24 bit FLAC Radiohead

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
24 bit FLAC Radiohead
« on: 29 Mar 2011, 07:45 pm »
I don't see this posted here so I'll pass it along.  7digital out of the U.K. www.7digital.com is now offering the new Radiohead album as a 24/44.1 FLAC download.  For $11.99, you get three downloads: FLAC24, FLAC16, AAC320k.

I downloaded it last night and it plays back great in Foobar2000.

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: 24 bit FLAC Radiohead
« Reply #1 on: 29 Mar 2011, 08:19 pm »
Thanks.  Saw this a few days ago announced.  You won't find a bigger Radiohead fan than me (seen them twice, etc)...even for an old guy like me they are amazing.  HOWEVER, pisses me off that I spent $14 to d/l the wav files on Feb 18th, only to be surprised now that they have 24 bit files at $11!!  WTF.

Folks on the Hoffman site say they (24 bit 44.1kHz FLACs) have peak limiting/RMS levels identical to the previous 16 bit.

Wonder if someone could post an Audacity Spectrum of the 16 and 24 bit files here.   :)  OK, I'll start, here's 16 bit Bloom.

roscoeiii

« Reply #2 on: 29 Mar 2011, 08:27 pm »
Ted,

Excuse my lack of Hi-Rez knowledge, but what are the sonic implications of the files having "peak limiting/RMS levels identical to the previous 16 bit"? Still a sonic improvement over 16/44 if this is the case?

nathanm

« Reply #3 on: 29 Mar 2011, 08:46 pm »
I'VE NEVER HEARD RADIOHEAD BEFORE, BUT FROM THE LOOKS OF THAT GRAPH THAT ALBUMS LOOKS TO BE HELLA LOUD. THAT'S AWESOME! AM I RIGHT? IS IT LOUD?  CAUSE IF SO I'LL LIKE TOTALLY BUY IT!  UNLESS YOU KNOW OF AN ALBUM THAT'S LOUDER, CAUSE THEN I'D BUY THAT INSTEAD. THANKS!

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #4 on: 29 Mar 2011, 08:54 pm »
Ted---I was the one telling everyone about the wav....oops!!! :surrender:
...I'm so bummed.....looks like they got us and probably a lot of others
for a double hit....

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 29 Mar 2011, 09:06 pm »
Ed, No, don't worry...I put up the Radiohead announcement wayyyy before anyone.....in fact Pez was giving me sh$t for it.  :)  There was nothing stopping me from getting the new album 5 minutes after it was released.  No way I was waiting.....it's just that this kinda sucks for those of us who fronted them the $$.  How about a download link coupon or something!  C/mon Thom.   8)

pjchappy

« Reply #6 on: 29 Mar 2011, 09:09 pm »
Ed, No, don't worry...I put up the Radiohead announcement wayyyy before anyone.....in fact Pez was giving me sh$t for it.  :)  There was nothing stopping me from getting the new album 5 minutes after it was released.  No way I was waiting.....it's just that this kinda sucks for those of us who fronted them the $$.  How about a download link coupon or something!  C/mon Thom.   8)

Well, I ordered the damn vinyl version (how's that for hi-res; it does come w/ a CD, too); however, I do not (and do not plan to) have a vinyl set-up. :lol:

Paul

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 29 Mar 2011, 09:50 pm »
A coupon would be nice...hey I just tried buying it with a MC and when doing the form they ask for the security code--got that no problem. Then they ask for an: Issue #---what the F is that??

Pez

« Reply #8 on: 29 Mar 2011, 10:23 pm »
Well, I ordered the damn vinyl version (how's that for hi-res; it does come w/ a CD, too); however, I do not (and do not plan to) have a vinyl set-up. :lol:

Paul
did the same thing. And no vinyl rig either.   :lol:

I'll have to download this.

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 2 Apr 2011, 02:17 am »
I have downloaded every version 7digital has on the website and they all say 16/44.1 in Media Monkey, Foobar, I have sent emails and gotten no response--I don't know guys. Somebody let me know if you hear anything...I'm so ticked off right now.....

HumanMedia

« Reply #10 on: 3 Apr 2011, 12:25 am »
Just downloaded this from the UK site, and just want to let you know that the ones downloaded are recognized by my media player as 24bit 44k.  The 24 bit ones are around 440mb, the 16bit are around 270mb.

Eclein, what file sizes are your downloads?

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #11 on: 3 Apr 2011, 12:33 am »
I downloaded mine from the US site.  They are definitely 24 bit, and sound slightly clear and a bit more dynamic than their redbook counterparts.   I didn't publish the spectrums cuz they are virtual ly identical.

stereocilia

« Reply #12 on: 3 Apr 2011, 01:29 am »
I'VE NEVER HEARD RADIOHEAD BEFORE, BUT FROM THE LOOKS OF THAT GRAPH THAT ALBUMS LOOKS TO BE HELLA LOUD. THAT'S AWESOME! AM I RIGHT? IS IT LOUD?  CAUSE IF SO I'LL LIKE TOTALLY BUY IT!  UNLESS YOU KNOW OF AN ALBUM THAT'S LOUDER, CAUSE THEN I'D BUY THAT INSTEAD. THANKS!
how can you tell it's loud?  is it because broad-band sounds seem louder than narrow-band sounds at the same level?  loudness is encoded by color on a frequency by time graph, no?  does magenta mean close to clipping?

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: 3 Apr 2011, 03:00 am »
Just downloaded this from the UK site, and just want to let you know that the ones downloaded are recognized by my media player as 24bit 44k.  The 24 bit ones are around 440mb, the 16bit are around 270mb.

Eclein, what file sizes are your downloads?
I got them all....here what I got in order....
 1st set-Track #1 Bloom 1682/44.1  FLAC   60.6MB
 2nd set-Track#1 Bloom  320/44.1  m4a    12.2 MB
 3rd set- Track#1 Boom  16/44.1    FLAC    60.6MB

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #14 on: 3 Apr 2011, 03:23 am »
Although my FLAC compression may be slightly different than others (but consistent across my library), my 16 bit Bloom is 37MB, and my 24 bit one is 62MB.  Furthermore, my FLAC metadata clearly shows 24 bit, and in the comments section even says 24bit7digital

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #15 on: 3 Apr 2011, 04:11 pm »
I think I got a bad download link--waiting on response to email sent Friday PM...