New Songtowers finally setup :)

Kruz

New Songtowers finally setup :)
« on: 16 Jul 2014, 02:11 pm »
The long wait is now over and I have setup my 5.1 surround sound system with Song Towers RT, Song Center RT, Custom Salk Wall mounted Surrounds and and SVS SB2000.  I am using a Denon X4000.  The sound is amazing on two channel music and now I want to tweak for HT use.

I was hoping for some suggestions on crossovers to use for all 5 speakers to the sub.  I have everything set to small right now for speaker size.

I'm going to take some pictures and post them up.  Going with the french cleat like a previous posters makes for a very nice install (after I used the right sided french cleat for the right speaker  :duh:)

Thanks!

JonnyFive

Re: New Songtowers finally setup :)
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jul 2014, 02:43 pm »
Run Audyssey auto setup with the X4000.  Recommend a boom stand for the microphone, pointed up at the ceiling.  Use all 8 positions, even if they are spaced out narrowly (like the size of your head).

Audyssey will suggest crossover settings.  From there you can raise the values up.  It suggests my center/surrounds at 60 hz, but I take them all the way up to 120 hz or they distort on loud passages. 

I run the sub 1 db hot, I run the Soundscapes full range.  You may want to try "Audyssey Bypass L/R" when all is said and done.  Audyssey may make your towers sound thin/metallic, which I find unbearable on 2 channel listening. 

Audyssey could make a lot of customers happier and simultaneously cut into Anthem room correction's (ARC) marketshare if they would just incorporate an upper limit to which correction is applied (i.e., 300hz).  But alas, no. 

Q3Di

« Reply #2 on: 16 Jul 2014, 03:38 pm »
Can't wait to see the pictures! Wanna see how nice the surround speakers are
Enjoy!

audiocrazy

« Reply #3 on: 16 Jul 2014, 07:59 pm »
I've have my ST xovered at 80Hz for both HT and 2-channel. I've experimented with various xovers 40, 60, full range and found 80Hz integrates well with my JTR Captivator S2. Full range is the worst sounding in my room even though I've a well treated room. The bass is too bloated and occasionally when I crank up the volume (90db) the midrange woofers can't handle and makes spluttering sound.
I'm also curious to see Custom Wall Surrounds. When you get a chance can u please post some pics.

laulau

« Reply #4 on: 16 Jul 2014, 09:02 pm »
The long wait is now over and I have setup my 5.1 surround sound system with Song Towers RT, Song Center RT, Custom Salk Wall mounted Surrounds and and SVS SB2000.  I am using a Denon X4000.  The sound is amazing on two channel music and now I want to tweak for HT use.

I was hoping for some suggestions on crossovers to use for all 5 speakers to the sub.  I have everything set to small right now for speaker size.

I'm going to take some pictures and post them up.  Going with the french cleat like a previous posters makes for a very nice install (after I used the right sided french cleat for the right speaker  :duh:)

Thanks!

First, if you haven't already done so, find the best subwoofer location (doing the "Subwoofer Crawl" can help in this).
http://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer-setup/easy-subwoofer-placement

When you do the Audyssey routine, experiment with different microphone patterns, I personally use the #101 pattern from the link below.  YMMV.
http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/audio-processing/68407-audyssey-multeq-faq-setup-guide.html#post622338

After running Audyssey, I would guess that the crossover gets set at 40 Hz, so it's ok to experiment with 60 Hz and 80 Hz (or higher) to see which you prefer.  I would just set the Center and Surrounds to 80 Hz and leave them there.

As far as Audyssey curves are concerned, I suggest experimenting with Audyssey and Audyssey Flat to see which you prefer.

Other recommendations:
1.  Bump up the sub trim level in the AVR a few dBs to suit your taste.
2.  Experiment with Dynamic EQ.  I leave mine set to On, with a Reference Level Offset of -5.
3.  Turn OFF the Dynamic Volume.
4.  Turn OFF the Low Frequency Containment (LFC).
5.  Set the LPF of LFE to 120 Hz.

IMO.

- for the record, I have ST RAALs, SC RAALs, SSurrounds, dual Rythmik F12s, Denon 4520Ci.

robcentola

« Reply #5 on: 17 Jul 2014, 07:52 pm »

Thanks!

Pics? Maybe you're too busy listening to music! :)

Kruz

« Reply #6 on: 21 Jul 2014, 03:49 pm »
Ok found some time to take some pictures after doing a lot of listening and working with the setup.

To start the finish is a lighter gray on curly maple:

I wanted the finish to be a little lighter due to my lighter gray floors.  Jim did a great job on the color and the grain looks amazing for a standard finish.  FYI I wouldn't go this light if your speakers are in direct sunlight as they will look a bit green.  Since mine are in the basement with no direct light this is not an issue.  I'm guessing this is the true color of the maple showing through the lighter gray dye.  Not sure.

