Gustard X20?

niner

Re: Gustard X20?
« Reply #440 on: 22 Feb 2017, 09:56 pm »

Glad it worked.  I'm still burning in my Gustard x20 Pro as well.  I did notice that the sound was a bit sharp out of the box, but it seams to be settling in well.  I'm still waiting on delivery of my LPS-1 to power the microrendu, so at the moment I'm just feeding it via a cheap USB cable from my iMac.

The source will make a big difference.  I've been really impressed with the sound so far using Roon via HQ Player, up-sampling my 16 and 24 bit flac files as well as Tidal content to DSD256.  I'm still playing with the filters to find the best balance on my system, but so far I've found the sound to be detailed, but very engaging and musical.  Previously I was using an Aries Mini as streamer and DAC so this is a significant upgrade in sound quality.
This is probable a conversation for a different thread.
I've read a lot of threads concerning HQ Player and upssmpling. It seems the way to go but I also have read people having difficulty with settings and popping when changing sampling rates and other issues. Also I believe I'm not technologically inclined for that undertaking. I would love to ditch my Aurender and get something that will handle HQ and Roon with simplicity. Haven't seen it yet.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #441 on: 22 Feb 2017, 11:33 pm »
This is directed to either (or both) niner or mies.

Hello.

I've got the slightly older version X20u and I really enjoy it in my system. This unit has two filter settings - slow or sharp. In my system and in my listening room I generally find I prefer the slow setting, but I still experiment with sharp to try to determine what it is that sways my decision.

Does the Pro unit also have two filter settings? If so, which one have you selected?
Have you tried toggling back and forth?

Are you using the Gustard as preamp, or do you have a preamp in your system?

My personal experience with my system has been that music sounds pretty good when the Gustard is used as preamp/DAC. However, when I add in my tube preamp (Don Sachs Model 2 6SN7 tube preamp), music sounds noticeably better, sibilance disappears, separation of instruments increases, and sound stage expands. Certainly, some of that improvement is a reflection of the quality of my preamp and the tubes used, but I think using the Gustard as preamp held something back from the source. YMMV.

Enjoy!

Michael

niner

« Reply #442 on: 23 Feb 2017, 12:13 am »

Hello.

I've got the slightly older version X20u and I really enjoy it in my system. This unit has two filter settings - slow or sharp. In my system and in my listening room I generally find I prefer the slow setting, but I still experiment with sharp to try to determine what it is that sways my decision.

Does the Pro unit also have two filter settings? If so, which one have you selected?

My personal experience with my system has been that music sounds pretty good when the Gustard is used as preamp/DAC. However, when I add in my tube preamp (Don Sachs Model 2 6SN7 tube preamp), music sounds noticeably better, sibilance disappears, separation of instruments increases, and sound stage expands. Certainly, some of that improvement is a reflection of the quality of my preamp and the tubes used, but I think using the Gustard as preamp held something back from the source. YMMV.

Enjoy!

Michael
Hi Michael,
I haven't had much time to experiment. I'm still burning it in, and I'm still having problems with it communications with my Mac Mini. Thanks to Mies I got it playing for a little while but it went back to static. Now playing using my Aurender with no issues.

Filters are as follows:
PCM - Hybrid, Apodizing, Brickwall, M slow, M fast, L slow, L fast
DSD - 47, 50, 60 , 70
Maybe someone else can chime in and explain what these mean, i don't know.
I have not had time to listen to each one very long. However switching back and forth I really didn't hear any difference.

I am using my McIntosh C2300 with the Gustard and have not tried it straight into the amp. Maybe this weekend.

mies

« Reply #443 on: 23 Feb 2017, 06:39 pm »

Hello.

Enjoy!

Michael

Michael-

As niner mentioned, the x20 Pro has many more filters to choose from.  I'm still waiting on delivery of a LPS-1 to power my microrendu, so I haven't put much time into playing with the filters on the Pro nor in HQPlayer yet.  I figured it's best to get all of the system components in place first, then see what the combination of filters sound like.  Between the DAC and HQPlayer there are so many filter combinations that it's almost overwhelming.  I plan on just comparing a couple options per listening secession, picking my favorite each time, then comparing the winners ones against each other.  For me it's more about enjoying the music so I don't like to spend too much time in an analyzing mode...

