Felix meets the Squeezebox

GBB

Construction details
« Reply #20 on: 1 Feb 2008, 09:39 pm »
First of all, let me say how much I appreciate the interest people have shown in this thread and the very nice private messages that I've gotten regarding this project.  That said, I'm going to have to request that people not ask me for a blow by blow description of how one can build one's own version.

I've been talking to Occam / Paul about the many requests we've been getting for more details on how to build the Felix.  Quite a few folks have asked for pictures of the inside of the Felix to aid in the construction.
After bouncing this around, we've decided to politely decline and not post any pictures.  Our reasoning is that if someone needs anything beyond a schematic to build it, then they shouldn't be attempting it. The Felix involves potentially very harmful AC voltages. If one isn't comfortable building it with just the schematic, then it's an indication that you may be in over your head and shouldn't try to build it.

If you go back to the original Felix thread, the reason that Paul didn't provide specific detailed plans was based upon his experience with the prior Felicia project. On that project, he answered specific build questions, both on thread and in PM, and it ended up taking hundreds of hours of his time.  It is unreasonable to expect such hand holding from Paul or me.

So all we can offer you is the schematic which has been redrawn to shown exactly what I built.

If you can't build a Felix from the schematic alone, you shouldn't be taking on this project.

All the best.

---Gary
« Last Edit: 13 Feb 2008, 09:03 pm by GBB »

rajacat

• Washington State
Re: Felix meets the Squeezebox
« Reply #21 on: 1 Feb 2008, 10:04 pm »
Thanks Gary,

I'm going to order the parts today. Your schematic is very clear and unless one has absolutely no inclination to learn about the details of electronic construction, the build should be no problem. It would be great if this filter would render optional the need for a very expensive Squeezebox power supply for quite and clear sound quality.

-Roy

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
« Reply #22 on: 1 Feb 2008, 11:21 pm »
Works for me.  Thanks Gary & Paul.

Russ

Hap

« Reply #23 on: 2 Feb 2008, 08:16 am »
Gary,

Am one of the guilty persons who have either sent PM's or posts to Occam about the Felix and Felicia.
Any feedback or suggestions is always greatly appreciated.
You people willingly provide the DIY circle with so much information, which as you stated takes up a whole lot of your personal time.

You probably know this already, but the original Felix used .47uf x rates caps on the C1 and C4 positions; with the typical 1/5 - 1/20 prior value bypass caps.
It also used the 2.3amp J.W. Miller 8109 CMC.
Anyone interested in this can view the original plans in the Felix Project thread.

In lieu of the "free samples" currently being offered, the J.W. Miller CMC's work extremely well and are fairly cheap; in relation to what the JR filters use.

Cheers.

jhm731

« Reply #24 on: 2 Feb 2008, 08:59 am »
 The combination of the Felix and the stock switching supply sounds outstanding and in fact it sounds better than either the linear supply on its own or the linear supply and the Felix combination.  I'm not sure I can explain why this is true but it's an obvious difference. 

What linear supply were you using?

Did the linear sound better than the stock switching supply before the addition of the Felix?

PS- The Felix isn't anything new, MauiMods.com has been installing a similar line filter in their TacT mods for over two years.

PPS- Anyone who can't solder, can purchase an off the shelf line filter like the ones from Schurter and get similar
results.

GBB

« Reply #25 on: 2 Feb 2008, 05:35 pm »
What linear supply were you using?

Did the linear sound better than the stock switching supply before the addition of the Felix?

Dan / jhm731,
Welcome to the thread.
Yes - the linear supply sounded better than the stock switching supply before the addition of the Felix.
The linear supply is a fairly hefty surplus one that I picked up.  To put it in context it's probably similar to some of the Elpac's that folks may be familiar with.  I upgraded with better quality diodes and caps but it's still fairly basic.  I've got an even better supply, an old HP lab supply that I need to haul out and use for another comparison when I get the time.

Regarding off the shelf filters, I've found that they are not close to the quality that the Felix delivers.  Have you actually  built a Felix and done the comparison? 

---Gary

p.s.  You might want to cut down on the ads for your friends - they don't really belong here.  And if you have some sort of professional interest in all this then you should note the Audiocircle rules for people in the audio industry.  http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=42858.0
Please don't discuss this further here - this is just fyi.

jhm731

« Reply #26 on: 2 Feb 2008, 08:41 pm »
Gary-

I'm not in the "audio industy." 

I built line filters similar to the Felix over two years ago to replace the filtered PEMs in my TacT gear.

Yes, I think they're better than the off the shelf units.

BTW, here's another option for people that don't want to mess with a soldering iron:

http://www.exactpower.com/products/epds/index.html

The EPDS also has line filters which are similar to the Felix, but uses custom made parts.
« Last Edit: 3 Feb 2008, 06:34 am by jhm731 »

JoshK

« Reply #27 on: 3 Feb 2008, 04:04 am »
I don't think I'd call results with a Schurter similar to a Felix. 

