VMPS Inventory available

John Casler

Re: VMPS Inventory available
« Reply #80 on: 29 Apr 2013, 10:54 pm »
After travelling to El Sobrante Saturday, I have just updated the INVENTORY.

What we found:

SINGLE RM-50 Prototype Cabinet (unfinished)  Could be used as a VVLC (VERY, VERY LARGE CENTER)

Pair Black RM-30 cabinets

Several Pair of VMPS Dipole/Bipole Speakers (some finished and some cabinets)

3 pair RM v60 in Maccassar Ebony

and a few other items

Housteau

« Reply #81 on: 30 Apr 2013, 03:44 am »
John, are those three complete built up pairs of V60s?

John Casler

« Reply #82 on: 30 Apr 2013, 03:12 pm »
Hi Dave,

No they are cabinets.

We do however have (currently) sufficient Neopanels for a couple pair and also the 6.5" Megas.  The Tweeter is available so a pair can be built by one so inclined and experienced.

zxtremist

« Reply #83 on: 1 Jun 2013, 02:03 am »
Would anyone know where I could find a pair of 12" drivers for the vmps tower 2 se's, I would like them to match the set I got from Brian about a year ago, thanks

John Casler

« Reply #84 on: 20 Jun 2013, 08:25 pm »
ALL RM v60 cabinets are now Spoken for or SOLD

nife5730

« Reply #85 on: 25 Aug 2013, 11:47 pm »
Hello John. Would like two PRs for original subwoofer. Do you have them and for what price?
thanks
Oliver

bill13

I have 16 each Neo Panels to sell
« Reply #86 on: 14 Oct 2013, 09:46 pm »
Just saw this tread today.  Had parts for two RM40s (have since switched to other speakers)
 I have 16 each Neo Panels & panel terminals are the 'nuts' version (Brian's update).  All of these Neopanels have no or little use, are in excellent working condition & you can return defective panel(s) to me for refund if any of them don't function properly within a reasonable length of time, like 30 days.  Cosmetics are good, that they are the same as when I got them from VMPS years ago.   I would consider selling these neo panels for $115 each or $1550 (plus shipping) for all 16 assuming that I would still have them all still availanle.

bill13@optonline.net

acoustat lover

« Reply #87 on: 19 Oct 2013, 08:43 pm »

Does anybody  have any information on Supertower II a/r?Any suggestions on upgrading the woofers  crossovers? Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
Joe

hauspower28

« Reply #88 on: 23 Oct 2013, 05:49 am »
I would be interested and able to pay immediately for a pair of RM40's if available and I am willing to take almost any configuration!  Please email me anyone with any current model VMPS speakers as I would like to buy a pair while they are still available.  I am in Chicago but can arrange for my own shipping if necessary.

hauspower28

« Reply #89 on: 24 Oct 2013, 12:19 am »
I have Pat Malaga building me a pair of custom modified RM40's out of some cabinets and drivers he had from some of Brian's stock he acquired from Brian's wife.  Anyways, we are using (2) 10's with the one at the top being the ripped, double stacked woofer being used for midbass and the 10 at the bottom being sub base.  We are using only (2) Neo Panel's because Pat says they are very efficient and I explained the towers that I currently have and like the sound of being comprised of (2) 4" drivers for mids so Pat says the (2) Neo's on the new VMPS he is building me will give me the dual cone 4" driver sound more efficiently.

The only issue I take is with the tweeter he currently is installing in my custom built RM40's (closest thing I can compare them to) he says is an original Brian Cheney VMPS tweeter but it looks like a titanium dome tweeter or something to that effect?  He says they have a little yellow swirl on them and that he believes they were one of the (3) tweets that came in the RM40 originally but I only find pictures of the RM40 with the FST tweeter in the middle of 2 pairs of Neo panels?

What we are wondering is, are the FST a tweeter upgrade or was it an update to the RM40's done later in the production run?  Is the FST field upgradable if you had an original RM40 tweeter design...will the FST tweeter fit the hole left by pulling out one of these tweeters?  I have pictures available if necessary.  Please let me know if you have any of these answers or maybe someone on this forum can answer these questions?  Let me know if you have any FST tweeters available I can buy with a credit card and give you a UPS account number to send these to Pat Malaga for me so we can get them into my build.

