In between waiting for my LIO

magnuska

In between waiting for my LIO
« on: 7 Aug 2016, 11:31 am »
Hello!

I am new to this forum. I have ordered a LIO.
Configured as :

Inputs
AVC/Tubestage
DAC with microrendu powersupply
mosfet AMP

Have lurking around a great deal before I took the opportunity to order this integrated that I look forward to hear.
I enyoy the help from Vinnie that was prior to my final decision to order one. I live in Sweden so a bit costier with custom fee and Taxes

Anyway I have not read so much about the VR120. Are there anybody who have upgraded from the small module to this one. Can one apart from
more power also expect better SOUNDQUALITY with this one in favour of the small module?

Regards Magnus

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: In between waiting for my LIO
« Reply #1 on: 9 Aug 2016, 12:16 am »
Congrats on your order! 

What speakers are you driving with it? 

If you can swing the DHT by any chance....DO IT! 

yardbird4

« Reply #2 on: 9 Aug 2016, 01:22 am »
Hello!

Configured as :

Inputs
AVC/Tubestage
mosfet AMP

Have lurking around a great deal before I took the opportunity to order this integrated that I look forward to hear.
I enyoy the help from Vinnie that was prior to my final decision to order one. I live in Sweden so a bit costier with custom fee and Taxes

Anyway I have not read so much about the VR120. Are there anybody who have upgraded from the small module to this one. Can one apart from
more power also expect better SOUNDQUALITY with this one in favour of the small module?

Regards Magnus

I am driving 89db efficient Spendor F l9's tin a 14 x 19 family room that opens into a breakfast nook and large kitchen that measures another 25 ft and I have plenty of power with the 25  watt mosfet amp.
I agree with jwtrace that the DHT Pre is the ticket if budget allows.  I upgraded from the AVC/Tubesstage ...which is awesome in its own right .... but the DHT Pre is in another league.

magnuska

« Reply #3 on: 10 Aug 2016, 06:24 pm »
Hello again!

I am using this speaker. A standmount with around 86 db/w sensitivity.

http://klangedang.se/

Vinnie R.

« Reply #4 on: 11 Aug 2016, 03:04 pm »
Hello!

Configured as :

Inputs
AVC/Tubestage
mosfet AMP

Regards Magnus

Hi Magnus,

Welcome to the VR forum!  I'll be shipping your LIO next week.

We'll wait for others to hopefully chime in, but the VR120 was voiced similarly to the LIO MOSFET AMP.  Besides
more power, the VR120 has more bass weight and greater sense of scale to the sound.  It is a beast, but like
the LIO MOSFET AMP, it has a lot of finesse and sounds great at lower volume levels as well.

I think it is good to first see how the LIO MOSFET AMP drives your speakers and to get familiar with this.  You can later
trade it in to the VR120 if you find that you could use more power.

But *if* you don't need more power, the DHT PRE would bring about a more substantial improvement in sound quality, and
after trading-in your AVC/Tubestage it would cost less than the VR120. 

Best regards,

Vinnie

magnuska

« Reply #5 on: 11 Aug 2016, 06:32 pm »
Thanks Vinne for the kind welcome.

I guess it makes perfect sense to wait and see what the LIO with module will do.

It seems though that the DHT upgrade is the most musical and most meaningful for the total experience so to speak.
If source first also applies to audiophiles in the US  :wink: I am sure it is the best way to go, but I also look forward to the
microRendu powersupply that in this context will even more improve the source.

My current setup is a PC acting as a J-river server for my microrendu powered by a Teddy pardo 6 v powersupply.
Amps are Teddy pardo PR-1 preamp with Teddy Pardo MB-100 monoblocs.
I also have a Rega planar 3 that I seldom use nowadays.
So with the coming LIO I hope to replace a lot of boxes and still hope for better sound :)

regards Magnus

magnuska

« Reply #6 on: 21 Aug 2016, 07:56 pm »
I was thinking that I should try out ROON today. I have a microRendu which is already ready for this application.

