Chord Mojo

questfortone

Chord Mojo
« on: 17 Oct 2015, 10:13 pm »
I am surprised that no one has mention this new dac yet. There a 43 pages of discussion on Head-Fi about this amazing new dac by Chord
http://www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-the-official-thread

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: Chord Mojo
« Reply #1 on: 17 Oct 2015, 10:18 pm »
Yep, Rob's great FPGA coding, $599 US and does DSD256 (unlike Hugo and 2Qute).  It's mainly for headphone users, so I won't be reviewing it. I'm not as experienced in that niche.

questfortone

« Reply #2 on: 17 Oct 2015, 10:34 pm »
Plans are to offer accessories called "Butt Plates" that will include: a Bluetooth, a Wifi (UPNP) and/or a SD card reader. The Bluetooth butt plate allows connection to Bluetooth without cables (need to hear this as cables usually produce better sound). The Wifi butt plate allows connection to an UPNP device like a computer to pull audio from a mass music library. And the SD card reader is for audio file storage.

lextek

« Reply #3 on: 26 Nov 2015, 03:14 pm »
I've had a Mojo for about a week now and love it.  It's not just for headphones.  I'm using it as a DAC in my speaker system.  Excellent.

SearchOfSub

• Restricted
« Reply #4 on: 26 Nov 2015, 03:24 pm »
someone told me only slightly better than Audioquest Dragonfly 1.2. Not worth the cost. Skipping this one.

ksbruce

« Reply #5 on: 26 Nov 2015, 11:09 pm »
someone told me only slightly better than Audioquest Dragonfly 1.2. Not worth the cost. Skipping this one.
I bet 99.9% of the Mojo owners would disagree with this. I've never heard the AQ, but it is light years better than my now retired Ifi DSD Nano....

SearchOfSub

• Restricted
« Reply #6 on: 27 Nov 2015, 02:15 pm »
I bet 99.9% of the Mojo owners would disagree with this. I've never heard the AQ, but it is light years better than my now retired Ifi DSD Nano....

hmm.. maybe I should give it a try.

kbuzz3

« Reply #7 on: 27 Nov 2015, 03:02 pm »
Read a it on this in the extensive headfi forums.  For me the question remains is how close to the Hugo does it get

ksbruce

« Reply #8 on: 29 Nov 2015, 12:52 am »
hmm.. maybe I should give it a try.
It's excellent!

roscoeiii

« Reply #9 on: 29 Nov 2015, 07:25 am »

That is a surprise. Got any more details on this?

SearchOfSub

• Restricted
« Reply #10 on: 29 Nov 2015, 10:21 am »
The guy I asked just gave me general statement saying it was only slightly better over the dragonfly and ended up returning it.

roscoeiii

« Reply #11 on: 29 Nov 2015, 06:13 pm »
The guy I asked just gave me general statement saying it was only slightly better over the dragonfly and ended up returning it.

Best DAC of the year £400-800 for What HiFi.
http://www.whathifi.com/awards/2015/dacs

Bemopti123

« Reply #12 on: 29 Nov 2015, 08:05 pm »
I have had it for about 1 week.  The sound it produces is on pair with separate class A portable amp such as the Aune B1 with more cohesion.  The DAC part is definitely better than the Meridian Explorer USB DAC Version 1 that I use to plug in to the Aune B1.  In terms of compactness and portability the Chord cannot be beaten.  Sounds almost heretic to state this but it is one of the first DACs where I can discern the difference in the way a track sounds, which is something that it difficult to do unless you spend $$$$$ for a very expensive DAC above 1K and more I should state.  The Mojo provides liquidity and a dose of excitement to all tracks I have listened through it.

The headphones I have used through it was the Beyerdynamic T1, the Beyer DT1350 MKI and the Beyer DT770 Pro 250 ohm version. 

ksbruce

« Reply #13 on: 29 Nov 2015, 09:31 pm »
I have had it for about 1 week.  The sound it produces is on pair with separate class A portable amp such as the Aune B1 with more cohesion.  The DAC part is definitely better than the Meridian Explorer USB DAC Version 1 that I use to plug in to the Aune B1.  In terms of compactness and portability the Chord cannot be beaten.  Sounds almost heretic to state this but it is one of the first DACs where I can discern the difference in the way a track sounds, which is something that it difficult to do unless you spend $$$$$ for a very expensive DAC above 1K and more I should state.  The Mojo provides liquidity and a dose of excitement to all tracks I have listened through it.

The headphones I have used through it was the Beyerdynamic T1, the Beyer DT1350 MKI and the Beyer DT770 Pro 250 ohm version.
Well put. Sounds great with my HE 560's.