tube preamp to go with my dac4800a

kedoades

tube preamp to go with my dac4800a
« on: 19 Mar 2016, 03:59 pm »
    I am looking to upgrade my preamp and would like to try a tube pre.  I am interested in a preamp that is rich and warm and that is balanced.  thanks

Shear Bliss VMPS

Re: tube preamp to go with my dac4800a
« Reply #1 on: 21 Mar 2016, 05:03 am »
I understand your want to install a tube preamp and usually feel the same way, tube preamp to the power amp. Thou not balanced I was using a tube Audio Mirror T-61 to my Cherry Ultra with no regrets except no balanced ins or outs. I should mention I am running 20ft of RCA ICs to my Cherry Ultra without any problems what so ever (Sonoran Desert) I believe.

Because I have a TL DAC DAC coming from Tommy I wanted to go XLR in and out so swapped in a Classe 35 mkII preamp to be balanced to Amp and DAC ... time will tell there. My wish list is a ARC LS-26 or LS-27 at present. Really have no qualms with the Classe except that glorious midrange that a tube preamp usually excels at.

Still own the T-61 and plan on using it in comparison to the balanced 35 mkII preamp even with its RCAs ..... its that damn sweet, once the TL-DAC DAC gets broken-in.

Congrats on your 4800 amp, you didn't mention what loudspeakers your listening to ?? My choices are VMPS ST/R and Snell Ci whice I am currently running.

Happy trails, Doug

kedoades

« Reply #2 on: 21 Mar 2016, 03:37 pm »
 thanks for the reply Shear Bliss.  I have a pair of tyler acoustic decade d2 speakers.  They are very open and revealing and paired with the dac 4800a and my room acoustics I would like to try a tube preamp to maybe mellow the sound a little.  I have had the dac4800a for a few years now.  I have auditions some other amps many costing more and they just can't do what the 4800a can do with the tyler acoustics.  I am looking at a bat pre.  but am not sure if it is a good match for 4800a or not. 

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #3 on: 21 Mar 2016, 05:05 pm »
thanks for the reply Shear Bliss.  I have a pair of tyler acoustic decade d2 speakers.  They are very open and revealing and paired with the dac 4800a and my room acoustics I would like to try a tube preamp to maybe mellow the sound a little.  I have had the dac4800a for a few years now.  I have auditions some other amps many costing more and they just can't do what the 4800a can do with the tyler acoustics.  I am looking at a bat pre.  but am not sure if it is a good match for 4800a or not.

I own a BAT VK-51se preamp.  Awesome preamp for sure but I would not call it warm but it has great depth, musicality and dynamics.  I think that the newer BAT pre's have a little more warmth though.  the VK-51se is more neutral.  I would consider an Atma-Sphere MP-3 preamp.  It is warmer with a rich midrange.  I actually heard it head to head with an ARC LS27 and preferred the MP-3 for its warmth and stellar midrange.  The LS27 was great sounding too but it did not have the full rich midrange.  The LS27 had  more transparency and air.  Too different flavors of sound, but both excellent.  I would also consider Mac pre's.

kedoades

« Reply #4 on: 21 Mar 2016, 06:26 pm »
  thanks for the info on the bat preamp.   Has anyone ever heard of the allnic l1500 pre that is for sale here.  It seems like it may be a good fit for my 4800a except I really don't know much about this brand

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #5 on: 22 Mar 2016, 04:55 pm »
  thanks for the info on the bat preamp.   Has anyone ever heard of the allnic l1500 pre that is for sale here.  It seems like it may be a good fit for my 4800a except I really don't know much about this brand

Here is a nice review on that preamp.  I would like to buy a used Allnic L-3000 MKii when prices come down is a few years.

http://www.dagogo.com/allnic-l-1500-preamplifier-review

kedoades

« Reply #6 on: 22 Mar 2016, 06:26 pm »
  Hi I Greyhound Fan,  I did happen to read that review.  The sound was discribed as being mellow, which is what I am looking for.  But the review also stated that tube rolling was not much of an option.  I would like the option to roll tubes,  that being said this does look like a very nice preamp, thanks

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #7 on: 23 Mar 2016, 04:26 am »
Not knowing your budget, I would still consider an Atma-Sphere MP-3

http://www.atma-sphere.com/Products/#MP-3

I have not heard this preamp but I have read about it= Aesthetix Calypso

http://www.upscaleaudio.com/preamplifiers/aesthetix-calypso-used/

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
« Reply #8 on: 23 Mar 2016, 04:44 pm »
Here is a nice review on that preamp.  I would like to buy a used Allnic L-3000 MKii when prices come down is a few years.

http://www.dagogo.com/allnic-l-1500-preamplifier-review
After discussing this with a friend, this is probably your best bet considering the match with the DAC4800A.  Thanks.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #9 on: 23 Mar 2016, 05:12 pm »

I did not mean to scare you away from BAT preamps.  The newer versions like the 52se and above have a warmer sound compared to the 51se.  But check the models as many use the 6H30 super tube and there are no tube rolling options for that tube unfortunately.  The 51se uses 8 of these tubes.