I signed up for a trial period of 14 days. But it will definately stay -  a  little expensive but soundquality raised quite a bit compared to
J-river using the same computer as a DLNA server. I think this computer audio never seize to amaze or surprise you.  That a setup and software can
make such a difference. Makes me wonder if not it was better just using a CD player in the old days where one did not have to tinker at all.

What do you guys use for source with your LIO.

If you are using computer audio and especially with microRendu - how is your setup look like?

All the best from Sweden

Magnus

Vinnie R.

« Reply #7 on: 22 Aug 2016, 02:17 am »
I was thinking that I should try out ROON today. I have a microRendu which is already ready for this application.

I signed up for a trial period of 14 days. But it will definately stay -  a  little expensive but soundquality raised quite a bit compared to
J-river using the same computer as a DLNA server. I think this computer audio never seize to amaze or surprise you.  That a setup and software can
make such a difference. Makes me wonder if not it was better just using a CD player in the old days where one did not have to tinker at all.

If you are using computer audio and especially with microRendu - how is your setup look like?

All the best from Sweden

Magnus

Hi Magnus,

I have been really enjoying Roon as well!

Here is how I am doing it:

Macbook Air (wireless) / Roon >> Airport Express (CAT 6A out) >> microRendu  >> LIO

Vinnie

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #8 on: 22 Aug 2016, 12:11 pm »

All the best from Sweden

Magnus

Windows Desktop/Roon (not in music room)->microRendu_>LIO

I was previously using JRiver on a dedicated and purpose built Windows desktop that was in the room.

I was able to improve the sound and remove the computer from the listening room!!   :thumb:

George

magnuska

« Reply #9 on: 22 Aug 2016, 02:03 pm »
Windows Desktop/Roon (not in music room)->microRendu_>LIO

I was previously using JRiver on a dedicated and purpose built Windows desktop that was in the room.

I was able to improve the sound and remove the computer from the listening room!!   :thumb:

George

Thanks for your answer George.
Regarding the DAC - I assume the LIO dac was better than your Vega was it?

I got a fanless PC only for my music that sits in the hifi rack so no problems with either looks or noise. On the other hand it contains only 480GB SSD so soon time for a HD upgrade.
According to audiostream review of the Sonic transporter its better than an Intel Nuc as a server for Roon/microRendu. Whats your thougths on this one? Would it be tricky to transfer my files
to this ST if I choose the version with inbuilt 1 TB SSD. The micro rendu was supposed to be more or less immune to what was fed to it but obviously its not.

And then I am a bit tempted by DSD. HQ player with Roon perhaps. That takes another approach with a power ful computer for conversion on the fly from flac to DSD. ... Many things to evaluate before one
descide.

//Magnus

magnuska

« Reply #10 on: 22 Aug 2016, 02:08 pm »
Hi Magnus,

I have been really enjoying Roon as well!

Here is how I am doing it:

Macbook Air (wireless) / Roon >> Airport Express (CAT 6A out) >> microRendu  >> LIO

Vinnie

Thanks for the answer Vinnie.

May I ask if you also play DSD files that are converted on the fly with example HQ-player or is it only  native DSD?
I´m tempted to try DSD with the LIO dac.

Regards Magnus

magnuska

« Reply #11 on: 23 Aug 2016, 06:44 pm »
The LIO arrived today.

It is really an impressive build. Pictures on it  don´t really justify it. Very nicely  built together.

It sounded pretty impressive from cold too. I guess it needs some burn in?
 I switched after a couple of hours to the Belleson regulated powersupply for
my microRendu and this was very clear that my older Teddy pardo was better initially, after some hours the Belleson also start to sing. I am still using my Didit dac
but I am very courious to try the LIO dac too. Its nice to easily hear the differences with the LIO, its that transparent and surprisingly weighty sounding. Much ballsier than
my old 100 watt monoblocs from Teddy pardo.  Volume nevere exeeds 32 - its loud enough. Another positive surprise.

Thank you Vinnie for a real winner,

Regards Magnus

LARRY KYOTO

« Reply #12 on: 24 Aug 2016, 01:00 pm »
The LIO arrived today.

It is really an impressive build. Pictures on it  don´t really justify it. Very nicely  built together.

