LIO AVC/Tubestage combo module - coming August!

BobRex

Re: LIO AVC/Tubestage combo module - coming August!
« Reply #40 on: 12 Aug 2015, 01:47 am »
Are you kidding me?  You can do it both ways with the SAME module?  Why wasn't this ever mentioned?   :bawl:

Ummmm, it was. Take a look at the earlier string, Vinnie mentions it in his description.

Vinnie R.

« Reply #41 on: 12 Aug 2015, 02:49 am »
Ummmm, it was. Take a look at the earlier string, Vinnie mentions it in his description.

Yeah, jtwrace!  I mentioned it in the first post of this thread  :nono:    :green:

TomS

« Reply #42 on: 12 Aug 2015, 03:00 am »
Yeah, jtwrace!  I mentioned it in the first post of this thread  :nono:    :green:
That feature made my decision easy!

brh

« Reply #43 on: 13 Aug 2015, 03:50 pm »
That module looks beautiful, Vinnie! Wish I could spring the cost right now, but... some day!

Mitch751

« Reply #44 on: 14 Aug 2015, 07:21 am »
Just received it today

Replaced these

After installation

With Telefuken EC188

Mitch751

« Reply #45 on: 14 Aug 2015, 07:23 am »
Can't imagine the improvement in sound quality

Bass is much tighter, Mid bass is more mellow and slightly improve in the Treble

Really worth to replace ....

Vinnie R.

« Reply #46 on: 14 Aug 2015, 03:36 pm »

Bass is much tighter, Mid bass is more mellow and slightly improve in the Treble

Hi Mitch751,

Thanks for posting! 

Cheers!

Vinnie

yardbird4

« Reply #47 on: 23 Aug 2015, 11:25 pm »
I received my LIO with AVC Tube Stage installed on 8/7/15.  The sound is gorgeous.  I listen primarily to digital so until today all of my listening (except a brief foray to confirm the phono stage was working) has been via DAC, which is amazing, until today. Well let me say the phono stage is equally amazing, if not more so.  I have been listening to vinyl all today.  To quote Herb Reichert of Stereophile "I have bathing in it's fragrant beauty" all day.  I have the AVC without tube stage to audition to determine which I like best.  Right now its hard to believe I will be able to improve on the AVC/Tube Stage but I have always been wedded to pure passives so compare I must.  There is not a lot of incentive to even inquire at this point.

newzooreview

« Reply #48 on: 25 Aug 2015, 12:37 am »
I have the AVC without tube stage to audition to determine which I like best.

But you can switch the jumpers on your AVC+tube board to run it without the tubes. You don't need to audition an AVC board without tubes. You have it either way with the AVC+tube board.

yardbird4

« Reply #49 on: 25 Aug 2015, 04:56 am »
But you can switch the jumpers on your AVC+tube board to run it without the tubes. You don't need to audition an AVC board without tubes. You have it either way with the AVC+tube board.

That is very true but I am the kind of listener that is not going to be switching back and forth.  I will stay with the one I like best ... and if that happens to be AVC only no sense in paying extra for a switching feature I will not use.  If I Like AVC/Tube stage best then the extra expense becomes a non- issue as it is not prohibitive.

Vinnie R.

« Reply #50 on: 25 Aug 2015, 05:06 pm »
Right now its hard to believe I will be able to improve on the AVC/Tube Stage but I have always been wedded to pure passives so compare I must.  There is not a lot of incentive to even inquire at this point.

Hi yardbird4,

Thanks for your post!  Sounds like your LIO configured with AVC/Tubestage has you glue to your listening chair.  :thumb:
It's fun to make comparisons, but I know what you mean.  When everything is sounding so good like that, I just want to listen
to album after album and not even think about the equipment for a while.  :singing:

Hi newzooreview,

You are correct!  AVC/Tubestage module with jumpers set to "AVC" position is identical to just having the AVC (tube output stage
is bypassed).  AVC/Tubestage module with jumpers set to "TUBE" is the AVC + Tubestage, a beautiful marriage!  :inlove:

Have fun!

Vinnie

timkolacny

« Reply #51 on: 14 Oct 2015, 01:58 am »
If listening to the LIO is like having a seat in the studio mix room, then the LIO with AVC/Tubestage is being in the room with the musicians. Tighter bass, wider/taller/deeper imaging, and more overall presence - there is simply more "there" there without adding anything unnatural or colored.

