DAC-9 subwoofer out question

highdb

DAC-9 subwoofer out question
« on: 22 Aug 2016, 04:50 pm »
I just ordered a DAC-9 and am awaiting it's arrival from Audio Advisor.  I will be using the RCA outs to my tube monoblock amps.  I want to use the XLR outs to my subwoofer (no xlr inputs).  Can I just use XLR to RCA adapters to use standard RCA/RCA subwoofer cable?  My cable length to the sub is 35ft.
Also, any problem leaving it "powered on" all the time?  I'll be using the analog in for home theatre bypass.
I'm really looking forward to receiving it. 

I.Greyhound Fan

Re: DAC-9 subwoofer out question
« Reply #1 on: 22 Aug 2016, 05:22 pm »
Yes, you can use XLR to RCA adapters for your sub.  I use this set up as well.  My BAT preamp only has XLR and my subs are single ended.  Don't waste money on high end XLR-RCA adapters.  I bought some cheap ones and the expensive cardas adapters and there is no difference in sound.

John Casler

« Reply #2 on: 23 Aug 2016, 04:40 pm »
I just ordered a DAC-9 and am awaiting it's arrival from Audio Advisor.  I will be using the RCA outs to my tube monoblock amps.  I want to use the XLR outs to my subwoofer (no xlr inputs).  Can I just use XLR to RCA adapters to use standard RCA/RCA subwoofer cable?  My cable length to the sub is 35ft.
Also, any problem leaving it "powered on" all the time?  I'll be using the analog in for home theatre bypass.
I'm really looking forward to receiving it.

First, welcome to the NuPRIME Circle (I see you are new here)

As mentioned above, no problem using the XLR outs.  Do keep in mind that XLR outs have an output of 8v max and RCA 4v max.

And leaving the unit powered up is no problem, and some might think advantageous.

highdb

« Reply #3 on: 24 Aug 2016, 03:50 pm »
Thanks for the responses.  The DAC-9 checks all the boxes I need.  Mostly listening to CD and streaming Spotify through appletv (may try the airport express I have to see if there's any difference in sound).  Will try some hi rez through the macbook via usb later down the road.  Curious is there's any benefit to using a camera connection kit and usb to the dac vs  just the optical out from either the airport express or appletv which is what I have been doing.  Cheers to everyone.  -Jeff

rustydoglim

« Reply #4 on: 26 Aug 2016, 08:52 pm »
Thanks for the responses.  The DAC-9 checks all the boxes I need.  Mostly listening to CD and streaming Spotify through appletv (may try the airport express I have to see if there's any difference in sound).  Will try some hi rez through the macbook via usb later down the road.  Curious is there's any benefit to using a camera connection kit and usb to the dac vs  just the optical out from either the airport express or appletv which is what I have been doing.  Cheers to everyone.  -Jeff

The camera connection kit is only for iOS device to the DAC-9.  For Mac computer you just use standard USB cable.