Stimpy

« Reply #90 on: 25 Oct 2013, 01:37 pm »
An earlier VMPS tweeter, with a "yellow swirl" makes me think it's a spiral ribbon tweeter:

Two were used in earlier RM-40's:

They were originally an Infinity EMIT-R tweeter.  Also used in Genesis Speakers top of the line Arnie Nudell designs.  Good tweeters, nothing wrong with them.

Glad to hear that you're getting some 40's custom made.  Other than used, very few options otherwise, to obtain a VMPS speaker.  Though, I do wonder if 2 Neo panels will keep up with 2 mega-woofers?  Brian used 4 panels for a reason...

Good Luck!

The only issue I take is with the tweeter he currently is installing in my custom built RM40's (closest thing I can compare them to) he says is an original Brian Cheney VMPS tweeter but it looks like a titanium dome tweeter or something to that effect?  He says they have a little yellow swirl on them and that he believes they were one of the (3) tweets that came in the RM40 originally but I only find pictures of the RM40 with the FST tweeter in the middle of 2 pairs of Neo panels?

What we are wondering is, are the FST a tweeter upgrade or was it an update to the RM40's done later in the production run?  Is the FST field upgradable if you had an original RM40 tweeter design...will the FST tweeter fit the hole left by pulling out one of these tweeters?  I have pictures available if necessary.  Please let me know if you have any of these answers or maybe someone on this forum can answer these questions?  Let me know if you have any FST tweeters available I can buy with a credit card and give you a UPS account number to send these to Pat Malaga for me so we can get them into my build.
« Last Edit: 8 Jul 2015, 04:41 pm by Stimpy »

rbbert

« Reply #91 on: 25 Oct 2013, 03:11 pm »
I would be interested and able to pay immediately for a pair of RM40's if available and I am willing to take almost any configuration!  Please email me anyone with any current model VMPS speakers as I would like to buy a pair while they are still available.  I am in Chicago but can arrange for my own shipping if necessary.

Mine are for sale here in the AC Marketplace but I don't know about getting them to Chicago...

John Casler

« Reply #92 on: 25 Oct 2013, 06:20 pm »

Did you check with Bob Stark (a former owner/agent) ?

He had a pair, and he is in the Chicago area.  I can also vouch for Rbbert's pair, as they are almost like mine (except for the caps) and also have the new CDWGs.  The Maccassar Ebony is (IMO) an exceptionally nice finish.

John Casler

« Reply #93 on: 25 Oct 2013, 06:41 pm »
I have Pat Malaga building me a pair of custom modified RM40's out of some cabinets and drivers he had from some of Brian's stock he acquired from Brian's wife.  Anyways, we are using (2) 10's with the one at the top being the ripped, double stacked woofer being used for midbass and the 10 at the bottom being sub base.  We are using only (2) Neo Panel's because Pat says they are very efficient and I explained the towers that I currently have and like the sound of being comprised of (2) 4" drivers for mids so Pat says the (2) Neo's on the new VMPS he is building me will give me the dual cone 4" driver sound more efficiently.

What you are building is not an RM-40, but a resized RM-2.  An RM40 must have 4 neopanels, and an RM-2 has 2.

The tweeter you are talking about is the "Spiral Ribbon" and must be used in pairs for the RM40.  That said I have FST tweeters for the more recent version.

I would (and I don't mean to be a wet blanket) tend to think that "reconfiguring" and rebuilding one of Brian's designs will offer challenges that will not yield the VMPS sound, especially in the XO, that Brian created in his own way.  These speakers need to be "wired" a specific way, and the XO's are very tricky.

While I don't have anyone who can build a speaker 4 U, I "do" have someone who has complete knowledge of what Brian did and how to reproduce it in the XO.  My Suggestion would be to have them build the RM-40 "with" all the right drivers, and then contact me about having Kat Krossovers build you an OXO.  This would also give you the option of going with the D-OXO if you like.