I honestly didn't think the AVC would make this big of a difference. I am genuinely (and pleasantly) surprised to hear further detail revealed while maintaining the musicality I have come to love from my LIO. 

Well done Vinnie, well done.   :thumb:

Tim

Plink

« Reply #52 on: 14 Oct 2015, 03:31 pm »

Improvement compared to what? 

How does the AVC/Tube compare to AVC only?

Plink

« Reply #53 on: 14 Oct 2015, 03:33 pm »
I received my LIO with AVC Tube Stage installed on 8/7/15.  The sound is gorgeous.  I listen primarily to digital so until today all of my listening (except a brief foray to confirm the phono stage was working) has been via DAC, which is amazing, until today. Well let me say the phono stage is equally amazing, if not more so.  I have been listening to vinyl all today.  To quote Herb Reichert of Stereophile "I have bathing in it's fragrant beauty" all day.  I have the AVC without tube stage to audition to determine which I like best.  Right now its hard to believe I will be able to improve on the AVC/Tube Stage but I have always been wedded to pure passives so compare I must.  There is not a lot of incentive to even inquire at this point.

What LIO configuration?  With amp or without (preamp only)?

Vinnie R.

« Reply #54 on: 20 Oct 2015, 05:16 pm »
If listening to the LIO is like having a seat in the studio mix room, then the LIO with AVC/Tubestage is being in the room with the musicians. Tighter bass, wider/taller/deeper imaging, and more overall presence - there is simply more "there" there without adding anything unnatural or colored.

I honestly didn't think the AVC would make this big of a difference. I am genuinely (and pleasantly) surprised to hear further detail revealed while maintaining the musicality I have come to love from my LIO. 

Well done Vinnie, well done.   :thumb:

Tim

Hi Tim,

Thank you!  And thank you for posting feedback on your LIO AVC/Tubestage module.  8)

I've said it before and I'll say it again - the LIO with AVC/Tubestage makes for an amazingly good sounding, off-the-grid, tube preamplifier with one of the best volume controls (if not THE best) available today!  It's hard to match this kind sonic performance for the price - and when you follow that with LIO MOSFET AMP (or an external VR120 power amp), it is hard not to become totally addicted to it!  :wink:

I'm glad you are hooked!

Improvement compared to what?

Hi Plink,

Compared to his LIO RVC and LIO Tubstage modules that his new LIO AVC/TUBESTAGE module replaced.

How does the AVC/Tube compare to AVC only?

I posted about this, here:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=135549.msg1440877#msg1440877

Regarding yardbird4's comments, his LIO has the LIO MOSFET AMP module installed as well (integrated amp
w/ dac and phonostage).   So fully integrated and isolated ultracapacitor powered... like we've been using at the
shows this year.  :singing:

Vinnie

yardbird4

« Reply #55 on: 21 Oct 2015, 04:05 am »
Sorry I was tardy on this one Pink ... Vinnie's answer is correct..... by the way the sound gets better after the Tubes have completely burned in.

doctorcilantro

« Reply #56 on: 28 Oct 2015, 11:07 am »
All,

The BALANCED INPUTS and OUTPUTS modules should be out sometime in August. 

Pricing and details coming soon (next month).

- Vinnie

Hi Vinnie. Is this available now? I'd like to have phono stage, but also a balanced input to feed the LIO from my DAC .

Vinnie R.

« Reply #57 on: 29 Oct 2015, 02:59 am »
Hi Vinnie. Is this available now? I'd like to have phono stage, but also a balanced input to feed the LIO from my DAC .

Hi doctorcilantro,

Not yet - but should be close! 

For those who are waiting for this before ordering, you can order with the standard LIO INPUTS and OUTPUTS modules and
we can work out a swap when the BALANCED versions are ready (you would only pay any difference in pricing, which will not
be significant).

Thank you,

Vinnie

doctorcilantro

« Reply #58 on: 29 Oct 2015, 05:47 am »
Thanks V!

I'm closer to pulling the trigger. It's a big move for me as I have a lot invested in these separates.

mirekti

« Reply #59 on: 26 Dec 2016, 06:38 pm »
As this module has been out for some time now, what are your preffered tubes and why?