Right now I'm using a Rogue Sphinx integrated amp which includes a 12AU7 tubed line stage.  I don't have a separate preamp to compare to, but I've been really happy with the sound combination of the x20 pro with the Sphinx.  I'm already hearing (and feeling) improvements across the board as compared to the Aries Mini I had been using, and this is with the microrendu being powered by a cheap wall wart!

mies

« Reply #444 on: 23 Feb 2017, 06:44 pm »
This is probable a conversation for a different thread.
I've read a lot of threads concerning HQ Player and upsmpling. It seems the way to go but I also have read people having difficulty with settings and popping when changing sampling rates and other issues. Also I believe I'm not technologically inclined for that undertaking. I would love to ditch my Aurender and get something that will handle HQ and Roon with simplicity. Haven't seen it yet.

I'm still figuring it all out, but your correct, the roon + hqplayer combination is not quite elegant and simple yet, and does take some technological patience. The sound quality is worth it in my experience, but for daily use I'll probably just use my mircorendu in roonready mode.  For focused listening seccions HQplayer up sampling to DSD is hard to beat.

mresseguie

« Reply #445 on: 23 Feb 2017, 11:29 pm »
Thank you for your responses.

I may someday get to hear SQ differences between the two models (or not). I think it's really great how DAC technology has been making leaps and bounds advancements recently.

niner

« Reply #446 on: 24 Feb 2017, 02:40 am »
I thought I would give an update on my Gustard X-20 Pro. I have about 36 hours on it and it has blossomed.
I bought this on a whim after reading this thread and all the reviews and mods people were doing. I had just sold a dac costing more than $6K and getting ready to pull the trigger on another expensive dac. Thinking if I didn't like it I wouldn't take too much of a bath selling it. I buy and sell way too much gear. How an I still married?
I am really shocked at the quality of sound I am getting out of this unit. Very detailed but not harsh at all. In fact it kind of resembles my old Audio Note dac that I loved, for 1/7 the price.
I wonder how much more this dac can deliver if I get the upgraded mods like Ric has been talking about. I don't want to loose the lushness of the sound I am currently getting. But I may have to go for it, just to see, I mean hear.  :D

pinon

« Reply #447 on: 1 Mar 2017, 10:36 pm »
Thanks to all for input on this DAC, especially Quadman, Simon, Ric with your many ideas and mod tips. I got my x20 pro about three weeks ago. I had been quite happy with my NOS Tranquility DAC for years, finally at its best with the latest output stage, a jitterbug/a lucky try at a DIY USB cable/Regen/Curious Regen link. I use Audrivana 2+ player software in a late 2012 i7 2.3Ghz quad core Mac Mini with 8 GB RAM. Having only 44.1/16 files, and with all the excitement around computer sampling to DSD, I finally got more interested in a new DAC. The inexpensive and moddable Gustard became a clear choice, great potential with what sounded like little risk.

Following this and other threads, I have been modding little by little: lifted the transformers onto 2 layers of cardboard donuts; twisted all the AC wire bundles; Cardas Conditioner for contact enhancer on all AC connectors (a notable refinement); damped the fuse with teflon tape, conditioned it, and put a WA chip on. No audiophile fuse yet as I was blowing the stock .5 amp slow blow fuses at times when turning on the switch after putting it back in the system after a mod. So I changed to a standard 1 amp slow blow for now. Then I noticed the ground connector to the AC power filter board was loose so tightened it. Not sure this was it, but all seems OK with 1 amp fuses.

I experimented with BlueTack and pieces of Soundcoat for damping caps, finding a good sounding combination of the two. Then I found a piece of EAR SD40AL Ric Schultz had sent to damp the Oppo 83 he modded for me years ago, and tried it alone, damping to sound. This is the best yet, many caps having some damping, as well as the diodes before the big caps on the output/DAC chip board (another notable improvement).

Then I cut up a large WA cap chip using small and smaller pieces on most output/DAC section caps, and cut a WA semiconductor chip, 1/2 put on each of the Sabre chips.

