XLS Encore and Servo

rockdrummer

XLS Encore and Servo
« on: 19 Dec 2012, 02:40 pm »
Hi everyone!  Hope your winter Holiday Season is going nicely!  I am well on my way into my second GR build.  I have pieces cut for XLS Encore and a sealed servo.  These are for my younger brother.  When talking about his budget and music taste combined with his probable listening space, the bookshelf on stands were his choice. 

Here is a cell phone picture of the stand.  I have added more and there will be bondo and sanding to seal cracks and smooth over areas, but this is the start.  Not recognizable yet, but I'm sure after I can take more pictures of late last night's progress, many will recognize it.  Just a taste.

My parents are absolutely in love with the AV 1's they took possesion of last month.  Kudos, again to you you, Danny.

Ben

rockdrummer

Re: XLS Encore and Servo
« Reply #1 on: 19 Dec 2012, 11:21 pm »
Here is a crude attempt at a custom speaker stand.  Yes there will be a top.  It will have long trim screws going through the top wings, which will also be screwed into the main structure.  I am planning on using bondo all over the place to cover seams and cracks. 

I went ahead with this without asking advice, and after doing this, I think I will have wanted to make the tippy tops a bit bigger.  We shall see. 

The other will be a version of Barad dur, the tower the eye resides in.  So, advice and critiques are very much welcomed and encouraged.  Thanks for looking.

There it is.  Stand part one.  Now do I suggest to my brother that this is the left or the right?  hmmm

Oh, and it is solid mdf.  Heavy as heck.

Thanks again.

ben

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #2 on: 19 Dec 2012, 11:52 pm »
Very cool looking!
Can hardly wait to see more pics.

The only thing I would of suggested would of been to buy a 1/2 sheet of 1/4"
MDF and covered the ends of the towers spines with a piece, that way you wouldnt
have to deal with mending all the seems where the 3 laminated end. You could still
do it and save a lot of work, you only ave to deal with 2 small edges then.

I made a couple of subs a few years back and used bondo. The problem is the bondo
is harder tan the mdf so if you have to do a bunch of sanding you have to be careful
not to oversand or the bondo will be raised from the mdf.
In the same Isle as bondo youll find glazing putty.....usually in tubes or small tins.
this stuff you dont have to mix and sands much easier than bondo, almost like wood filler.
I've used this with good success filling seams.

Your brother is a lucky guy, keep up the great work.

Captainhemo

« Reply #3 on: 20 Dec 2012, 03:01 am »
In the same Isle as bondo youll find glazing putty.....usually in tubes or small tins.
this stuff you dont have to mix and sands much easier than bondo, almost like wood filler.

Yup,  I've had good success with both glazing putty and wood filler as well.
Looking good !

-jay

rockdrummer

« Reply #4 on: 28 Jul 2013, 01:43 pm »
Okay, wow it has been a while. Over the winter I couldn't work much in the garage. Then in the spring we were selling our house and we all know kids and cleaning would probably be time consuming. Moved into the inlaws and needless to say, quite an ordeal. Anyway, finally got something done.

Got woofer holes cut. Need to roundover the backside yet.

I learned doing my first project on my first cutout when i got done the router skipped when the cutout came loose and marked the edge of the circle. So for anyone starting their first build be sure to secure both the cutout and the baffle.

Hope to get something else done soon.
Thanks for reading.
Ben

bdp24

« Reply #5 on: 28 Jul 2013, 04:51 pm »
A rockdrummer living with the girlfriend's/wife's parents? Been there, done that :icon_lol:! Also a drummer, bdp24 refers to my preferred vintage wrap and kick drum diameter. Drummer joke... Q: What do you call an unemployed drummer? A: A drummer.

bdp24

« Reply #6 on: 28 Jul 2013, 05:10 pm »
Very cool looking!
Can hardly wait to see more pics.

The only thing I would of suggested would of been to buy a 1/2 sheet of 1/4"
MDF and covered the ends of the towers spines with a piece, that way you wouldnt
have to deal with mending all the seems where the 3 laminated end. You could still
do it and save a lot of work, you only ave to deal with 2 small edges then.

I made a couple of subs a few years back and used bondo. The problem is the bondo
is harder tan the mdf so if you have to do a bunch of sanding you have to be careful
not to oversand or the bondo will be raised from the mdf.

Your brother is a lucky guy, keep up the great work.

The pics of your incredible Super-V build and follow-up tips lead me to the glazing putty of which you speak. It's made by Bondo, and I found it at Auto Zone, about nine bucks for the large tube. It's the red color stuff seen in the pics.

rockdrummer

« Reply #7 on: 29 Jul 2013, 01:14 am »
Bdp24, I always wanted to try a 24 but never did. What do the letters stand for?