This is the overall front look.  After some listening I realized I like these speakers with no toe in.  It make the sound stage much wider for me and some songs sound more airy (for a lack of a better term).  I still need to relocate the tv's power cable to finish everything off:

Here is the front speaker with no grill.  I went with the hardwood trim and really glad I did:

This is the center with no grill.  Mounting the center (and the rears) with a french cleat makes for such a clean look.  I would highly recommend it:

Since I like projects I dressed up my subwoofer and front cables with some cable sleeve and pants.  I do wish I had gone with a more powerful sub but only for HT use.  The SB is a great sub for music:

Since people were interested in the rear speakers I took a bunch of pictures.  These were difficult to mount but only because I did them myself.  For both the center and the rears I replaced the drywall anchors with EZ Anchors rated for 70 lbs along side the one screw into a stud.  Its probably overkill but I feel like I could sit on my center without any worries :).  The rears are downward ported.

robcentola

« Reply #7 on: 21 Jul 2014, 04:20 pm »
Very nice.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #8 on: 21 Jul 2014, 04:40 pm »
Nice.

Probably a little echoey in there right now with all the hard surfaces.

The crawl test works wonders to best place the sub.  You will be able to instantly hear the louder levels w/o using a meter and know that is the best location.  Takes all of 60 seconds to perform once you heave the sub into your listening chair.  Play a 40 or 60 hz tone and whalla.

Kruz

« Reply #9 on: 21 Jul 2014, 04:51 pm »
Yeah I had to move the speakers around a bunch to lessen the echo sound.  I'm going to look into getting a larger area rug and maybe some wall treatment.  I did the sub crawl and the best sound was actually in that left hand side corner.  I'm glad it was because that was the best place for it layout wise as well.

Can someone point me in the right direction of where to start with wall treatment?

Nice.

Probably a little echoey in there right now with all the hard surfaces.

The crawl test works wonders to best place the sub.  You will be able to instantly hear the louder levels w/o using a meter and know that is the best location.  Takes all of 60 seconds to perform once you heave the sub into your listening chair.  Play a 40 or 60 hz tone and whalla.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #10 on: 21 Jul 2014, 06:24 pm »
GIK (here on AC)
Real Traps (also here)
ATS Acoustics

Plenty of DIY out there which I personally like because I like to make things

chargedmr2

« Reply #11 on: 22 Jul 2014, 02:34 am »
Looks nice!  Definitely get some acoustic treatments and cover that floor with a nice thick wool rug or something similar.  This is just based on the pictures, but I have a feeling that you haven't really "heard" what you Salks will do quite yet.  I predict dramatic differences post acoustic treatment.  Have fun!!!

Kruz

« Reply #12 on: 22 Jul 2014, 02:02 pm »
Thanks for the comment and I agree about the flat surfaces and echo.  I brought down a very thick berber carpet last night and noticed an immediate improvement to the sound.  I looked into the GIK panels and like the idea but the wife says its a no go.  However I just came across the artpanels and think that might be the perfect solution to my problem and my wife's hesitation with the regular panels.

For the panels would it be enough to cover the first reflection point and add the large carpet on the floor?  Or should I also look into getting bass traps for the front two corners and looking into covering the second reflection point?

Looks nice!  Definitely get some acoustic treatments and cover that floor with a nice thick wool rug or something similar.  This is just based on the pictures, but I have a feeling that you haven't really "heard" what you Salks will do quite yet.  I predict dramatic differences post acoustic treatment.  Have fun!!!

DEP14

« Reply #13 on: 22 Jul 2014, 05:56 pm »
Yeah I had to move the speakers around a bunch to lessen the echo sound.  I'm going to look into getting a larger area rug and maybe some wall treatment.  I did the sub crawl and the best sound was actually in that left hand side corner.  I'm glad it was because that was the best place for it layout wise as well.

Can someone point me in the right direction of where to start with wall treatment?

Agree with GIK acoustics, they were awesome and can be a huge help. 

I like those rear speakers, after my center is done I may kick around having Jim build some rears for my system.

chargedmr2

« Reply #14 on: 22 Jul 2014, 07:37 pm »
Thanks for the comment and I agree about the flat surfaces and echo.  I brought down a very thick berber carpet last night and noticed an immediate improvement to the sound.  I looked into the GIK panels and like the idea but the wife says its a no go.  However I just came across the artpanels and think that might be the perfect solution to my problem and my wife's hesitation with the regular panels.

For the panels would it be enough to cover the first reflection point and add the large carpet on the floor?  Or should I also look into getting bass traps for the front two corners and looking into covering the second reflection point?

I'm no expert with acoustic treatment, so I will let others chime in there.  I do know that my room was pretty empty to start and as we filled it with furniture, carpet, etc. the audio continued to get better and better and better.  My wife is also not keen on panels, but if your wife is good with the art panels I bet that will make a big difference for your first reflections on the left and right walls.   On another note, I would suggest investing some time and a little money into measurement gear to get your sub set up and nicely integrated with your mains.  It's well worth the effort!  You already have good advice on where to start for locating it in the room, but it probably needs considerable EQ to get it where it needs to be.  I found that Audessey was not a good option for me.  I didn't like what it did with the sound from the mains, and frankly, I was not impressed with what it did for my sub either.  So, get a dedicated EQ for your sub (if you don't already have one) and measure--it's very illuminating to "see" what things sound like.