Then I explored Stillpoints ERS sheet pieces on the transformer side of that aluminum partition...a piece in a plastic bag (ERS has metal in it so I am careful not to touch things with current) slid behind the USB board and then curving and extending between the Coax connector and USB board (calming USB board noise). And for now, I have some smallish sheets laid over the back of the two board sections. Better micro detail and space are my markers for this. Apparently it absorbs as well as shields, and sounds like it can take some good with the bad if too much is used, dulling the sound.

Herbie’s isocups with gray, gemstone balls for feet are my favorite so far, and a PI Audio power cable made for the Tranquility DAC with a ground I added is great with the Gustard.

Liking the Gustard adaptive clock sound quite a bit better than the “normal” clock setting (normal appears to be standard async for the Sabre chips), I decided to try the better coax cable between the two boards, rather than jumping to putting a new clock between the DAC chips. I made a cable using 22 gauge Neotech Braided UPOCC Copper in Cotton. This is litz wire, so takes time to burn in, but finally becomes nicely transparent. It has a movable thickish plastic support liner, the litz woven into a hollow rectangle around it. I burned a small hole in one end of the liner and attached a piece of VHAudio 24 gauge super pure silver/cotton wire through the hole, then pulled the silver wire through, now inside the woven litz. I taped the ends off with teflon tape, and found places to solder near the coax towers on the boards with a continuity checker. After a few hours of solder settling, having adjusted the system to the softer, mellower stock coax cable, and still running 256 DSD, the new coax was “too” big and clear, “stiff sounding,”  too rigid and intense...

This was interesting. I had treated the stock coax connectors and towers with Cardas Conditioner, and that had opened the sound nicely, making for a very pleasant and rich complexity. I felt no real need to change it, but wanted to see what happened, several of you having really liked a new coax.

After about 80 hours of playing music into the DAC (not always through amps), the new coax started to open...more complex, warmer, and more characterful. Along with Audirvana setting refinements, it became pretty listenable even on 256 DSD, but still not as good as it had been stock. Then, at 90-95 hours, it is starting to rather quickly richen and open, becoming notably better than the treated stock cable. Now the excess tonal density and rigidity is replaced by a bigness that is not out of place...very complex with better definition and speed, revealing more layers of fine detail, spaciousness, ambient information….more textures and subtleties of timbre with amazing body and bass.

I don’t really get how much we can hear digital cables, but it always happens! In this case, the sound change was much like making new ICs out of the same materials. Compared to smaller wires of the same types, the bigger wires have a bigger, cleaner, more powerful sound. My room is pretty live, and system fast, revealing and inclined to tonal density. So I am always seeking that edge of ideal density, and it must be associated with serious complexity of information, feathering the tones and edges. ICs using this same material took 100-200 hours to begin to feel relatively complete and not too dense. Apparently (or coincidentally) it is similar for this short piece of digital cable.

As the coax burnt in, playing the Audirvana filter adjustments, the 256 DSD sounding sort of false, I explored PCM upsampled in 2x increments...to 88.2, 176.4, and 356.8. I was surprised how much I liked it. My DAC only has 160 or so hours with music playing all the way through, computer through through the live Preamp, so I expect more positive refinements, but 356 PCM was very deep, textured, rich, and clarified.

Now that the coax is opening though, I have to listen to 256 DSD again, and wow. Hard to read clearly with burnin in general, but this new coax cable is really good right now, and I suspect more to come!

quadman said:

“Hey, everyone just a quick update.  Ric called me last week about a new mod he tried that he was convinced would blow my mind, This weekend I installed the mod and I must say he was right it made a VERY nice and significant change to the (old x20u) dac, (he performed it in a pro version)  More body and weight for everything, vocalists and instruments, which also makes the stage appear larger and clearer with more information.  I was very impressed.  He is talking about offering this mod and possibly the AC mod together at a much lower price point then his full level 1 mod is priced now.  This could be a huge step up in SQ for little $.”

If it is cool, please tell us more quadman or Ric.

