Bryston Loudspeakers

RLL1

Re: Bryston Loudspeakers
« Reply #100 on: 14 Aug 2011, 06:01 pm »
The Axiom drivers are all excellent in design and are all custom to Axiom speakers. I looked around a lot for a partner on this and I was mighty impressed with the Axiom company and the science behind there loudspeakers (they even have their own Anechoic Chamber in the factory).  Also the engineer behind a lot of the Mirage products (API) is now one of the designers at Axiom and I am working with him on this project.

The comments are indicative though of how people just dismiss a product like Axiom because it does not appear to cost enough.  I can tell you the M80 - which I have in my room now is one hell of a speaker. :thumb:

james

I came very close to purchasing a pair of Axiom speakers 28 years ago when I was assembling my first component system. I ended up going with Polk Audio, which were sold by the same dealer as the Carver amp I was getting. The Axioms did sound good, but I was swayed by the "package" deal.

Rick

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #101 on: 14 Aug 2011, 07:24 pm »
That's the part that caught my interest when I was researching this.  Here is a company that for 30 years has been designing loudspeakers and have probably forgot more than I know. I ordered a pair of the 80's and was really surprised at the performance level.  I spoke with the owner Ian and realized that expensive does not necessarily mean high performance.

Also I am a little biased as I was involved many years ago in the blind listening tests at the Canadian research facility in Ottawa when Floyd Toole was running all the speaker tests (as was Ian) and I learned a lot about what matters when it comes good sounding loudspeakers.

james

So, do you recommend Axiom speakers? And how do they sound with Bryston?

They're very reasonable! Only $1,380.00 a pair for the M80s!

vegasdave

« Reply #102 on: 14 Aug 2011, 07:25 pm »
Here's what the JT-1's would look like in Black Gloss and Walnut

james

:thumb:

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #103 on: 14 Aug 2011, 11:02 pm »
 James ,in the last pix is that other panel with the holes a plinth or a brace? :scratch:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #104 on: 14 Aug 2011, 11:03 pm »
James ,in the last pix is that other panel with the holes a plinth or a brace? :scratch:

Picture of the plinth - the holes change the resonance frequency of the plinth.

james

redbook

« Reply #105 on: 14 Aug 2011, 11:10 pm »
Beautiful,love that. Who would appreciate this by just looking at the surface of things. Keep up the great work. By the way(silly question),if these ever go into production would they be available as regular non active models? Oh  yeh ,one more query , if these are acoustic suspension how do these drivers work from the Axiom : which are reflex?    :scratch:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #106 on: 14 Aug 2011, 11:17 pm »
Beautiful,love that. Who would appreciate this by just looking at the surface of things. Keep up the great work. By the way(silly question),if these ever go into production would they be available as regular non active models? Oh  yeh ,one more query , if these are acoustic suspension how do these drivers work from the Axiom : which are reflex?    :scratch:

No they would only be available as active as they are really designed with that as the main focus.

The woofer suspensions are modified to work with the specific type of enclosure.

james

redbook

« Reply #107 on: 14 Aug 2011, 11:36 pm »
Thanks James :thumb:

sfraser

« Reply #108 on: 15 Aug 2011, 12:18 am »
James, while I realize the designs/price points  are completely different, how do the JT-1's sound compared to the PMC MB2's you have owned in the past?

I have been thinking about new speakers in the next year or two. The MB2's were on the top of my list, and the used ones in good shape are currently around $6-8k.

Cheers,

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #109 on: 15 Aug 2011, 12:31 am »
James, while I realize the designs/price points  are completely different, how do the JT-1's sound compared to the PMC MB2's you have owned in the past?

I have been thinking about new speakers in the next year or two. The MB2's were on the top of my list, and the used ones in good shape are currently around $6-8k.

