Pioneer SP-BS22-LR speakers are really nice.

jackman

Re: Pioneer SP-BS22-LR speakers are really nice.
« Reply #820 on: 17 Aug 2014, 02:38 am »
I'm on an iPhone and it's hard to see previous posts without straining my eyes. It sucks to get old.

Flyin_V

« Reply #821 on: 17 Aug 2014, 05:29 pm »
Looks like they're back @ $60...but Dennis Murphy's modded ones are a whole lot better....

http://www.hhgregg.com/pioneer-2-way-bookshelf-speaker-2-in-box-price-for-each-/item/SPBS22

Lary

hifitommy

the whole line of the Andrew Jones speakers are nice.
« Reply #822 on: 17 Aug 2014, 06:54 pm »
the whole line of the Andrew Jones speakers are nice and are matched for HT use.  i agree with all the positive comments here and just assume that people will place these on stands and away from the walls.

of course, as soon as i put my Magneplanar MMGs in their place, i had to prefer the maggies.  BUT they are six times the price which makes the bs22s a true bargain.  i wasn't aching for more before i made the switch. 

check prices at amazon each week and the prices will go down to $90 like i paid and the link below will show the whole line of the Jones designs for pioneer.  that would make a darn nice HT system:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=pioneer%20sp-bs22

srb

« Reply #823 on: 17 Aug 2014, 08:07 pm »
Looks like they're back @ $60...but Dennis Murphy's modded ones are a whole lot better....
http://www.hhgregg.com/pioneer-2-way-bookshelf-speaker-2-in-box-price-for-each-/item/SPBS22

HH Gregg is the only one who has it on sale right now - Amazon, B&H Photo, Best Buy, Frys, Newegg & Parts Express are all currently $127 - $130/pair.

Amazon has had a few "$60 sales", but they only lasted for a day or two at the most.  The center and sub are also on sale, so at HH Gregg right now (or Amazon if they go back on supersale) you can get the 5.1 system for $250 (4 X BS22 @ $30/ea, C22 Center @ $50 and SW8MKII Sub @ $80).

Steve

dlparker

• Dave Parker - KC, MO
    • DontKnowNuthinBoutNoComputers
« Reply #824 on: 17 Aug 2014, 08:18 pm »

Lary

I'll second Lary's comment on Dennis's mods. I got a stock pair and made Dennis's recommended mods (swap tweeter, add cap to x-over) and the difference is pretty noticeable. I'd say save yourself the extra hassle of doing the mods yourself and get them from Dennis. 2 pair of the mains and one of the centers with the mods, plus a GR Research sub would be a heck of a system for music or home theater.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #825 on: 21 Aug 2014, 02:50 am »
I'll second Lary's comment on Dennis's mods. I got a stock pair and made Dennis's recommended mods (swap tweeter, add cap to x-over) and the difference is pretty noticeable. I'd say save yourself the extra hassle of doing the mods yourself and get them from Dennis. 2 pair of the mains and one of the centers with the mods, plus a GR Research sub would be a heck of a system for music or home theater.

Thanks Lary.  Just so there isn't any confusion,  the mod you implemented in the field is kind of a stop-gap version for people who already have the stock Pioneers.  The modded version I sell has much more extensive revisions to the crossover, plus added sound treatment for the cabinet.  I know Danny at GR research sells some good stuff--just for my own edification, which subs are you recommending and how much do they cost?   thanks

Flyin_V

« Reply #826 on: 21 Aug 2014, 04:00 am »
Thanks Lary.  Just so there isn't any confusion,  the mod you implemented in the field is kind of a stop-gap version for people who already have the stock Pioneers.  The modded version I sell has much more extensive revisions to the crossover, plus added sound treatment for the cabinet.  I know Danny at GR research sells some good stuff--just for my own edification, which subs are you recommending and how much do they cost?   thanks

Hey Dennis,

I have a pair of your modded ones. It was dlparker with the field mods and sub woofer comments.

Compared to the stock ones I had, yours are more transparent top to bottom. The top end is a significant improvement with the new tweeter and the bottom end (to 60 Hz, same as a stock pair) is cleaner and better defined. Mid range a good deal cleaner too. I highly recommend yours to anyone on the fence about buying an affordable, stand mounted speaker.

Cheers,

Lary

dlparker

• Dave Parker - KC, MO
« Reply #827 on: 21 Aug 2014, 04:41 am »

Sounds like I should give your modded speakers a try. If I ever go 5.1, the ones I've got now would make good surrounds with your modded mains and center.