Any input on the track I am on would be appreciated. Also, can you all recommend the best diodes to replace those on the output board. I seem to be finally moving out of concerns over warranty... Maybe I will get rid of the power switch and AC filter board next. I just got a Furutech gold plated IEC inlet in the mail.
« Last Edit: 2 Mar 2017, 10:27 pm by pinon »

quadman

« Reply #448 on: 3 Mar 2017, 11:02 pm »
Just an FYI.  I built a windows PC for a friend to use with a T+A Dac 8 DSD, Roon and Tidal to up sample all music to DSD512.  After 4 months the motherboard failed (are you kidding me) the video output failed.  He then decided to sell everything and give up streaming and stick with vinyl and RTR tape.

I installed a new MB in this PC and I am going to list it in the classified section for sale.  This PC is based on i7-4790K processor, 8 Gb ram, water cooled.  Win 10 pro.  It works perfectly (again).  It can handle DSD512 with HQP using all 2s filters and any lower up sampling (DSD256, 128, 64 or any PCM) it can use all of HQP filters.

I know most of you have PC's but some folks are sitting on the fence waiting to get in or upgrade.  I just want to throw this out there as a possibility for a big boy machine that can handle HQP at DSD512 (2s filters).  Check out the classifieds for more info.

This machine is loaded with HQP, Roon (7+ months left) and Audio fidelizer pro, it can be sold with or without these.

quadman

« Reply #449 on: 4 Mar 2017, 05:10 pm »
@pinon you have been busy, I am a bit confused by your coax story.  So the 24ga silver wire is now inside the copper wire, is the copper now acting as shield? and you have soldered that to ground?  I have found pure silver wire to be the best for the signal transporter.  Also that cable is very directional, One that I built I installed it the wrong way and the dac sounded off compared to my reference, I unsoldered the cable and reversed and it was quite a positive noticeable change.  I don't remember thinking the custom coax was worse than the stock coax (then I didn't treat the stock coax) so I'll bet you had the direction reversed.  Unfortunately wire does not come with arrows.

You finally hit it right with the damping, get all the blu tac and similar out and stick to the ear.  Check out whats best forum x20 thread for ideas on diodes or head fi and the LKS- DH003 thread.

I do't know why Ric is still sitting on this new mod, it makes me look bad talking about it.  If he is not going to market it then he should give the secret away so other DIY's can do.  It is not my story to tell, so we wait for him.

The old x20 came stock with a 1A fuse (5x20mm).  The AC mod will add a nice step up.  The IEC if I remember only 1 furtech would fit the screw hole pattern on the gustard and I cannot remember which one, so make sure the holes on yours matches the dac.  I played with some 3m RFI/EMI absorbing material, some behind the old, now removed USB board, and some over the 2 tranny's.

Good luck

pinon

« Reply #450 on: 4 Mar 2017, 08:11 pm »
Hey Quadman. If you look at the Neotech Braided Copper in cotton at partconnextion or soniccraft you will see why I used it. As it is made, with the rectangular plastic inner liner, the woven copper litz makes a hollow rectangle, the wires woven into a hollow tube like a shield cable. After replacing the liner with the VHAudio silver in cotton 24 gauge, it becomes even more like a hollow shield, like just like one as far as I can tell. And yes, the shield goes to ground on both ends. But it is great sounding wire being very pure copper litz, so I figured I would use it. And in my experience, using this combination for ICs (in that case the silver as signal, and the neotech a separate wire run for ground, not used as a shield) directionality is real, but more subtle than most wires. I hear direction less with VHAudio silver than any others I have tried, and judging from Neotech's wire purity and method, I suspect it may be less directional than most also.

I did experiment with the stock coax, and mine was put in right, turned the other way dulling the sound. And yes, treating it made a pretty big difference to me. I had used Deoxit gold for years, finding it very good if I wiped/polished it right away. If not, it was dulling. The Cardas is similarly transparent sounding, but more tolerant of thickness. I do wipe it off pretty quickly too out of habit though. If you still are using the stock AC cable bunches, I think you will be impressed if you treat those connectors.

