How to use the Squeezebox Touch to play DSD files on a DoP compatible DAC

Guidof

Russ:

Did you have to set the EDO buffer size to any particular value with your Benchmark DAC2? I'll try it over the weekend, but I'm curious about your setup. Thanks.

Regards,

Guido.

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
Did you have to set the EDO buffer size to any particular value with your Benchmark DAC2?

I don't remember doing that.  I'll check and let you know.

Russ

Guidof

OK. I just posted the following on the SlimDevices Forum:

Following a failed attempt at using EDO+USB+Benchmark DAC2 D, I switched to SPDIF (coax). Everything worked fine up to 24/96. But playing a 24/192 track results in distorted sound and the LEDs on the Benchmark show 24/44.1. (All this because I wanted to eventually test the DSD over DoP capability of this DAC).

Did a factory reset, re-installed EDO, played with buffer size choices. Even tried a different SBT. Same unsatisfactory results.

I'm really baffled by this. The database indicates full compatibility of EDO and Benchmark DAC2, so I must conclude that I'm either doing something asinine or this particular DAC is defective. I lean toward the former ;-).

I really like the sound quality of this DAC, so I'd like to be able to make it work to its full (presumed) capability.

Any ideas?

Guido F.

holzohr

Russ, you can add the Matrix X-Sabre to the list. Playing DSD (DoP) works superb via USB. DSD LED is "on". A dream came true! I am just somewhere in the seventh audio heaven.
USB connection works "out of the box", after a reboot. The next hours I will be busy with converting all my DSD files into DoP. Thank God, it`s weekend.  :)

@Guido, sorry to hear about that. I was not following the EDO thread since March anymore. Maybe a Benchmark DAC2 D owner has posted about the DAC there? After what I have read (and also confirmed by Arthur from the US office of Matrix Audio) it is a plus when the USB DAC is using the XMOS chip. The EDO app supports this. I already had good experience with the Oppo 105 as USB DAC for the SBT and now with the X-Sabre. Both of them are using the XMOS chip. Do you have a powered 2.0 USB hub to place between the DAC and SBT?

Best regards,
Mario

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Mario,
Thanks.  Could you confirm if the Matrix X-SABRE also accepts the DoP files via SPDIF?  I have used Arthur's nice inexpensive X-SPDIF converter to pass standard DoP (i.e not converted FLAC) via SPDIF to several of my DSD DACs (Mytek, Chord,etc) and therefore assume the X-SABRE DAC could do it too, but the folks over on Head-Fi are questioning that (in fact they questioned DoP via SPDIF generally, until I confirmed for them it is reality).  We changed the DSD database (I had it as USB and digital inputs) to only show USB but my hunch remains.  Thanks

holzohr

Ted,
the Matrix X-Sabre accepts DoP via USB only. Via SPDIF, the DAC`s LEDs indicate a 176,4kHz file but there is no sound. I was asking Arthur and also the Chinese main office about this. Their answer was: "... the digital inputs of X-SABRE can not handle DoP format, it can handle DoP format via USB only. "

Btw, thanks for the DSD Database. It was a big help for finding a suitable DAC.

Guidof

OK. I just posted the following on the SlimDevices Forum:

Following a failed attempt at using EDO+USB+Benchmark DAC2 D, I switched to SPDIF (coax). Everything worked fine up to 24/96. But playing a 24/192 track results in distorted sound and the LEDs on the Benchmark show 24/44.1. (All this because I wanted to eventually test the DSD over DoP capability of this DAC).

Did a factory reset, re-installed EDO, played with buffer size choices. Even tried a different SBT. Same unsatisfactory results.

I'm really baffled by this. The database indicates full compatibility of EDO and Benchmark DAC2, so I must conclude that I'm either doing something asinine or this particular DAC is defective. I lean toward the former ;-).

I really like the sound quality of this DAC, so I'd like to be able to make it work to its full (presumed) capability.

Any ideas?

Guido F.

Problem solved. It turns out that my file setting in LMS was wrong. Of course it was entirely my stupidity! Reset FLAC to 'native' and it all works beautifully.

Guido F.

holzohr

The oscilloscope of the SBT seems to be confused about the format a bit.   8)

bprice2

Just want to let you all know that I have finally been able to make this work on my TEAC UD-501.  It is a bit quirky, though.

First, in order to even get a USB connection between the TEAC and SBT/EDO (the TEAC only does DSD via USB), I placed a 2.0 USB hub between the two.  I have no idea why this would be necessary.  I just did it on a lark and it worked.

At this point, I was able to play all PCM (44.1-192) thru the USB connection, but not the flac-converted DSD files.  When I attempted to play the converted DSD files, the TEAC would alternate back and forth between PCM and DSD mode producing stuttering noise.