I fear that reconfiguring could leave you with a less than VMPS sound.  PM me if you have questions.

ellisr63

« Reply #94 on: 9 Nov 2013, 01:57 am »
In case anyone is interested there is a ton of VMPS products being sold on craigslist from the same area where VMPS was located... http://sfbay.craigslist.org/search/?sort=rel&areaID=1&subAreaID=&query=vmps&catAbb=sss

bill13

« Reply #95 on: 10 Dec 2013, 12:28 am »
UPDATE to my previous October post here: 
For those of you looking for VMPS drivers:  I still have some available VMPS Neo Panels with panel terminals that are the 'nuts' version done by Brian Cheney.  These Neo panels have little or no use, are in excellent working condition & you can return defective panel(s) to me for refund if any of them don't function properly within a reasonable length of time, like 30 days.  Cosmetics are good.   A few neo panels are like new, & were never used; but most remaining neo-panels were lightly used in an RM40 & have a few inches of hookup wire previously soldered to the terminals.  Advantage of these used panels with wire leads is that you don't necessarily have to solder wires to the terminals -- excessive soldering heat is risky.

I am offering my remaining neo panels: One or two for $115 each, (plus shipping); or four or more for $100 each + shipping..... and the best deal:  get 8 or more for only $95 each plus shipping --- assuming of course that the desired number of VMPS neo panels are still available.

Also have VMPS early spiral tweeters, also a pair of modified FST ‘swinging’ true ribbon VMPS tweeters (cheap, because I very crudely cut the front plate for mounting).  As I recall, these  true-ribbon FST ‘swinging’ tweeters  were intended by designer Brian Cheney to be  located on top of the RM40 front baffle pointed down at the listener --- but, I modified them by cutting the front mounting plate to mount them in the middle of the RM40 front baffle where the spiral tweeters used to be.  The FST  ribbons work OK for the application – RM40 used around 7.5 kHz high-pass crossover for the FST ribbon tweeters from the neo panels, as I recall. Years ago, designer Brian Cheney told me that, in his opinion, his FST true-ribbons were better than  the similar size Raven R1 ribbons (I found this opinion a bit hard to accept).
Anyway, the modified FST ribbons are offered cheap at $130 + ship for the pair -- work OK, but cosmetics not good - only for DIY hobbyists who want to experiment. 

Contact me if you are interested in the spiral tweeters.

Bill

bill13@optonline.net         
in New Jersey

rocky989

« Reply #96 on: 30 Dec 2013, 06:03 pm »

Does anyone know where I can get a replacement electronic crossover for this tower?

Brax

« Reply #97 on: 2 Jan 2014, 10:16 pm »
Rocky,

You may want to try out a MiniDSP. You can get the 2x4 for under $150. It has 2 inputs and 4 outputs, to control the high and low ends. It can control both speakers and has a pretty nice software program to program and test your settings. It also works with REW so you can measure the output of the speakers and have the software make automatic adjustments. Let me know if you try this route.

Bill13,

That package arrived safely, the Neo Panels look great. Thanks.

bill13

« Reply #98 on: 3 Jan 2014, 09:11 pm »
UPDATE:

Sold about half of my VMPS drivers so far - thanks to VMPS AudioCircle members.

So, now I have 8 used, good condition, VMPS neo panels from my previous RM40 speaker with short length soldered wires (few inches) attached to terminals. 
Also still have four unused neo-panels (no wires ever attached/soldered).

All neo-panels are Brian Cheney’s update version. 

IMO, the used VMPS neo-panels are as good as the unused ones. Pricing is $115 each plus shipping for two (two panels are the minimum quantity to be sold at a time).  Can discount price for four or more neo-panels as stated in my previous post here (if they are still available).

Also have two each used VMPS spiral tweeters for $35 each plus ship - only will sell as a pair.

Still have a working pair (poor cosmetics) of modified old true-ribbon so-called 'swinging' tweeters for experimenters only, as stated in previous post.

Bill  (in NJ)

John Casler

RM40 10" woofers and NOS 15" PR
« Reply #99 on: 11 Jan 2014, 07:46 pm »
I just ordered what looks like the last of the WCF RM40 10" woofers.

According to the OEM, these are the last of the WCF cone stock, which actually Brian sourced and sent to the OEM.

I will have both the midbass and the low bass drivers.

They will be the same price as what Brian charged, $125 each plus shipping.

I also have a NOS "vitrified" 15" Passive Radiator with the full putty compliment for $35 plus shipping.