The VK-53se is supposed to be a big step up in sound from the 51 and 52 models.

kedoades

« Reply #10 on: 23 Mar 2016, 06:55 pm »
  Hello and thanks again I Greyhound.  The bat pre that I was interested in is on audiogon, the vk32se.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #11 on: 24 Mar 2016, 03:16 am »
  Hello and thanks again I Greyhound.  The bat pre that I was interested in is on audiogon, the vk32se.

That is a very good preamp.  I was looking at the 32se as it is supposed to have a more tube sound than the 51se.  But I could not find one at a good price and  I found the 51se which stereophile called one of the best preamps in the world at the time back in 2003.  The 32se is a lower but newer model.  The 32se does allow for tube rolling

http://balanced.com/p-vk-32se

kedoades

« Reply #12 on: 26 Mar 2016, 01:05 pm »
  Yeah I am trying to decide between the bat and the alnic,  I am leaning toward  the allnic.

mfsoa

« Reply #13 on: 26 Mar 2016, 01:42 pm »
I have used two fine tube preamps w/ my DAC amps.
VAC Standard LE, back when I had my 4800 then Cherry, then Cherry Monos etc.
Now a CAT SL-1 Ultimate w/ my Maraschinos.
The VAC has XLR outs but the CAT does not. The RCA-XLR adapters do matter! I use the $$ Cardas ones - much better than el-cheapos.
The VAC would have probably been a better match for the Maras (tubey-er pre w/ faster, cleaner Maras) while the CAT may have been best w/ the big-uns (Super-fast non-tubey pre w. the fuller sounding big Cherries) but that's just how the timing worked out.

In any case the amps always sounded great, as they did when I had to briefly substitute a SS Forte Model 40 pre.

-Mike

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #14 on: 26 Mar 2016, 03:37 pm »
The VAC has XLR outs but the CAT does not. The RCA-XLR adapters do matter! I use the $$ Cardas ones - much better than el-cheapos.
The VAC would have probably been a better match for the Maras (tubey-er pre w/ faster, cleaner Maras) while the CAT may have been best w/ the big-uns (Super-fast non-tubey pre w. the fuller sounding big Cherries) but that's just how the timing worked out.

In any case the amps always sounded great, as they did when I had to briefly substitute a SS Forte Model 40 pre.

-Mike
Just a quick note about the RCA adapters....

For the DAC4800A and Classic Cherry amplifiers, you need a lifted GND.  Otherwise, you may get hum. Most off the shelf adapters connect the shell and pin 1 to GND.  This is fine (recommended even) with Maraschino, but depending on your preamp, best to have a pair of GND LIFT adapters like the ones we provide.  Or....  You can just use a balanced output preamp (recommended).  Thanks.

-Tommy O

kedoades

« Reply #15 on: 26 Mar 2016, 04:45 pm »
After discussing this with a friend, this is probably your best bet considering the match with the DAC4800A.  Thanks.

Hi, Tommy, so your friend thinks the Allnic is the way to go.  I am about to make an offer,  just a little nervous cause I have never audition or heard any Allnic before

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #16 on: 26 Mar 2016, 10:55 pm »
Hi, Tommy, so your friend thinks the Allnic is the way to go.  I am about to make an offer,  just a little nervous cause I have never audition or heard any Allnic before
Good luck and please remember to post here to let us know how it went !
Thanks.

-Tommy O

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #17 on: 26 Mar 2016, 11:22 pm »

-Mike

My experience with XLR adapters are different than yours.  I have a pair of Cardas adapters and some cheap adapters that I bought from Guitar Center and I can't tell a difference.  It just may be cable or system dependent.   In any event, I don't use them any more since the system is fully balanced.
« Last Edit: 27 Mar 2016, 02:59 am by I.Greyhound Fan »

mfsoa

« Reply #18 on: 26 Mar 2016, 11:24 pm »
Sorry if I posted anything misleading or over-simplified. I never had a hint of hum problem w/ any DAC amp w/ any preamp.
Yes, they do seem to like pres w/ balanced outs but I am having excellent results w/ RCA outs w/ the Cardas adapters.
Nice to know there is a predictable fix if someone does have a hummer they don't want.

-Mike

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #19 on: 27 Mar 2016, 12:27 am »
Sorry if I posted anything misleading or over-simplified. I never had a hint of hum problem w/ any DAC amp w/ any preamp.
Yes, they do seem to like pres w/ balanced outs but I am having excellent results w/ RCA outs w/ the Cardas adapters.
Nice to know there is a predictable fix if someone does have a hummer they don't want.

-Mike
I think there was a pun there....