JDUBS

« Reply #28 on: 3 Feb 2008, 04:59 am »
I would think that people that "don't want to mess with a soldering iron" aren't visiting The Lab much.

tanchiro58

« Reply #29 on: 3 Feb 2008, 07:35 am »
Who would want to purchase Exact Power EPDS here is the retail price:

http://www.tube-pod.com/vendor/index.cfm?vid=1

I would not. My felix costs less than $70.00.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #30 on: 3 Feb 2008, 07:41 am »
I would think that people that "don't want to mess with a soldering iron" aren't visiting The Lab much.
I don't know if thats true Jim....I read every post here and find it very interesting....and I've never built anything. :?

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #31 on: 3 Feb 2008, 12:48 pm »
kryrill,

What are you trying to do, discourage the DIY approach?  This is the Lab circle. It seems that DIY should be encouraged not only as a way to save $s but as a learning experience.

-Roy
« Last Edit: 3 Feb 2008, 06:06 pm by rajacat »

JDUBS

« Reply #32 on: 3 Feb 2008, 03:14 pm »
I don't know if thats true Jim....I read every post here and find it very interesting....and I've never built anything. :?

Right Chris, but you're also not suggesting retail "alternatives".  This Circle is all about DIY, afaik.

kyrill

« Reply #33 on: 3 Feb 2008, 04:16 pm »
kryrill,

What are you trying to do, discourage the DIY approach? :nono: This is the Lab circle. It seems that DIY should be encouraged not only as a way to save $s but as a learning experience.

-Roy
No Roy dont mess with facts :nono: DIY is not a religion to withhold any fact that somehow doesn't fit the ideology
DiY is very nice but mostly borne out of  the need to save  money
i strongly belief 80% of DIY will divert their skills to something else if they can have their "object of desire" cheaper with the same quality if bought in a retail store

Occam

« Reply #34 on: 3 Feb 2008, 05:46 pm »
No Roy don't mess with facts :nono: DIY is not a religion to withhold any fact that somehow doesn't fit the ideology
DiY is very nice but mostly borne out of  the need to save  money
i strongly belief 80% of DIY will divert their skills to something else if they can have their "object of desire" cheaper with the same quality if bought in a retail store

Kyrill,

Don't presume.... [and to everybody, please DON'T use that wagging finger smiley in the Lab Circle unless its to save others from physical danger. Its downright patronizing and does nothing but antangonize] I don't diy to save money, I diy because I enjoy it, and get better performance. I believe Gary is in a similar position. He owns a Transporter, but prefers to apply his considerable engineering skills to bring his SB, by his metrics, to provide performance levels beyond that what he gets on his Transporter. The turn of this thread only serves confirm that no good deed goes unpunished.

The fact that folks here hijack GBB's thread to tout their friend's products, speaks well for their loyalty, but also belies their limited  understanding of filter theory/implementation. If one doesn't understand the tradeoffs between current capability and filter efficacy, after repeated efforts to explain, I've done my best, and see no need from either myself or Gary to belabor the point. Indeed, the Lab Circle is about DIY, but it is ALSO about theory. I try to discuss theory, but most folks don't seem willing to make the effort.

This thread is now restricted to discussion of Gary's design. If you're not willing to build it, or confine your comments to that specific design, feel free to post on another thread. I'll take out my pruning shears. :evil:

FWIW,
Paul, as Facilitator of the Lab Circle

JoshK

« Reply #35 on: 3 Feb 2008, 05:58 pm »
The information is here for those who wish to see/use it.  There will be those who, like Kyrill, think it'll never stack up to a commercial product.  If it makes them feel better to believe such, than to each his own.

Most DIY'ers I know, may or may not have started out diy'ing because of the money (typically as an engineering studend in college) but it quickly goes much beyond that.  But this isn't a thread about the motivations of DIY'ers.  it is about the efficacy of the Felix with the SB.

mgalusha

« Reply #36 on: 3 Feb 2008, 07:22 pm »
I'll contact the vendor on Monday and apprise them of the situation. If they can't sell onesies, twosies to the public, I'll try to arrange a group buy.

Paul,

If you do arrange a group buy, I'll take 6 of them.

Mike

JoshK

« Reply #37 on: 3 Feb 2008, 07:51 pm »
I'd be in for a few more, but I am not chompin at the bit though.

tanchiro58

« Reply #38 on: 4 Feb 2008, 06:20 am »
This is a picture of my Felix:

Thanks to JoshK, Occam and Gary to post this possibility of easy-to-built project. I am enjoying my sweet musics. Just for now testing with CI VDC-SB+Modded SB3. Will test with switch PS and DIY Linear PS.

Best regards,
Tan
« Last Edit: 4 Feb 2008, 06:34 am by tanchiro58 »

GBB

« Reply #39 on: 4 Feb 2008, 06:32 am »
This is a picture of my Felix . . .

Just for now testing with CI VDC-SB+Modded SB3. Will test with switch PS and DIY PS.

Tan,
Nice work and thanks for sharing the picture of your latest creation.

I look forward to hearing the results of your listening tests.

---Gary