Volume nevere exeeds 32 - its loud enough. Another positive surprise.

Regards Magnus

Welcome Magnus to the international world of LIO...mine resides in Kyoto. Enjoy!!

Vinnie R.

« Reply #13 on: 24 Aug 2016, 04:52 pm »
The LIO arrived today.

It sounded pretty impressive from cold too. I guess it needs some burn in?
 I switched after a couple of hours to the Belleson regulated powersupply for
my microRendu and this was very clear that my older Teddy pardo was better initially, after some hours the Belleson also start to sing. I am still using my Didit dac
but I am very courious to try the LIO dac too. Its nice to easily hear the differences with the LIO, its that transparent and surprisingly weighty sounding. Much ballsier than
my old 100 watt monoblocs from Teddy pardo.  Volume nevere exeeds 32 - its loud enough. Another positive surprise.

Regards Magnus

Hi Magnus,

I'm glad you received your LIO and enjoying it!  Give it a good 100+ hours... it's going to get even better.  8)

Thanks for posting your initial impressions!

Vinnie

matthewpartrick

• vinnierossiforum.com
    • The Clueless Audiophile
« Reply #14 on: 25 Aug 2016, 04:46 pm »
I'm interested in the VR120 as well.  Currently I'm using the LIO MOSFET to drive a pair of Joseph Audio Pulsars, which at 8 ohms nominal/6 ohm min and average 86 db sensitivity may do a little better with more juice.  That said I typically listen at fairly low levels so I'm not sure how big of a difference I need; toddlers around the house tend to limit my rockin' out. :)

Vinnie R.

« Reply #15 on: 25 Aug 2016, 05:53 pm »
That said I typically listen at fairly low levels so I'm not sure how big of a difference I need; toddlers around the house tend to limit my rockin' out. :)

Hi matthewpartrick,

If this is the case, you will be fine with the LIO MOSFET AMP.

I've run Harbeth SHL5+ and 40.2s (around the same sensitivity/impedance) at audio shows with LIO MOSFET AMP
and levels much louder than "fairly low levels" - no problem at all  :wink:

Vinnie

matthewpartrick

• vinnierossiforum.com
    • The Clueless Audiophile
« Reply #16 on: 26 Aug 2016, 12:02 am »
Hi matthewpartrick,

If this is the case, you will be fine with the LIO MOSFET AMP.

I've run Harbeth SHL5+ and 40.2s (around the same sensitivity/impedance) at audio shows with LIO MOSFET AMP
and levels much louder than "fairly low levels" - no problem at all  :wink:

Vinnie

Good times :).  When the kids are old enough for me to blow them away then I'll upgrade!

magnuska

« Reply #17 on: 26 Aug 2016, 09:52 am »
Hi!

After receving the LIO with its 25 watt mosfet amp I am convinced that I don`t need more power for now. I use standmounts speaker 86 db/w sensitivity.

So the best way to go for me is probably the DHT but first I will enjoy my LIO and hear and explore records again.
I read with interest the DHT thread and about wich tubes to use.  I would appreciate the most neutral ones though. I guess the ones that Vinnie include in the package.

All the best

Magnus

Odal3

« Reply #18 on: 26 Aug 2016, 11:14 am »
Hi Magnus. Good to see there are more Swedes on this forum. Enjoy the new equipment!

Vinnie R.

« Reply #19 on: 29 Aug 2016, 01:54 pm »
Hi!

After receving the LIO with its 25 watt mosfet amp I am convinced that I don`t need more power for now. I use standmounts speaker 86 db/w sensitivity.

So the best way to go for me is probably the DHT but first I will enjoy my LIO and hear and explore records again.
I read with interest the DHT thread and about wich tubes to use.  I would appreciate the most neutral ones though. I guess the ones that Vinnie include in the package.

All the best

Magnus

Hi Magnus,

Most LIO customers who order the LIO with MOSFET AMP are pleasantly surprised with its power output.  I'm glad it is working out well for you!

Yes, the stock EH2A3 Gold Grid tubes are the ones that you will probably like the best (more neutral signature).

Cheers!

Vinnie