Proceed Amp 5 vs B&K amps with Sapphire XLs & XLC

Avfile 1

Proceed Amp 5 vs B&K amps with Sapphire XLs & XLC
« on: 9 Mar 2010, 12:30 am »
I have a mostly ACI system consisting of 4 Sapphire XLs and a Sapphire XLC.
The sub is an SVS PB12-Plus-2. The XLC center is being driven by a single B&K M200 monoblock. I'm considering moving to a Proceed Amp 5 if the move would be worthwhile. Has anyone used the Proceed Amp 5 with these or other ACI speakers? Your thoughts? Obviously I wouldn't make the change for more power given that the B&Ks put out 200 watts per channel while the Proceed Amp 5 puts out 125 watts per channel. What I'm wanting to do is tap in to more of the essence of the music and deeper potential available through this fine set of XLs and the XLC. Don't get me wrong-the B&K's in my system sound very, very nice indeed. Will the Proceed Amp 5 sound even nicer, i. e. a bit closer to audio nirvana? :D

Avfile1

Re: Proceed Amp 5 vs B&K amps with Sapphire XLs & XLC
« Reply #1 on: 9 Mar 2010, 02:41 pm »
I forgot to mention-the main amp driving the 4 Sapphire XLs is a B&K Reference 200.5. It's 200 watts x 5 channels. I'm only using 4 of these channels.

Avfile1

« Reply #2 on: 10 Mar 2010, 09:49 pm »
Thoughts on other amps you like with these speakers would be welcomed too.

Joe_K

« Reply #3 on: 12 Mar 2010, 04:32 pm »
I'm using Musical Concepts modded Hafler 200 series amps and they work very very well. A 280 on the XLs and a 200 on the XLC. You can buy kits or have them do the work. It's a new driver board, larger caps, hexfred diodes, toroid xformer. Any or all of it can me done. They also do upgrades on B and K.
Korato amps drive them well too!
Joe