Best Sound at RMAF

jab

• Esoteric Audio-Video
Best Sound at RMAF
« on: 4 Oct 2015, 06:21 pm »
The future of Von Schweikert Audio is bright!  The union of VSA and Endeavor Audio Engineering is a brilliant move.  Damon and Leif have a clear vision of the road ahead and audiophiles are the beneficiaries.  Capitalizing on the recent TAS review of the fantastic VR55's brought new listeners into the VSA room which will grow the product offerings downstream.  Once the amplifier issues were resolved in the Endeavor/ModWright room on Saturday, the E5's really opened up and wowed those in attendance.  If you've not heard the E3 and E5's, put them on your short list!  VSA is on the cutting edge now and in the years ahead.  Viva Von Schweikert Audio!
« Last Edit: 4 Oct 2015, 10:55 pm by jab »

gammajo

Re: Best Sound at RMAF
« Reply #1 on: 5 Oct 2015, 01:38 am »
How did the 55s sound at this show?

jab

• Esoteric Audio-Video
« Reply #2 on: 5 Oct 2015, 03:36 am »
Stunning!  Now I'm thinking I need a set of Ultra's and a Constellation amp!!!! Lotsa activity in this room.  Lotsa heads shaking...

gammajo

« Reply #3 on: 5 Oct 2015, 02:05 pm »
Excellent! Glad that they are again showing beautifully.
Yup - I have heard them at VAS with the Constellation equipment and it is indeed a magical combination. The Ultra is wonderful - fortunately in my system I have only one short IC, so that Ultra was relatively affordable in that location for me. Ultra Speaker cable is on my wish list for 2016, but the Masterpiece Signatures are also terrific. In terms of amps the Constellation gear is right up there but I am getting great results with my Reference 20 New Force and Greg Weaver's review using the Pass labs is also descirbed as magical - which I can believe after hearing the Pass in another system. Enjoy the show, knowing that you already have the best speakers out there!

jab

• Esoteric Audio-Video
« Reply #4 on: 5 Oct 2015, 03:55 pm »
interesting you mentioned NuForce.. Someone mentioned at the show that NuForce was acquired by Optoma (video projectors).   Regarding lengths of IC's, funny i'm always tentative with shorter lengths because in my heart I know my physical placement will change at some point (ie-size of the amp will necessitate new location).  Anyone interested in buying 1/2 mtr pair of AP ICs? 
« Last Edit: 5 Oct 2015, 08:05 pm by jab »

gammajo

« Reply #5 on: 5 Oct 2015, 07:37 pm »
JAB,
Nuforce split off their high end to Nuprime at the time the Ref 20 came out - so it is sort a bridge product, an evolution from the well rated Ref18 under Nuforce to the new NewPrime designs by the same brilliant designer and good guy, Jason.

Yes. IC length required trust but I do know that VAS will work with me on a a very fair trade in if needed. Enjoy tghe show - wish I was there!

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #6 on: 5 Oct 2015, 08:38 pm »
Stunning!  Now I'm thinking I need a set of Ultra's and a Constellation amp!!!! Lotsa activity in this room.  Lotsa heads shaking...

..shaking or nodding?  Big difference where I come from..   :thumb:

htradtk

« Reply #7 on: 5 Oct 2015, 09:52 pm »
Is there a chance that VSA could bring there 55's with their Constellation Audio setup to the 2016 Capital Audio Fest? This show is really growing in popularity and with the Endevor merger could really open up the east coast market for VSA. VSA, if interested, check out: www.capitalaudiofest.com

Henry

jab

• Esoteric Audio-Video
« Reply #8 on: 5 Oct 2015, 10:31 pm »
..shaking or nodding?  Big difference where I come from..   :thumb:

ES, shaking heads to the beat of the music, nodding in disbelief of the dynamic range and relative small footprint!  The VR55's are giant killers!

leif8660

• Industry Participant
    • Von Schweikert Audio
« Reply #9 on: 6 Oct 2015, 11:04 pm »
Is there a chance that VSA could bring there 55's with their Constellation Audio setup to the 2016 Capital Audio Fest? This show is really growing in popularity and with the Endevor merger could really open up the east coast market for VSA. VSA, if interested, check out: www.capitalaudiofest.com

Henry
Damon and I have been talking about doing some of these other shows and CAF was one of them.  It would most likely be the VR-55's in one room and Endeavor E-3MkII's in another.

JackD201

« Reply #10 on: 7 Oct 2015, 12:16 am »
Hi Leif,

What was changed from the E-3 Mk1 to the Mk-2?  :)

JackD

gammajo

« Reply #11 on: 7 Oct 2015, 12:29 am »
Ayy shows in the Atlanta Area worthwhile? Looking for something that I could drive to in a few hours.

aevans

« Reply #12 on: 7 Oct 2015, 03:46 am »
I gave the 55's the Best floor standers of the show.
http://noaudiophile.com/RMAF_2015_Day_3/

Wonderful exciting sound, neutral business in the front, and party in the back with the rear tweeter making the room excitement.

Best reasonably sized floor standers I heard at the show by far.

JackD201

« Reply #13 on: 7 Oct 2015, 02:42 pm »
I visited your site. Boy, you really take no prisoners!  :lol:

gammajo

« Reply #14 on: 7 Oct 2015, 02:51 pm »
eavans
Refreshing to see reports that are more frank. Glad you loved the 55's Thanks for posting.

leif8660

• Industry Participant
    • Von Schweikert Audio
« Reply #15 on: 8 Oct 2015, 02:40 am »

Wonderful exciting sound, neutral business in the front, and party in the back with the rear tweeter making the room excitement.

Thank you for the great coverage and photos

leif8660

• Industry Participant
    • Von Schweikert Audio
« Reply #16 on: 8 Oct 2015, 03:02 am »
Hi Leif,

What was changed from the E-3 Mk1 to the Mk-2?  :)

JackD
Hello Jack,

Sorry it took a few to get back to you.  Today was first day back to work after RMAF :banghead:

The E-3 was designed to work close to the front wall say around 24" or less.  I figured most people spending $7K on a speaker didn't have the luxury of having the speaker way out into the room.  Guess I was wrong.  I kept seeing pictures from my dealers and distributors with the speakers way out into the room.  Well they weren't designed to work that way.  The mid and treble would now be a little hotter than the bass.  So, we redesigned the crossovers along with some other little goodies which is now the MkII.  The MkII is much easier to place and is able to come further out into the room.  The new crossover also allows the MkII to be place close to the wall without the bass falling apart.  It's very musical yet revealing when it should be.  Lots of percussive slam for a little speaker.

The changes were extensive and include a new internal cabinet design for more bass power, along with a new crossover that would increase the bass and reduce the midrange and tweeter’s power band.  The new midrange and tweeter circuit blended the mid and treble frequencies in a more linear manner, creating a smoother sound and more depth to the image and sound field.   We used better crossover parts and added an expensive woofer Zobel circuit to the design to better implement the blend of the custom-built drive units.  We also upgraded the internal wiring from a common brand to the Delphi.  The Mk2 costs more, but is  a fantastic bargain for the price! IMHO

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #17 on: 8 Oct 2015, 05:29 pm »

..how do the VR55s compare with your Selahs?

aevans

« Reply #18 on: 8 Oct 2015, 05:41 pm »
..how do the VR55s compare with your Selahs?

The VR55s seem to have a better build quality, but I prefer the Selah's. They are a rare treat.

branislav

« Reply #19 on: 8 Oct 2015, 06:01 pm »
Is it possible to determine build quality by looking at a speaker? Or how about taking it apart? i bet that would say a lot how a speaker is built.