads, although there seems to be some confusion over it. Milford, do you know which ones you have?

John "Dumbo" R

milford3

« Reply #8 on: 6 May 2016, 02:54 pm »
John, I have the standard ear pads.  I also have not heard of the ear pad upgrade.  I will look into (larger ear pad) option.  So far the standard ear pad is just fine with me.  I have headphones that cost three times as much that don't come close to the sound of the Meze 99's.  A gem indeed sir!

brooklyn

« Reply #9 on: 7 May 2016, 04:09 pm »
These headphone do look interesting, I may try a pair in the near future..

Here’s a link with some info on the ear pads.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/794593/meze-99-classics-discussion-impressions-thread/300

spectralman

« Reply #10 on: 1 Jul 2017, 07:27 am »
I own a pr. of the 99 Classics too.  They are damn good and not only for their price.  In some ways, I preferred them over the HEX V2's, enough so that I kept the Mezes and sold the Hifimans.

drumike

« Reply #11 on: 22 Jul 2017, 09:57 pm »
Just received the walnut/gold 99 Classics a few days ago. Does anyone with these hear loud noises if the metal headband is touched or
even when the headband pad is adjusting. I think the sound is called microphonic like when someone taps a microphone to see if it's on.
Is this normal for the Classics or did I get a defective pair? My other headphones don't do this. Appreciate any help.
Thanks, Mike

milford3

« Reply #12 on: 23 Jul 2017, 05:30 am »
Last night I paired my NUFORCE UDAC 3 with the Meze 99's.  Can't say enough with this combo.  I was in shock how good it sounded.   :D

viggen

« Reply #13 on: 15 Aug 2017, 10:44 pm »
how's the weight of this hp on your noggin compared to lcd2?

milford3

« Reply #14 on: 16 Aug 2017, 12:10 am »
The LCD2's are heavy compared to the 99's.  The 99's are fun to listen to.  A bit clampish but worth every penny paid for them.  Bass, mid range and treble are off the charts for the price.  They do need a good amp though.