C&C rca cables

Odal3

C&C rca cables
« on: 1 Jun 2015, 04:26 am »
To get some more posts in my favorite circle, here's a C&C cable to consider:

I recently needed a longer 1/8 to RCA to connect to a ipad/phone. I didn't want to spend much and it had to have a slim connector to fit through the phone case. I also needed it quickly meaning my unfinished diy cable project from last year wouldn't cut it. I have had some bad luck with many of the cheaper ones from PE so I looked elsewhere and came across KabelDirekt which cables sells for about $10 on amazon. I was positively surprised when it arrived! It is by no mean anything super fancy, but it's definitely OK for the money.

If you can believe the marketing: 24k gold-plated connectors/ high quality double shielding/ OFC (Oxygen free Copper) inner conductors.

It's tough to find unbiased reviews of it since it looks like they have done a good job talking it up on amazon and other places. Regardless, if you need a cheap extra cable, it's a least worth checking out. I have had mine for a few months now and so far so good. The RCA fits snug and at least to me it looks nicer than other cables in the same price class such as PE's wired home cables.  Here's the one I got (10ft version): http://www.amazon.com/KabelDirekt-3-5mm-Stereo-Audio-Cable/dp/B00DI89OM6/ref=sr_1_2?s=audio-video-accessories&ie=UTF8&qid=1433131489&sr=1-2&keywords=kabeldirekt

Anyone else has any bargain level cables to recommend?

navi

Re: C&C rca cables
« Reply #1 on: 1 Jun 2015, 05:31 am »
Looks very sturdy.

A few years ago I bought about 30 metres of a Mogami quad core microphone cable (2893). Been using it since with no plans to upgrade. I think it cost me about $4AUD a metre. Couldn't bring myself to spend more money for less than 10% increase in performance.

time get apple TV and ditch the cable?

milford3

« Reply #2 on: 1 Jun 2015, 05:34 am »
I own KabelDirekt cables and adorn them.  A great German product. 

lacro

« Reply #3 on: 1 Jun 2015, 01:27 pm »
I own KabelDirekt cables and adorn them.  A great German product.

Do you offer a 1 ft. version of the RCA cables?

yeldarb

« Reply #4 on: 2 Jun 2015, 01:39 am »
a friend raved about the KabelDirect RCA interconnects.  I listened while he switched out some older Monster with the KD.  The KD were much better.  So, I bought some.  Changed out a very good shielded twisted pair running from my pre to my amp, first.  Big improvement.  I now own several.  I think they are good cables and one hell of a value.  Your opinion may vary, but you can try them for little $.

Odal3

« Reply #5 on: 2 Jun 2015, 02:26 am »
time get apple TV and ditch the cable?

Well - before I started to visit the AC forum most things in my house was more or less wireless. Now I have amps and preamps without remotes, and run multiple cables back and forth to my wife's "delight".  :D

I actually looked into the apple TV a while back, but there was something I was missing at the time (can't remember what), and decided to wait for next generation that never came so I got a chromecast instead.

Odal3

« Reply #6 on: 2 Jun 2015, 03:12 am »
Do you offer a 1 ft. version of the RCA cables?

At least on Amazon, the shortest RCA looks to be 3ft.

Mogami quad core microphone cable (2893)
I'd like to try that when I get some more spare time

t-head

• 'I am sure that I am sure of nothing'
« Reply #7 on: 21 Jun 2015, 04:37 pm »

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #8 on: 21 Jun 2015, 04:52 pm »
While Mogami makes excellent cables, a Star-Quad mic cable is not what I would chose for an RCA interconnect.
Look for one of their coax cables with a very heavy shield.

lacro

« Reply #9 on: 21 Jun 2015, 05:06 pm »
While Mogami makes excellent cables, a Star-Quad mic cable is not what I would chose for an RCA interconnect.