Cheers,

Hi,

It would be unfair for me to comment at this point as we are still experimenting and the MB2's are a tough act to follow. :green:

james

DaveNote

• Without music, life would be a mistake. Nietzsche
« Reply #110 on: 15 Aug 2011, 04:30 pm »
Hi. I'm new to AudioCircle. I was interested sfraser's question about PMC MB2 speakers. I have discovered never to underestimate Bryston's ability to come out with a product that beats the competition, and I wouldn't be surprised if it were to make great speakers. But I am not only a PMC fan, I am most definitely an MB2 enthusiast. I loved the MB2s I bought several years ago, but felt they lacked something in the high range I was looking for. I listened to comparably priced Wilsons, which were outstanding, but I decided that I would miss the MB2 signature sound - rich and linear sound with great authentic bass. Without hearing them, I bought the newer MB2i series, and found the high end just right and that the speakers are now very balanced. In short, highly recommended. BTW, I drive them with Bryston equipment: 7BSSTs, BP20 (upgraded to use an MPS-2), BDA-1, and BDP-1.
« Last Edit: 15 Aug 2011, 07:28 pm by DaveNote »

amblin

• 'On the cutting edge of cocking about.'
« Reply #111 on: 15 Aug 2011, 06:39 pm »
 i just did a quick browse on Axiom's website...

they are offering custom finish and 3-6 working day FREE WORLD WIDE SHIPPING.. :o on 25KG/each FLOOR STANDING speakers... wow... i mean.. WOW! :o ... are they really the cheap and cheerful masterpiece thought to be long extincted in the money-no-objet world of hifi? :o

---

James, i see they are a company based in Canada and make most of the drivers in Shanghai http://www.patriotmusic.us/PatriotMusic/company_interviews/axiom_audio.html

But how about the cabinet and final assembling,  testing? Because in my book, these r the things that really counts to produce a good speaker....  I'm seeing a dire need of getting a pair of those towers and try... :lol:

vegasdave

« Reply #112 on: 15 Aug 2011, 07:27 pm »
They're good, but on second glance the woofers aren't big enough for me. I'm not talkin' about the JT-1s but the M80s.

amblin

« Reply #113 on: 15 Aug 2011, 08:23 pm »
They're good, but on second glance the woofers aren't big enough for me. I'm not talkin' about the JT-1s but the M80s.

Dave, Interesting that you mentioned this. Because while looking for a pair of mid-towers for the tubes in my bedroom, i just auditioned a pair of ProAc Pro6 (6.5" carbon LF) earlier last week, driven by Ayer's top pre and power amps. While i compaired them against my MB2i, the ProAc's lower end sounded remarkably dull and lacked texture (for the price tag) , i was quite confused because the driving power was supposed to be more than enough for those 6.5"s, but hmm...

For the M80s, they r some 1/30 the price of Pro6s, made in canada plus free shipping and cheap return.. oh yes i'm tempted....VERY.  :icon_lol:

vegasdave

« Reply #114 on: 15 Aug 2011, 09:45 pm »
That's what I'm talking about. Imo, those small woofers can't get the job done.

Well, it's quite possible the Axioms will outperform the ProAcs. Stranger things have happened in the world of audio.

milford3

« Reply #115 on: 15 Aug 2011, 09:56 pm »
This thread is SO interesting.  James, I have owned Axioms for many, many, years and have nothing but high marks for their crossovers and drivers.  What a surprize that the Axiom driver was your choice.  I think if you go with the Axiom drivers you will sell a great many speakers if you go that route.   :D

Here is half your speaker James.  Good luck.

spinner

« Reply #116 on: 15 Aug 2011, 10:42 pm »
They aren't made in Canada. They are assembled in Canada. No offence to Axiom, they are no doubt a good product but let's be accurate as to their methods.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #117 on: 16 Aug 2011, 01:16 am »
Yes Axiom has its own company in China that manufactures the drivers.  All the other manufacturing is done at the Canadian facility.

james

gdbalp

« Reply #118 on: 16 Aug 2011, 03:26 am »
Hi James,

It been a while since I posted something, but I think we all want to get a sense of how these speakers compare to other speakers like the following:

1) IB2
2) JBL 1400 array
3) S8 signatures from Paradigm

I know it early in the developments, but it is nice to get a reference point from your vast experiences over the years :o?

Ciao, Luigi

amblin

« Reply #119 on: 16 Aug 2011, 06:20 am »
Yes Axiom has its own company in China that manufactures the drivers.  All the other manufacturing is done at the Canadian facility.

james

Thanks James , Spinner.  I'm fine with that, because i'm not too strict on where the parts were made .  Evem multi hundred thousand dollar monsters had parts made in all sorts of places.

It's the design, final assembly , inspection and testing that really counts.