Through sheer trial and error I realized that I could get the TEAC to play the converted DSD files through the SBT/EDO if I first played a PCM file that was 24/192 (176.4 might work too, but I haven't tried it).

So, that's it.  A little quirky, but it works.  When I go to listen to my converted DSF files, the only thing I need to do is listen to a little of the Doobie Brothers' Captain and Me at 24/192 and I'm good to go.  Weird, huh?

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Not so weird.  Many of us first need a "little of the doobie" to listen to music correctly, too.  :)

bprice2

Ha...double entendre.

holzohr

bprice, did you read about the TEAC A-H01 and UD-H01 in the EDO compatibility list? No USB hub needed when...

Tested and working with EDO Kernel #12, plays 24-bit 192Khz correctly, sounds good too

Should TEAC have changed the USB part with the UD-501?

bprice2

bprice, did you read about the TEAC A-H01 and UD-H01 in the EDO compatibility list? No USB hub needed when...

Should TEAC have changed the USB part with the UD-501?

Yes sir, I did...then I forgot about it.  What is this kernel #12 and where would I find one?

holzohr

Hmmm... to be honest, I just had to look for this the very first time. I am kind of spoiled by the working default settings. At first with the Oppo 105 and now with the X-Sabre.

Ok, you find that in the menu of the SBT, via settings* --> extended --> Kernel Updater.  There you find several USB Test Kernels. Good luck!

* my menu language is German. not sure if "settings" is the correct name in the English menu.

bprice2

Hmmm... to be honest, I just had to look for this the very first time. I am kind of spoiled by the working default settings. At first with the Oppo 105 and now with the X-Sabre.

Ok, you find that in the menu of the SBT, via settings* --> extended --> Kernel Updater.  There you find several USB Test Kernels. Good luck!

* my menu language is German. not sure if "settings" is the correct name in the English menu.

I think I know what you're talking about.  I'll give it a try.  Thank you.

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
Just want to let you all know that I have finally been able to make this work on my TEAC UD-501. 

That's a relief.  I'd like to know what's causing that quirkiness.

Russ

Hammer

Hi, I followed the great instructions in this thread to convert a few of my DSD DFF files to DoP using foobar.  I have a SBT with EDO feeding a Benchmark DAC2 via COAX.  The files play fine 75% of the time and sounds great, but every now and then, the current song will stop playing and a few seconds later, the next track will play.  The error I see on the SBT is "Connection reset by Server." 

It's interesting that the same song might skip some of the time, but not all (eg., it will play fine in its entirety).  This leads me to believe that the song file is okay, but something else is making it skip.  I am using the LMS version 7.7.  At first, I thought it might be a bandwidth issue, but I also have some 24/192 files and those all play fine and never skip.  So, it seems like it's a DoP issue.  From the prior posts, it sounds like 24/192 files require more throughput and when I compare a 24/192 file and DoP file of the same song, I do see that the 24/192 version is larger.  So, it doesn't appear to be a throughput issue via the COAX.

I've not tried a USB connection since I noticed this problem, but when I first got the DAC2, I first tried to connect the SBT to it via USB, but wasn't able to get it to work, so I just used the COAX which works fine up to 24/192. 

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Hammer.

holzohr

Hello Hammer,
I also use a SBT, connected to a Matrix X-Sabre via USB. My DoP files play fine, as long the LMS is not busy with scanning new added music files/folders. DoP playback is not possible then. The DAC is switching between DSD and "176,4kHz".  That`s the only issue I have but not really a problem.

Hammer

Thanks.  Good to know that it works and most likely an issue with my setup.  On that note, would you mind sharing if you use the USB 2.0 port on the DAC2?  Is the SBT a USB 2.0 device?  Do you need to use a USB hub like I have read elsewhere?  Lastly, can you tell me the order in which you connect the devices?  I have tried using USB with the DAC2 and EDO, but that always resulted in the SBT hanging.  Thanks very much.  Hammer.

holzohr

Sorry, I don`t have the DAC2. My DoP DAC is the Matrix X-Sabre. No USB hub needed between the SBT and the DAC.

According to the EDO compatibility list the Benchmark DAC2 doesn`t need a USB hub either https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AqiK6WHnz5FHdEtlalVRb29pX3N2WXhfMlAzNmFMZnc#gid=0
But this point seems to be important:
For USB, user must set EDO Buffer size to any setting except "Default" or "Very Large + Randomise CPU", then let the Touch reboot to reacquire handshake with the DAC or else sound will be distorted.

Do you pack your DSD files into a 192kHz FLAC container or 176,4kHz?

Because of missing USB hot-plugging the DAC must be switched on before the SBT, in the daily use. Make sure that you have an USB 2.0 cable between the SBT and your DAC.