Just finished directing the pit orchestra in local production of Children of Eden. Percussionist was set up right in front of me and i loved his vintage ludwig sound!

Ben

bdp24

« Reply #8 on: 29 Jul 2013, 03:19 pm »
Black Diamond Pearl. I like the 50's-60's Ludwig sound (3-ply shells, Maple/Poplar/Mahogany, 35 degree bearing edges, reinforcing rings, chrome/nickel over brass hoops) a lot myself.

rockdrummer

« Reply #9 on: 12 Aug 2013, 11:00 pm »
Can't believe this. Measured wrong and the whole tweeter is off more than 1/8th of an inch to the right. Now what?  I have no table saw to cut a new front baffle. I have been so careful too. So frustrating. I cant let it go because it will not have a grill and they arent for me. Ugg

Ben

Captainhemo

« Reply #10 on: 12 Aug 2013, 11:18 pm »
Well,  if you  don't have access to the saw...  could always go to  HD and buy a 2' x 2'  piece of 3/4" MDF and have them cut it to the correct size,  just be sure  to stress  the importance  of  the correct dimension.  If you  don't trust them.. you  could  always have them cut it close  then   take  your measurements off  one side  and either the top or bottom for the cut outs.  Then  when  you  glue it on, make sure  those same edges are  aligned properly to the cabinet  and trim the excess off  with a flsuh trim bit

-jay

srb

« Reply #11 on: 12 Aug 2013, 11:45 pm »
Can't believe this. Measured wrong and the whole tweeter is off more than 1/8th of an inch to the right. Now what?

Have you cut the other one yet?  Some speakers have mirrored offset tweeters to reduce baffle edge diffraction effects.  An 1/8" isn't enough to have much of any effect, but you could cut the other one 1/8" off in the other direction!

Being only that tiny amount off-center, it will probably just look wrong, but you could point to it's mirror image mate and swear it was by careful precision acoustic design!   ;)

Steve

Captainhemo

« Reply #12 on: 12 Aug 2013, 11:54 pm »
Have you cut the other one yet?  Some speakers have mirrored offset tweeters to reduce baffle edge diffraction effects.  An 1/8" isn't enough to have much of any effect, but you could cut the other one 1/8" off in the other direction!

Being only that tiny amount off-center, it will probably just look wrong, but you could point to it's mirror image mate and swear it was by careful precision acoustic design!   ;)

Steve

There you  go !  Easier  than getting another baffle cut  :thumb:

-jay

rockdrummer

« Reply #13 on: 13 Aug 2013, 12:01 am »
Great idea Steve, but sadly, i did cut the other one already. I send a picture to by brother to see what he thinks. I may just look to use a saw as i have the other stand to do next. I just wanted to get the speakers and sub to him, pronto!
Ben

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #14 on: 13 Aug 2013, 12:42 am »
If it doesn't affect the sound quality than with grills on it will never be noticed.

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #15 on: 13 Aug 2013, 04:16 am »
I would just take that one to HD and have them copy it. I'm sure they can do that without messing it up.

Greg

lacro

« Reply #16 on: 13 Aug 2013, 12:18 pm »
 Can't you make the cuts with your router and a straight edge?  :scratch: If all else fails, PM me and I will make you one and send it.

Larry

mpauly

« Reply #17 on: 13 Aug 2013, 06:57 pm »
Can't you make the cuts with your router and a straight edge?  :scratch: If all else fails, PM me and I will make you one and send it.

Larry

Or rough cut it with any type of saw (circular saw, jig saw, etc) and use a pattern cutting bit in your router using the other baffle as a template.

rockdrummer

« Reply #18 on: 13 Aug 2013, 07:19 pm »
Wow, Larry, very nice of you.  I will see what happens, I may have a neighbor that can borrow me a boxed up table saw.  So that may be enough to get another piece cut.  I should see if I can set something up using the router and a straight edge because that is probably how I need to make the amp cut-out for the sealed sub per Danny's plans on the GR website.

I sent my brother the picture and he says he doesn't care but I think it stands out and will eventually be an eyesore to anyone who knows about it   :lol:

Ben

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #19 on: 13 Aug 2013, 08:45 pm »
I sent my brother the picture and he says he doesn't care but I think it stands out and will eventually be an eyesore to anyone who knows about it   :lol:
Ben

Ben,

You hit the nail on the head. Knowing about it is the thing. I can see all the flaws in something I built while someone else wouldn't notice unless I pointed it out to them.

Mike