Sony HAP-Z1ES Music Server

Rob50

Re: Sony HAP-Z1ES Music Server
« Reply #360 on: 9 Sep 2014, 05:03 pm »
Glad you got it working again. I'd be tempted to ditch that new router.

There's a selection to delete a track somewhere in the menus (sorry I can't be more specific, I don't recall exactly where and I'm not near my unit right now)

Thanks, i'm just relieved I got my old router to work ! A track that doesn't transfer properly, i.e. shows artist info, e.t.c. but is not playable, is not possible to remove, unless you do a factory re-set, I believe ? ( Which happened quite a few times during the router fiasco. ) I think it's just a bit of an OCD thing for me, not being able to remove these non playable files from the list.

bwillcox

« Reply #361 on: 9 Sep 2014, 07:52 pm »
Thanks, i'm just relieved I got my old router to work ! A track that doesn't transfer properly, i.e. shows artist info, e.t.c. but is not playable, is not possible to remove, unless you do a factory re-set, I believe ? ( Which happened quite a few times during the router fiasco. ) I think it's just a bit of an OCD thing for me, not being able to remove these non playable files from the list.

Well, I have not tried to remove unplayable files. Seems strange that they wouldn't allow that. The unplayable ones are the ones a person would most often want to remove (like multichannel files that it refuses to play).

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #362 on: 9 Sep 2014, 10:09 pm »
I think you need the remote app to delete... hold your finger on the track or album you want to erase and after a second a menu will pop up with the delete option.

OzarkTom

« Reply #363 on: 11 Sep 2014, 12:27 pm »
Frustrated, I contacted Sony support about the internet radio last night. Info was, there is a communication problem between Sony and vtuner, but should be resolved permently soon.

I sure hope so.

Rob50

« Reply #364 on: 15 Sep 2014, 11:14 am »
I think you need the remote app to delete... hold your finger on the track or album you want to erase and after a second a menu will pop up with the delete option.

I don't have an android device.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #365 on: 15 Sep 2014, 02:51 pm »

You might want to go buy a simple tablet, not having the remote app would be a huge issue for me. And the remote app does things you can't do on the front panel.

I got a tablet and am actually glad I did, it's handy! My laptop is big and has a lot of fan noise, the tablet is nice to use for a lot of things. I even got a little bluetooth keyboard for $30, it's like a mini-laptop with the keyboard.

steve in jersey

« Reply #366 on: 15 Sep 2014, 03:07 pm »

Any of the IPad models will also work

bwillcox

« Reply #367 on: 15 Sep 2014, 03:17 pm »
Any of the IPad models will also work

Hardly in the inexpensive category, though. If you don't already have/use an iPad I wouldn't buy one for this. :)

gbeard

• Contributing writer--Positive Feedback
« Reply #368 on: 15 Sep 2014, 04:50 pm »
I bought a Nexus 7 for mine. It works well. A bigger screen would be better, but for the price I think it is a good tablet and very handy for the HAP.

bwillcox

« Reply #369 on: 15 Sep 2014, 05:29 pm »
I bought a Nexus 7 for mine. It works well. A bigger screen would be better, but for the price I think it is a good tablet and very handy for the HAP.

Actually, I have a Nexus 7 and a Nexus 10 and have tried/used both. There are some things about the larger tablet that I liked, but it just felt too big for how I use the device to control and monitor what's going on with the Sony. I must confess, though, that I'm no particular fan of any of my tablets or smartphone. Could be an age/profession thing with me (I've been in software development for nearly 50 years now). I like 'real' computers. :)

Rob50

« Reply #370 on: 16 Sep 2014, 07:20 am »
Hardly in the inexpensive category, though. If you don't already have/use an iPad I wouldn't buy one for this. :)

I have to agree. I certainly don't want to spend £400 on an ipad, just for this issue. I could buy a cheaper tablet, but then, you get what you pay for !
So unless my two year old laptop goes kaput, I don't think i'll be buying one. I find it annoying that many websites / technologies,  are now geared towards android devices / apps e.t.c. which isn't any good to the pc / laptop user !

Stercom

« Reply #371 on: 16 Sep 2014, 09:49 am »
I continue to be impressed by the ease of use and sound quality of the HAP-Z1ES. The automatic downloading of new content from my computer's music library surprises me everytime. I recently installed a Maestro receptacle in my listening room and upgraded my power cord on the HAP-Z1ES to a 14 gauge ZenWave Audio. The changes were easily heard and added another level of refinement to the sound. I've also tried a number of isolation products with the HAP-Z1ES and have settled on Herbie IsoCups for now. I'd enjoy hearing from others who have used various isolation feet with their HAP-Z1ES as to what they have decided on.

steve in jersey

« Reply #372 on: 16 Sep 2014, 12:06 pm »
I have to agree. I certainly don't want to spend £400 on an ipad, just for this issue. I could buy a cheaper tablet, but then, you get what you pay for !
So unless my two year old laptop goes kaput, I don't think i'll be buying one. I find it annoying that many websites / technologies,  are now geared towards android devices / apps e.t.c. which isn't any good to the pc / laptop user !

As diversified a Company as Sony is, they probably could have offered one of their Vaio tablets (at a discount)
as an option.

Heh,he,he...yes the IPads are more $$ than other tablets & a lot of people seem to already have them.,
that was the only reason I made the comment. I have one & like it , & it has numerous apps to control
multiple electronic items... I really was'nt suggesting that you buy one to use specifically as a dedicated
HAP remote.

