ModWright Transporter Tube Rolling Thread.....!

owenmd

Re: ModWright Transporter Tube Rolling Thread.....!
« Reply #1360 on: 19 Jan 2010, 04:26 pm »

After reading here it seems the tubes most people like are the EML and Black Treasure combo. Should I order and put these in my unit before I use it? It would be nice  to hear a big improvement over my Duet, and maximize my unit right from the start.

Also what does everyone think of the Grover Huffman balanced I/C  to start with?

Hi,

I haven't got my Black Treasures yet, so can't comment on those.... but seems they may be the optimum choice right now...?

Both Philistine and I use Grover SX RCA interconnects on our MWTP's and are very happy with them.  You may want to pm Philistine as he has background with the choice of single-ended verses balanced on the Transporter?

I also use the Grover digital balanced XLR cable from my transport to MWTP and am extremely happy with its performance.

Cheers

scp2

« Reply #1361 on: 19 Jan 2010, 10:59 pm »
Sounds like they got the Black Treasures in this week...I was sent a paypal invoice.

I am thinking I will break in the TP with stock tubes and then roll later.

Dimfer

« Reply #1362 on: 20 Jan 2010, 06:09 am »
I like the sound of Mullard ECC33 brown base better than the Tung Sol Round Plates (tried 2 pairs of these). I have a pair of Treasure Series on order, I will report the result once I tried them. I don't see too many people commenting about Mullard ECC33 here and I wonder why. I think they are more musical than the very popular TSRP. Had anybody in the forum compared ECC33 vs other candidates?

I use EML 5U4G rectifier with them btw.

Bigfish

« Reply #1363 on: 20 Jan 2010, 12:02 pm »
I just ordered my unit and am waiting for it...I am upgrading from a Bolder modded Duet.

Most of the longer term owners broke-in our units with the stock tubes.  I believe you will find some other tube combinations to sound better than the ones supplied with the unit, maybe you will be totally happy.  In any event the ModWright Transporter is a tube rollers dream!  Have fun and enjoy reducing the amount of green in your wallet buying new tubes!

Ken

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #1364 on: 20 Jan 2010, 12:32 pm »
I like the sound of Mullard ECC33 brown base better than the Tung Sol Round Plates (tried 2 pairs of these). I have a pair of Treasure Series on order, I will report the result once I tried them. I don't see too many people commenting about Mullard ECC33 here and I wonder why. I think they are more musical than the very popular TSRP. Had anybody in the forum compared ECC33 vs other candidates?

I use EML 5U4G rectifier with them btw.

The Mullard ECC33's aren't more musical to my ears than the Tung-Sol Round Plates.  The Mullards also aren't as clean and well balanced top to bottom.

I still haven't heard a better overall 6SN7 tube than the Round Plates.  It will be interesting to see if the Shuguang Treasure 'Black Bottle' CV181-Z (6SN7GT) can knock it off its perch.

George

Philistine

« Reply #1365 on: 20 Jan 2010, 01:26 pm »
Here's an on-line review of the Treasures:

http://www.tnt-audio.com/accessories/shuguang_treasures_cv181_e.html\
http://www.tnt-audio.com/accessories/shuguang_treasures_cv181_pt2_e.html

Ignore the rant on the nomenclature, it was written before we got the Dan green light.

I read this review after installing the Treasures and found it echoed my experience with them.  It's interesting that the writer prefers Brimar's, fortunately I never got around to trying these.

Bigfish

« Reply #1366 on: 20 Jan 2010, 01:33 pm »
I still haven't heard a better overall 6SN7 tube than the Round Plates.  It will be interesting to see if the Shuguang Treasure 'Black Bottle' CV181-Z (6SN7GT) can knock it off its perch.