I was wondering that myself. I have read that star quad or twisted pair cable is best suited for balanced interconnects, and coax cables are better suited for un-balanced. Is that correct? I have been looking for a good cable for awhile now, but the thinner the better. I want to make (DIY) some short ones 6-12" and some more at 2-3 feet RCA cables. I want a thin flexible cable that is good quality, but still C&C. Should I be looking for a double shield cable, or is single ok? Two conductors plus shield, or 1 conductor plus shield?
Suggestions??

t-head

« Reply #10 on: 21 Jun 2015, 05:15 pm »
FWIW, I have been happy with DIY RCA interconnects using Mogami 2549 (two conductor OFC and served shield) Furutech Furutech FP-126 (G) RCA (http://www.takefiveaudio.com/mall/shopexd.asp?id=1310)

Using this Viablue 3.5mm plug:

you can diy a very serviceable cable of any length...

For C&C already-made RCA interconnects try these: http://www.svideo.com/singlerca.html

6 in. $6.95, 1 ft $7.95, 3 ft $9.95 up to 50 ft...

made in Japan by Mogami...thin, flexible, good sounding...single 27 awg OFC conductor, coaxial w/ served shield.

t-head

« Reply #11 on: 21 Jun 2015, 05:51 pm »
sorry about the big pics...

I have always felt the served shield to be superior to the foil, but YMMV. The Mogami RCA interconnects mentioned above use a coaxial cable with served shield:

I used these for years until a friend made me a set with 140/40 guage 5 9s transformer wire strands in a cotton 'shoelace' and no shield. They are the most transparent cables I have ever 'heard'...go figure. Anyhow thats my 2 centime on the subject. Listen more, worry less.

Richard

Brad

« Reply #12 on: 18 Aug 2015, 07:19 pm »
Based on this thread, I bought three sets of 1.0m RCAs from Amazon of the KabelDirekt.

They LOOK nice, but only one of the 3 pairs actually passed an audio signal.
Complete and utter garbage.   Avoid!

At least it was only a minor $ hit.

Odal3

« Reply #13 on: 18 Aug 2015, 08:11 pm »
Sorry about the bad experience. The good news is Amazon has a great return policy. Just send them back.

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #14 on: 18 Aug 2015, 08:15 pm »

Why not use this for RCA interconnect cable? I've had them make several for me and they pass the signal well, I here no downside and it's nice wire to work with?

charmerci

« Reply #15 on: 18 Aug 2015, 09:11 pm »
Based on this thread, I bought three sets of 1.0m RCAs from Amazon of the KabelDirekt.

They LOOK nice, but only one of the 3 pairs actually passed an audio signal.
Complete and utter garbage.   Avoid!

At least it was only a minor $ hit.

I have no problems with my Kabeldirekt cable but they are sent from them directly so they may even send you new ones without you sending the old ones back.

I really should do the make-your-own cables as suggest by t-head above.

t-head

« Reply #16 on: 18 Aug 2015, 09:14 pm »
@gregfisk - many folks use the mogami star quad mic cable with good result...opinions vary greatly on the topic of wire...

@brad - try these: http://www.svideo.com/singlerca.html ($9.95 each for 3 ft or $20 for a pair) or these stereo (duplex) cables: http://www.svideo.com/stereocables.html (16.99 for 3ft) they are single conductor with served shield, thin and flexible.

or hunt around forever...listen more, worry less

t-head

« Reply #17 on: 18 Aug 2015, 09:16 pm »
I have no problems with my Kabeldirekt cable but they are sent from them directly so they may even send you new ones without you sending the old ones back.

I really should do the make-your-own cables as suggest by t-head above.

:thumb:

t-head

« Reply #18 on: 18 Aug 2015, 09:37 pm »
the only downside with the Japanese made Mogami interconnects is the tendency of the RCA ends will expand a bit with multiple connections and disconnections. If you are among those who are always fiddling with the interconnects, I recommend these RCAs from Neutrik called Pro-Fi: http://www.parts-express.com/neutrik-nf2c-b-2-profi-professional-rca-plug-pair--092-114 or the Furutek mentioned above...

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #19 on: 18 Aug 2015, 09:47 pm »
I recently purchased a pair of these on Amazon:

They work perfectly and feel plenty sturdy.
Here's the Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004YEBK66?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01