The sub I have (but am not using now) is a Hsu Research STF-2. The bass with an AVA Insight+ power amp is pretty impressive. I'd like to try a couple of servo subs, but that'll be after I get new mains.

dlparker

• Dave Parker - KC, MO
« Reply #828 on: 21 Aug 2014, 05:16 am »

I'd be interested in hearing some recommendations for a servo-controlled sub (ideally a couple) for a small room, about 18'x14'x7'10" to match with your modded SP-BS22s.

hukkfinn

« Reply #829 on: 25 Aug 2014, 12:12 pm »
As I listened more last night, I got more disappointed, and I will return these speakers.

I go to my home office and work or surf the net a bit at night while listening to great imaging and detail with my EE M88 integrated and GR N3s.  Then, I go to the living room and I cannot deal with the decrease in sound quality, with the pioneers, really.  I would rather get a couple of N1X from GR Research, which was my original plan anyway.

But, it was worthwhile experiment.

I would like to thank Andre2 for this post.  It is the first I've seen that really rejects the BS22.  For those of us who haven't yet bought a pair, it's good to know both the raves and some thumbs-down about this product.  (Although I'll still probably try a pair, lol)

ToddW

« Reply #830 on: 25 Aug 2014, 03:14 pm »
Amazon has them on sale today for $86.99.

Todd Willhoit

« Reply #831 on: 25 Aug 2014, 03:22 pm »
On sale at Amazon today.  $86.99

srb

« Reply #832 on: 25 Aug 2014, 03:57 pm »
On sale at Amazon today.  $86.99

And depending who you like to shop with

$87.99 - Newegg
$90.99 - B&H Photo, Best Buy (will price match) and Parts Express

Some of these vendors may not charge the sales tax in your locale that Amazon will

Steve

putterman

« Reply #833 on: 27 Aug 2014, 02:24 pm »
I have 3 Pioneer SP-C22 centers that I want to use as fronts and center  in a home theater system. Mr. Murphy seemed to indicate that these used a different Vifa tweeter and that there wasn't any need to modify the crossover. Can he or someone supply the Part# and confirm or deny about not needing mods? Thanks.  8)

Flyin_V

« Reply #834 on: 28 Aug 2014, 09:24 pm »
In keeping with the C&C theme, has anyone tried Ed Schilling's bucket sub with these little guys? Should be mini bucks for mega sound.  :D

I don't have space for a sub or I would gladly build a pair (or two).

Cheers,

Lary
« Last Edit: 29 Aug 2014, 03:41 am by Flyin_V »

rlee8394

« Reply #835 on: 29 Aug 2014, 11:14 am »

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #836 on: 30 Aug 2014, 05:09 pm »
I have 3 Pioneer SP-C22 centers that I want to use as fronts and center  in a home theater system. Mr. Murphy seemed to indicate that these used a different Vifa tweeter and that there wasn't any need to modify the crossover. Can he or someone supply the Part# and confirm or deny about not needing mods? Thanks.  8)

I just replied to this on the DIY page documenting the monitor mod.   The short answer is--the center doesn't use a Vifa tweeter and it would benefit from switch to the Vifa with associated crossover changes.

bummrush

« Reply #837 on: 30 Aug 2014, 05:59 pm »
They are good for what you pay.But its the same in the end you get what you pay for.

bummrush

« Reply #838 on: 30 Aug 2014, 06:04 pm »
I got mine for 50 inc shipping , pretty hsrd to beat that.My much bigger Clements are god like 20 yrs old beat the pioneers in clarity , and no comparison. But it does show just how much quality my Clements have .

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #839 on: 9 Sep 2014, 02:28 pm »
Hi Dennis,

I finally got around to modding the 22's I have...I saw MCM_Fan's build thread.

Ordered the parts from Parts Express and it took about 8 hours on and off to mode them with the Radio Shack perf board method
That MFM_Fan has in his thread.

Great thread and makes it really simple for DIY'ers to do successfully.

Just have to be careful not to pool a speaker with a screwdriver!!! LOL.

The speakers to me now are quite listenable for sure, before the bass was rather boom in my room.... all that is gone now.
Think the foam padding and your woofer adjectment did the trick for me.

Thanks again for your hard work with these!

Alex
« Last Edit: 9 Sep 2014, 04:39 pm by adydula »