What defines worse on the new coax here is sort of relative I guess. The new coax was bigger, clearer, more open, and more defined right off, but being green it lacked fine detail...too clear, defined, and rigid. Now it is very clear and defined, but faster feeling, being loaded with fine detail and space. Also it carries the amazing speed, clarity and definition well with smoothness, subtle musical warmth, excellent extension, great textures, etc...after burnin, what were subtle oddities of timbre transformed to become more real than ever. Nothing to complain about after burn in, the cable showing all the right subtle information in a big way, so I have been lazy about trying it the other way.

I had used Furutech IEC inlets with fuse holders before, and they look just like the Gustard from the outside. The only difference I can see is the writing on the Furutech fuse holder being different than that on the Gustard. Even the fuse holder itself looks to be the same construction and design. I'll know more after I pull the AC filter, but I am wondering now if they are the same...that the Furutechs are made by the same folks in China??? Or a good copy. The Furutechs come with Rhodium or Gold plating. I suppose it is possible that instead of being just a cheap IEC, this could be a pretty good one where the silver color is not the usual whatever, but may be Rhodium plating?

Thanks for the tip on the diodes. I will check those threads again.
« Last Edit: 4 Mar 2017, 09:27 pm by pinon »

Ric Schultz

« Reply #451 on: 4 Mar 2017, 11:23 pm »
I am not "sitting" on this new mod.  It is part of all the mods I do on the Gustard and probably on the Oppo Sonica.  John, I was half joking to you about doing this as a "separate" product.  You were the one that ran with it.....encouraging me to do it.  I have no intention of doing this mod alone or sharing info about it (for now).  End of story.  But thank you for telling/teasing people about this new exciting mod that I am doing that improves the Gustard and probably the Sonica.

I like the stock IEC inlet better than Furutech (fuseholder one and more expensive non fuseholder one tried).....I bypass the fuse holder part and solder directly to the pins closest to the plastic as possible.

As John (Quadman) said, a better clock right on the DAC chips is better than any cable.

The zero feedback jfet buffer stage in place of the entire output stage is a really nice step up in naturalness and inner detail.....you simply want to play air guitar and air drums right from the first note.  Will be listening to the transformer output stage tomorrow that will allow more voltage (fet buffer puts out only one volt RMS per phase making it not so great for passive preamp use).  Transformer puts out 2 volts.  The stock output on the Gustard is 3 volts. 

pinon

« Reply #452 on: 5 Mar 2017, 11:13 pm »
Ric said: "I like the stock IEC inlet better than Furutech (fuseholder one and more expensive non fuseholder one tried)."

Hey Ric, I remembered a similar comment you made somewhere in many pages of Gustard talk on whatsbest, headfi, or threads here. This is quite interesting, and part of what made me wonder if the stock Gustard IEC is a Rhodium plated Furutech-like IEC. Whatever it is, based on your impressions, I thought I would take out the AC filter, still using the stock IEC, then perhaps sometime later compare the gold Furutech after it has been on the Frybaby for a while to begin burnin. I have an amp that would benefit from the Furutech if I don't use it in the Gustard.

Ric said: "As John (Quadman) said, a better clock right on the DAC chips is better than any cable."

This is interesting too. As I posted above, liking the Gustard adaptive clock mode so much better than "normal" (which I assume is what we get putting the clock between the DAC chips), and knowing the wires I used to make a coax would be super revealing, I decided to try a cable. And the cable is really good...very revealing, articulate, complex, textured, warm, and musical...all the very subtle information clearly presented. If the clock sounds better than this, it will be very good indeed.

That said, I have been working up a cart as I read through these threads. In it is the crystek clock, a 0.1 bypass cap, and some Vishay Diodes - I will try the coax the other direction too.

On the diodes, I did a search on every page, I think about 150 on Gustard and LKS mods. The only specific diode info I could find for the Gustard were posts by Markko, and he liked a Schottky 4A he tried, but for neatness, was trying some surface mounts, one of which after burnin he liked, but was thinking there might be better. Seems he found the Schottky and SMT he had tried were different, and both better than stock. In the LKS- DH003 thread, a couple higher rated diodes were mentioned, the Vishay Schottky ultra fast 100V 8A and 10A.