George:

I have been unable to switch back and reevaluate the Round Plates as I am now running them in my preamp.  I am so happy with the Treasures in the Transporter and the Round Plates in the Preamp that I am done tube rolling.  End of journey!! :thumb:

Ken

owenmd

« Reply #1367 on: 20 Jan 2010, 03:21 pm »
Here's an on-line review of the Treasures:

http://www.tnt-audio.com/accessories/shuguang_treasures_cv181_pt2_e.html

Only the second link worked for me.... but I have doubts about the mans sanity... :scratch:

tomm

« Reply #1368 on: 20 Jan 2010, 03:54 pm »
Has anyone compared the 6H8C to the Black Treasure or the TSRP?  &  5V4G to the EML?

I am currently using the 5V4G & 6H8C in the Transporter.
I have tried metal base 5ar4, RCA 5ra4 big bottle, 5v4ga, 5r4gy on the rectifier side.  On the output side
I have tried TSRP with round mica and rectangular/oval mica, 6H8C metal base and 6H8C regular base which is cheaper.

iGrant

« Reply #1369 on: 22 Jan 2010, 04:06 am »

Hi Phil, actually Mark preffered the Treasures over the Brimars, his closing line:

I have spent many long hours burning-in and auditioning NOS 6SN7 (there's so many to choose from) and the Shuguang CV181Z beats them all with maybe 50 hours on them and they claim to need 300 hours. Anyone wanna buy a load of black Brimars?

For everyone that ordered the Treasures, they went out today, check your email for tracking. Thanks for your patience and good chatting with some of you :)

Cheers,
Ian

Dimfer

« Reply #1370 on: 23 Jan 2010, 05:33 am »
Received my Treasures today, replaced the pair of TSRP I have on MWTP with it, listened for 3 hours... still very early to make an impression, but it did not disappoint..

Bigfish

« Reply #1371 on: 27 Jan 2010, 09:31 pm »
I am wondering if anyone else has received their Black Treasures and if they have any comments?

Thanks,

Ken

tdangelo

« Reply #1372 on: 27 Jan 2010, 09:36 pm »
mine were delayed due to weather in Manitoba - figures :duh: :duh: still waiting...

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #1373 on: 27 Jan 2010, 09:38 pm »
I am wondering if anyone else has received their Black Treasures and if they have any comments?

Thanks,

Ken

Still waiting.

George

AB

« Reply #1374 on: 27 Jan 2010, 09:55 pm »
Mine are one day away. That is, if everything goes perfectly.

Probably Friday at the latest. Provided everything goes smoothly.

Marco Prozzo

« Reply #1375 on: 27 Jan 2010, 11:32 pm »
Since claims are that these tubes sound their best after 300 hours of play time (about 12 days of constant use) I have what may be a naive question about burn-in via the MWTP: for burn-in is it enough to JUST have the MWTP and output stage turned on and music streaming through it, or do you need the preamp turned on as well to receive an output signal in order to effectively burn-in the tubes? 

As a follow-up to that; to those of you who have got the tubes, how much difference was there between brand new and at X-hours of burn-in?  Were the differences profound or subtle?

Philistine

« Reply #1376 on: 28 Jan 2010, 12:23 am »

Hi Phil, actually Mark preffered the Treasures over the Brimars, his closing line:

I have spent many long hours burning-in and auditioning NOS 6SN7 (there's so many to choose from) and the Shuguang CV181Z beats them all with maybe 50 hours on them and they claim to need 300 hours. Anyone wanna buy a load of black Brimars?

For everyone that ordered the Treasures, they went out today, check your email for tracking. Thanks for your patience and good chatting with some of you :)

Cheers,
Ian

Sorry Ian, what I meant to say was the writer preferred Brimar's in terms of NOS 6SN7's but the Black Treasures as the best overall tubes.  I'm still loving my Black Treasures  :thumb:

Philistine

« Reply #1377 on: 28 Jan 2010, 12:24 am »
Since claims are that these tubes sound their best after 300 hours of play time (about 12 days of constant use) I have what may be a naive question about burn-in via the MWTP: for burn-in is it enough to JUST have the MWTP and output stage turned on and music streaming through it, or do you need the preamp turned on as well to receive an output signal in order to effectively burn-in the tubes? 

As a follow-up to that; to those of you who have got the tubes, how much difference was there between brand new and at X-hours of burn-in?  Were the differences profound or subtle?

