Tube Amplifiers: Your wish list of properties

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
Tube Amplifiers: Your wish list of properties
« on: 17 Feb 2010, 12:52 am »
I can design a wide variation of tube amplifier circuits. There is a set number of topologies, but how they are wired, tuned and modified is limitless. That's why there are hundreds of push-pull amps and they all sound differently.

What qualities do you like to see in an amplifier?

I think this thread is more dedicated to people who are always changing out gear because the sound is never "spot on". I will take it at this point that you're comfortable with your speakers and listening arrangement. Now it's time to move one step back in the arrangement: Your amplifier.

Something is not right- what needs changing? You do not have to provide the name of the amp you're using, just what you'd like to hear to make things better.

Please note: I realize we all have a different 'spin' on what sounds good. There is no right and wrong. I saw a post today where someone wants a system with low dynamic range. So be it! That's fine. What do you like and want?

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: Tube Amplifiers: Your wish list of properties
« Reply #1 on: 17 Feb 2010, 12:58 am »
you're a machine...you never stop! 

That's a good thing though.   :thumb:  Just don't know how you get work done.   :D

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #2 on: 17 Feb 2010, 01:07 am »
Long days! Typically 5:30AM to 9PM. I stop every once in a while for an oil change.

you're a machine...you never stop! 

That's a good thing though.   :thumb:  Just don't know how you get work done.   :D

pardales

« Reply #3 on: 17 Feb 2010, 01:36 am »
I guess I want it all. Maybe most of all, I want to be moved by my music and the sound of my system. Toe tapping, head nodding, total absorption. Is that too much to ask?

mcullinan

« Reply #4 on: 17 Feb 2010, 01:52 am »
I picked up my first tube amp! A Manley Mahi Mahi! I hope it has it all! If not I will be looking to you!
Mike :D

jazzcourier

« Reply #5 on: 17 Feb 2010, 03:36 pm »
I want to build a system around a pair of vintage JBL C36 enclosure speakers i have owned for 40 years.This would be for a small room with vinyl only.The C36 have a one D130 low frequency driver and a 075 high frequency driver the crossover network is either N2600 or 2400.There is a nice pair on Ebay right now.I want a tube amp,tube preamp with a killer phono stage.What say you?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #6 on: 17 Feb 2010, 04:09 pm »
Hi NiteShade,
I want a amp with explosive transients, strong bass, soft mid and treble. I never own a tube amp and only listen a Dynaco 70 and a BAT VK75SE and do not like both.
Aside this I like tube amps just by the possibility of choose the parts I like, as tubes, hard wire 14awg(copper or silver), thick aluminium or wood chassis, big Toroidal transformers, manual Bias, circuit topology(mu follower, ciclotron, SEP) etc...
Thanks for open this thread, I apreciated your interest,
Gustavo

BobM

« Reply #7 on: 17 Feb 2010, 04:13 pm »
It need to do what tubes do best - bloom, atmosphere, silky and extended highs, and tube magic

And it needs to do what SS does best, tight and controlled, extended bass without bloat, detailed soundstaging and imaging, low maintenance

That's all.  :lol:

Duke

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.audiokinesis.com
« Reply #8 on: 19 Feb 2010, 08:19 am »
A couple of friends of mine did some research into distortion perception, which they described in two papers presented to the Audio Engineering Societ.  Briefly, they found that standard measurements of distortion are the wrong yardstick if correlation with perception is the priority.  They proposed a new distortion metric which correlates exceptionally well with perception.  It's called the "GedLee Metric", and from what I understand it has interesting implications for amplifier design.  Specifically, what happens at very low levels (like crossover distortion) is of far greater audible significance than THD numbers would lead one to believe.  The phenomenon of auditory masking plays a very significant role in distortion perception, and when masking isn't taking place we find certain types of distortion quite irritating.  Other types are benign; 30% second harmonic distortion was statistically only borderline detectable, and not judged to be objectionable.   

Anyway, you might check out "Auditory Perception of Nonlinear Distortion - Theory",  and "Auditory Perception of Nonlinear Distortion", by Earl Geddes and Lydia Lee, from the 115th AES convention, October 2003.  I think there's a synopsis at their website, www.gedlee.com.

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #9 on: 20 Feb 2010, 01:13 am »
The beauty of custom amps is...you ask, it gets done!  :D

I am VERY interested in circlotrons! The concept is refreshing and combines the highlights of OTL and transformer coupling and pretty much scrubs all the cons out.

Hi NiteShade,
I want a amp with explosive transients, strong bass, soft mid and treble. I never own a tube amp and only listen a Dynaco 70 and a BAT VK75SE and do not like both.
Aside this I like tube amps just by the possibility of choose the parts I like, as tubes, hard wire 14awg(copper or silver), thick aluminium or wood chassis, big Toroidal transformers, manual Bias, circuit topology(mu follower, ciclotron, SEP) etc...
Thanks for open this thread, I apreciated your interest,
Gustavo

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #10 on: 20 Feb 2010, 01:24 am »
Thank you for the reading material.  :thumb:

Perception of quality is an interesting topic: Many people buy according to specifications. It's a rational approach, but can lead to major disappointment. I can't tell you how many amps have similar specs yet ALL sound different!

A couple of friends of mine did some research into distortion perception, which they described in two papers presented to the Audio Engineering Societ.  Briefly, they found that standard measurements of distortion are the wrong yardstick if correlation with perception is the priority.  They proposed a new distortion metric which correlates exceptionally well with perception.  It's called the "GedLee Metric", and from what I understand it has interesting implications for amplifier design.  Specifically, what happens at very low levels (like crossover distortion) is of far greater audible significance than THD numbers would lead one to believe.  The phenomenon of auditory masking plays a very significant role in distortion perception, and when masking isn't taking place we find certain types of distortion quite irritating.  Other types are benign; 30% second harmonic distortion was statistically only borderline detectable, and not judged to be objectionable.   

Anyway, you might check out "Auditory Perception of Nonlinear Distortion - Theory",  and "Auditory Perception of Nonlinear Distortion", by Earl Geddes and Lydia Lee, from the 115th AES convention, October 2003.  I think there's a synopsis at their website, www.gedlee.com.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #11 on: 12 Mar 2010, 06:23 am »
The beauty of custom amps is...you ask, it gets done!  :D

I am VERY interested in circlotrons! The concept is refreshing and combines the highlights of OTL and transformer coupling and pretty much scrubs all the cons out.
Circlotron circuit is so good it works even with solid-state devices.

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #12 on: 12 Mar 2010, 11:35 am »
Yes, circlotrons are what you want when a bipolar power supply is used. It has many applications.