I think from Markko, I thought to try these:

SMD/SMT   
Vr - Reverse Voltage:   600 V   
If - Forward Current:   3 A   
Type:   Fast Recovery Rectifiers   
Configuration:   Single   
Vf - Forward Voltage:   1.2 V   
Max Surge Current:   50 A   
Ir - Reverse Current:   3 uA   
Recovery Time:   25 ns

Anyone willing to advise me? :)
« Last Edit: 7 Mar 2017, 01:59 pm by pinon »

earwig

« Reply #453 on: 19 Mar 2017, 09:52 am »
wow! it seems really funny that cotton wire is getting popular since that mention of that final labs cotton interconnect I talked about years ago :lol:

rickmusicman

« Reply #454 on: 19 Jul 2017, 09:06 pm »
Mresseguie,

Michael, I was wondering how you like the Gustard X20. I am looking into buying a DAC and saw you had one. I was thinking of a Schiit Gungnir as well. BTW, I am still waiting to hear from Don Sachs as to when the Pre-Amp will be done, I ordered it 9 weeks ago and getting anxious. I noticed you ordered his amp. Rick

mresseguie

« Reply #455 on: 19 Jul 2017, 10:19 pm »
Hello, Rick.

The Gustard X20u is the best DAC I've ever owned. That's probably not saying a whole lot because I owned just two DACs before the X20u. It really needed 200+ hours of burn in to come into its sweet sounds. It can be used as a preamp or (as in my case) hooked up to a sweet sounding 6SN7 tube preamp.  :thumb:

I bought the Gustard to do 2 things for me. The first was to get me into this decade as far as DAC technology is concerned; the second was to satisfy my needs/desires for a couple years. Why this short period, you ask? DAC technology is racing ahead, making advances in giant leaps and bounds. I wanted to stay under $900 (which I did) and anticipated upgrading about 2 years later.

Well, what happened? Technology kept jumping at breakneck speed. New excitingly powerful DACs have been hitting markets and I find myself wanting to upgrade to an even better DAC experience. [You don't suppose this is 'upgrade-itis', do you?]  :nono: I just took delivery of a new Denafrips Venus DAC to audition and to take to the audiophile G2G at gregfisk's home this Saturday. I'll find out if this is going to be my new DAC.

Back to the Gustard. An audiophile I know in Taiwan bought the Gustard X20Pro DAC, burned it in for 200+ hours. Then, we compared his and mine back and forth for a couple hours. The X20Pro is definitely better, but not so much that I would consider buying it to replace my X20u. I recommend buying the X20Pro over the X20u unless your budget doesn't allow this. I have no idea how any Schiit DACs compare. I hope to audition the Yiggy someday.

As for Don....he's managed to get himself pretty busy, I think. Orders have flowed in, so I'm not surprised at a 9 week wait. When it arrives, burn it in for a good 200 hours before critical listening. [You still love it before 200 hours!] If you get TOO antsy, hop in your car, drive north into beautiful British Columbia and visit Don. Then, you can swing over to Kelowna to visit Captainhemo (Jay) to listen to his awesome sounding OB speakers. Then, swing south to visit Windchaser. Then, ....well, there are lots of really cool folks in all directions.  :thumb:

Luckily for Don, I don't need my amp until October, so there's no rush.

Oh, yeah. Even though I'm seriously considering a new DAC, I'll probably hang onto the X20u for my office system.

How's that for an answer? :D

rickmusicman

« Reply #456 on: 19 Jul 2017, 10:37 pm »
Michael,

Thanks so much for your reply. I am going to wait to buy a DAC until early next year, so will keep researching. I will keep the Gustard in mind for sure. I will have to check back with you later if you don't mind and see how you like your new Denfrips DAC. I will let you know how I am liking don's Pre-amp as well.
Rick

restrav

« Reply #457 on: 19 Jul 2017, 10:40 pm »
Hello, Rick.

The Gustard X20u is the best DAC I've ever owned. That's probably not saying a whole lot because I owned just two DACs before the X20u. It really needed 200+ hours of burn in to come into its sweet sounds. It can be used as a preamp or (as in my case) hooked up to a sweet sounding 6SN7 tube preamp.  :thumb:

I bought the Gustard to do 2 things for me. The first was to get me into this decade as far as DAC technology is concerned; the second was to satisfy my needs/desires for a couple years. Why this short period, you ask? DAC technology is racing ahead, making advances in giant leaps and bounds. I wanted to stay under $900 (which I did) and anticipated upgrading about 2 years later.