Marco, I was burning in a KWA150 at the same time so can't really comment on how the Black Treasures changed over time.

iGrant

« Reply #1378 on: 28 Jan 2010, 04:42 pm »

Very good question !

From my actual limited experience burning these in, Rachel always needs to sell mine typically with less than 20 hours on them, I did get to 300 hours once on a pair, being run though as a driver tube in our A-348 amp, so in and out was active. Not sure if the Transporter is operating in class A or not, but just having the heater on will instigate burn in, if in Class A with no signal, the tube will burn in quicker, Class A being somewhat like having your foot down on the gas pedal while in neutral or park.

My mind just won't let me break in anything to do with music though without it doing it's job of creating notes, so I would break them in with both input and output active, you can shut off downstream of the next component in the chain. But, really it is fun to hear these things go thru their changes, it is never unlistenable and with the power tubes it for me is always better than what it replaced.

I do hope that some will post what they hear as it goes thru the burn in process. What I do know is they sound very good right out of the box, the mids will be a little weird and the top and bottom extensions haven't occurred at all, but still good, likely much better than stock tubes, then it falls apart for a few hours, then around 8 hours in gets good again (probaly about 80% of what the tube can do), still tight sounding, but starts opening up and goes weird again a couple of times for a few hours until around 150 hours when I have witnessed an extra octave appears on the bottom end and soon after the air (like a mesh plate power tube) is very noticeable, at this point you are probably getting about 98% of what the tube can do.

For those that are just getting theirs, you will note the Grant Fidelity logo on the other side of the tube, this started with our last order. We have gone this route to establish what is the premium Treasure tube, with Grade A or Grade B grading, even on our latest order we had a large percentage that did not even make Grade B, these go back to the factory. The factory selects ours first from a production run based on getting as close to our spec as possible, then prints our logo.

Cheers,
Ian

Marco Prozzo

« Reply #1379 on: 28 Jan 2010, 07:43 pm »
Thanks, Ian.  That is very helpful input. 

On burn-in; I'm not sure whether Dan's circuit is running in Class A or not.  I'll check with him on that and post the thread unless someone can chime in with an answer.  If it is not, wouldn't the fact that it's connected to a preamp be all that's needed, whether on or off (won't it see the impedance of the pre regardless)?  My goal would be to accelerate the process and leave it running at night, and prefer not to put the wear on my preamp tubes if I don't have to. 

Very good question !

From my actual limited experience burning these in, Rachel always needs to sell mine typically with less than 20 hours on them, I did get to 300 hours once on a pair, being run though as a driver tube in our A-348 amp, so in and out was active. Not sure if the Transporter is operating in class A or not, but just having the heater on will instigate burn in, if in Class A with no signal, the tube will burn in quicker, Class A being somewhat like having your foot down on the gas pedal while in neutral or park.

My mind just won't let me break in anything to do with music though without it doing it's job of creating notes, so I would break them in with both input and output active, you can shut off downstream of the next component in the chain. But, really it is fun to hear these things go thru their changes, it is never unlistenable and with the power tubes it for me is always better than what it replaced.

I do hope that some will post what they hear as it goes thru the burn in process. What I do know is they sound very good right out of the box, the mids will be a little weird and the top and bottom extensions haven't occurred at all, but still good, likely much better than stock tubes, then it falls apart for a few hours, then around 8 hours in gets good again (probaly about 80% of what the tube can do), still tight sounding, but starts opening up and goes weird again a couple of times for a few hours until around 150 hours when I have witnessed an extra octave appears on the bottom end and soon after the air (like a mesh plate power tube) is very noticeable, at this point you are probably getting about 98% of what the tube can do.

For those that are just getting theirs, you will note the Grant Fidelity logo on the other side of the tube, this started with our last order. We have gone this route to establish what is the premium Treasure tube, with Grade A or Grade B grading, even on our latest order we had a large percentage that did not even make Grade B, these go back to the factory. The factory selects ours first from a production run based on getting as close to our spec as possible, then prints our logo.

Cheers,
Ian