Houston listening session

cytoloG35

Houston listening session
« on: 19 Oct 2014, 11:39 pm »
Jack (JAB) graciously invited me for a listening session after I contacted him on his experience at RMAF.  All, I have to say is.......WOW.  THE VR5 sounds very similar to my JR MKII but there was just so much more of it.  The weight was phenomenal and everything sounded cleaner and better.  Now, I'm not saying the JR 'S arent good, b/c I tried to get the same sense out of them when I got home but i could tell they were not in the same league.  So I just wanted to give a shout out to Jack for having me over and I hope it won't be the last.  He also had some uni 2's and I couldn't believe how much bass came out out of those.  They are small but not small in the way of bookshelf speakers.  The triple wall cabinet was dead quiet by the knuckle test.  First time I have heard that line.  Albert makes phenomenal speakers. Apparently the new 55's are going to carry on the tradition.  I'll be begging to bring over another bottle of wine to bribe you for another listening session if you get those Jack.

Todd

jimdgoulding

Re: Houston listening session
« Reply #1 on: 20 Oct 2014, 01:41 am »
Dang, I wish Jack would PM me with his contact information.  Google the Houston Audio Society at your leisure tho I think there is some problem with connecting at the present.

jab

• Esoteric Audio-Video
« Reply #2 on: 20 Oct 2014, 01:46 pm »
Todd, thx for the shout out!  I always enjoy having folks over for a listen.  Gives me a chance to rediscover my music collection and meet new friends.  I've worked with Albert for somewhere around 20yrs and have carried many, many of his models.  The VR5's were the best selling speakers for VSA but I'm forced to move up the line now and have put my 5's on AC and Audiogon.  Jim, several years ago I brought a pair of VR1's (now that's been a while!) to a HAS meeting along with a pair of small DAD100 class D amps.  Maybe, I can revisit...  Hell, if we had a fair turnout projected, maybe I could convince Albert to come in to chat with the group.  BTW, I'm using a Karan Acoustics KAS 180 amp and Memory Player from Nova Physics.   The room and set-up is less than ideal but I play the hand I've been dealt.  Jack

jimdgoulding

« Reply #3 on: 20 Oct 2014, 02:25 pm »
Thanks for the reply, Jack.  If I may visit, send me a PM.  Everybody loves my collection of vinyl some of which is rare and I'll happily bring a couple.  Got a few nicely recorded CD's, too, from the likes of the MA Recordings and Water Lily labels, etc.  Do we like classical music?