Well, what happened? Technology kept jumping at breakneck speed. New excitingly powerful DACs have been hitting markets and I find myself wanting to upgrade to an even better DAC experience. [You don't suppose this is 'upgrade-itis', do you?]  :nono: I just took delivery of a new Denafrips Venus DAC to audition and to take to the audiophile G2G at gregfisk's home this Saturday. I'll find out if this is going to be my new DAC.

Back to the Gustard. An audiophile I know in Taiwan bought the Gustard X20Pro DAC, burned it in for 200+ hours. Then, we compared his and mine back and forth for a couple hours. The X20Pro is definitely better, but not so much that I would consider buying it to replace my X20u. I recommend buying the X20Pro over the X20u unless your budget doesn't allow this. I have no idea how any Schiit DACs compare. I hope to audition the Yiggy someday.

As for Don....he's managed to get himself pretty busy, I think. Orders have flowed in, so I'm not surprised at a 9 week wait. When it arrives, burn it in for a good 200 hours before critical listening. [You still love it before 200 hours!] If you get TOO antsy, hop in your car, drive north into beautiful British Columbia and visit Don. Then, you can swing over to Kelowna to visit Captainhemo (Jay) to listen to his awesome sounding OB speakers. Then, swing south to visit Windchaser. Then, ....well, there are lots of really cool folks in all directions.  :thumb:

Luckily for Don, I don't need my amp until October, so there's no rush.

Oh, yeah. Even though I'm seriously considering a new DAC, I'll probably hang onto the X20u for my office system.

How's that for an answer? :D

when you comapre the Venus DAC with X20u please detail the system used. specially the speakers please.

mresseguie

Re: Gustard X20? (OT)
« Reply #458 on: 20 Jul 2017, 02:15 am »
Hello, Dadbeh.

My X20u and my D Sachs Model 2 preamp are boxed up in my home in Taiwan. The Denafrips Venus DAC is in Washington State. My new speakers are Daedalus Audio Apollos. They're in Washington, but I will ship them to Taiwan in October or early November. My amplifier is the D Sachs KT88 Kootenay 120. It is being built now, but I will lug it to Taiwan in a big and very well padded suitcase or pelican case.

The Venus and my Apollos will be in gregfisk's listening room in Bothell this Saturday morning for the audio G2G of the year (or so I think of it). Aldcoll is supplying his Modwright KWA 150 amp, someone is providing a beautiful preamp, and at least two other DACs will be present to battle it out with the Venus.

Come November, all my gear will be in my living room in Taiwan. Stop by for a visit from November through mid-April. We have a guest bedroom with a queen sized bed available.

I'm sure several attendees will happily present their impressions of all these components this weekend. Stay tuned.
Michael

restrav

« Reply #459 on: 20 Jul 2017, 02:51 am »
Hello, Dadbeh.

My X20u and my D Sachs Model 2 preamp are boxed up in my home in Taiwan. The Denafrips Venus DAC is in Washington State. My new speakers are Daedalus Audio Apollos. They're in Washington, but I will ship them to Taiwan in October or early November. My amplifier is the D Sachs KT88 Kootenay 120. It is being built now, but I will lug it to Taiwan in a big and very well padded suitcase or pelican case.

The Venus and my Apollos will be in gregfisk's listening room in Bothell this Saturday morning for the audio G2G of the year (or so I think of it). Aldcoll is supplying his Modwright KWA 150 amp, someone is providing a beautiful preamp, and at least two other DACs will be present to battle it out with the Venus.

Come November, all my gear will be in my living room in Taiwan. Stop by for a visit from November through mid-April. We have a guest bedroom with a queen sized bed available.

I'm sure several attendees will happily present their impressions of all these components this weekend. Stay tuned.
Michael

first I want to say every single piece of equipment that you named is outstanding and exquisite in its own right. very nice.

and i cant wait to to hear your thoughts on the DACs. thanks