Wild Burro Bestsy to be used in 5.1 HT

Old Audiophile

Wild Burro Bestsy to be used in 5.1 HT
« on: 8 Mar 2013, 10:28 pm »
I was wondering if any of you good folks have had any experience using the Betsys in a HT environment?  I would like to use 3 (LF-C-RF) on open baffles for the front stage of my 5.1 HT setup.  The way I would use them is on a shelf approx 8ft above the 60in monitor angled down towards the listener.  I was hoping that they would play down to the mid 60s and I would use a sun for the lower bass.  My question is about the size of the baffle and if I should use wings.  The width of the shelf is 10ft.  Any help and advise is appreciated.  The pic enclosed is what the setup basically looks like.
Thanking you in advance, Bill.

Sam-fi

Re: Wild Burro Bestsy to be used in 5.1 HT
« Reply #1 on: 18 Mar 2013, 07:21 pm »
I'm going to bump this because I am very interested in hearing an answer.  :wink:

Nate Hansen

« Reply #2 on: 18 Mar 2013, 10:05 pm »
Sorry, you won't get any wide range 8" driver down to 60 hz on an open baffle, at least with any kind of appreciable output. If you need something small in size this is not the way to go. If you can have a woofer run up to 200+ to go with the Betsy's you'd be in good shape, but that won't fit on your shelf  :duh: and you need more than a few inches behind a dipole.

FWIW the Betsy's were my first DIY project a couple years ago. On a 2' wide baffle they were rolling of around 2-300hz if I remember right. I had the lower Q K model though.

JCS

« Reply #3 on: 19 Mar 2013, 02:49 pm »
An OB that close to the wall is doomed to failure IMO.  I have built a pair of MJK's small, passive OBs.  They sound fabulous about 3' from the front wall and 2' from the side walls.  Closer in, bad things start to happen in the mid-range, never mind the bass.

And as has been mentioned, they would need baffles of significant size to get down anywhere near 100 Hz.

Cheers,  Jim

Poultrygeist

« Reply #4 on: 31 Mar 2013, 09:07 pm »
This is the smallest baffle I've used with the Betsy and it has to be pulled out into the room. Without the helper woofers, bass would be limited.