(Please note; the arrangement of text in this posting ( & several of my other previous  postings)
is not how it appeared when I typed it. I'm sure that I need to change a setting or two to fix these problem,
but I never learned how to "type"... My apologies  !)

bwillcox

« Reply #373 on: 16 Sep 2014, 12:56 pm »
I continue to be impressed by the ease of use and sound quality of the HAP-Z1ES. The automatic downloading of new content from my computer's music library surprises me everytime. I recently installed a Maestro receptacle in my listening room and upgraded my power cord on the HAP-Z1ES to a 14 gauge ZenWave Audio. The changes were easily heard and added another level of refinement to the sound. I've also tried a number of isolation products with the HAP-Z1ES and have settled on Herbie IsoCups for now. I'd enjoy hearing from others who have used various isolation feet with their HAP-Z1ES as to what they have decided on.

Like you, I'm impressed with the sound quality of the HAP-Z1ES (though I wish it had come with HDMI output and supported multichannel tracks). However, I can't say that I'm at all impressed with the transfer program. For those of us with large libraries (I have over 37,000 tracks and counting) that reside on a NAS box I have found it to be a real pain. The recent update to the firmware on the HAP and the transfer program stopped it from working with SMB shares (how my windows system accesses the tracks). It spends all the time (and apparently really transfers the bits) but nothing ever arrives on the HAP-Z1ES. So now, to do the transfer I have to first copy all of the tracks from the NAS box to a local disk on the Windows system.

Oh, and don't try to copy that many tracks to the HAP-Z1ES (37,000 in my case). When I attempted to do that when first getting the HAP-Z1ES it took well over a week and nothing would play once it finally finished. This may have been due to a problem with my first unit (since replaced), but I'm reluctant to retry the experiment and now I have only transferred a relatively small subset (about 2700) of the tracks.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #374 on: 16 Sep 2014, 02:07 pm »
I think it would be tough or impossible to find a computer / DAC combination for the same price that would outperform the Sony, it really is a great source.

The software isn't perfect but that can be improved on. I have about 18,000 tracks on it, the transfer was slow but it worked.

Stercom

« Reply #375 on: 17 Sep 2014, 09:57 am »
However, I can't say that I'm at all impressed with the transfer program. For those of us with large libraries (I have over 37,000 tracks and counting) that reside on a NAS box I have found it to be a real pain.
At $1 a track you have over $37,000 invested in your music library! Based on that kind of investment, if the HAP-Z1ES can't handle it I would just sell it! Stick with your NAS box, external DAC, computer, USB cables , etc. Only makes sense.

bwillcox

« Reply #376 on: 17 Sep 2014, 11:02 am »
At $1 a track you have over $37,000 invested in your music library! Based on that kind of investment, if the HAP-Z1ES can't handle it I would just sell it! Stick with your NAS box, external DAC, computer, USB cables , etc. Only makes sense.

Well, many of those 37,000 tracks are from my 31 year CD collection. So, although they represent a large investment, spread out over a that long of period it doesn't seem so bad.  :lol:

I do have a number of other ways to listen to all/any of the 37.000 tracks, and I often use them. I do still listen to the HAP-Z1ES as well. I've been transferring all of the hi-res downloads that I've been getting to it, so it tends to have mostly the new acquisitions. Besides, I'm something of a gadget freak; and it is, afterall, another gadget to play with.

Rob50

« Reply #377 on: 17 Sep 2014, 11:17 am »

Heh,he,he...yes the IPads are more $$ than other tablets & a lot of people seem to already have them.,
that was the only reason I made the comment. I have one & like it , & it has numerous apps to control
multiple electronic items... I really was'nt suggesting that you buy one to use specifically as a dedicated
HAP remote.

Yes, appreciate & understand what you were saying. I would like an ipad, and I'm sure there's a possibility I may buy one at some point. I could imagine the app being quite addictive to use....stopping you from actually listening to what's on the player ! lol

Rob50

« Reply #378 on: 17 Sep 2014, 11:47 am »
Like you, I'm impressed with the sound quality of the HAP-Z1ES (though I wish it had come with HDMI output and supported multichannel tracks).

Oh, and don't try to copy that many tracks to the HAP-Z1ES (37,000 in my case).

That's a trick that Sony missed out on with these players. I hope they haven't completely given up on multichannel ??
I thought 11.000 ( transferred twice ! ) was a nightmare !! Just imagine how many of this number we have rarely listened to ! ? It's nice to have all your music stored on one box though....and because of this, it encourages you to listen to those rarely listened to albums, that you have in your collection.
The real beauty of course, is being able to listen to your CD collection, in ( converted ) DSD, with these sonically impressive players !

bwillcox

« Reply #379 on: 17 Sep 2014, 12:30 pm »
That's a trick that Sony missed out on with these players. I hope they haven't completely given up on multichannel ??
I thought 11.000 ( transferred twice ! ) was a nightmare !! Just imagine how many of this number we have rarely listened to ! ? It's nice to have all your music stored on one box though....and because of this, it encourages you to listen to those rarely listened to albums, that you have in your collection.
The real beauty of course, is being able to listen to your CD collection, in ( converted ) DSD, with these sonically impressive players !

When I want to listen to any (or all, if I had enough time) of my 37,000 tracks, I use the DLNA server on my NAS box, through my Yamaha CX-A5000 prepro. The advantage to doing that is that I don't have to bother with the buggy Sony transfer program (or wait for it to do its thing). I do like the Sensme feature of the HAP box though. Nothing else that I have can do what it does. I can also use my Oppo BDP-103D and have to when I want to listen to a multichannel recording (it's the only way I have to listen to multichannel DSD tracks).