James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BDP-1USB Digital Player
« Reply #40 on: 17 Oct 2014, 12:25 am »
Hi James

Thanks!

Aha, I have 1.75 Loony whatever. Does the update work to do this? I've tried a couple of times and nothing happens.

Or do I need to get the file emailed etc to me and load it from a usb etc.

Thanks

Louis

It is a bit complicated so i will have Gary Dayton seed you instructions.  Email me at jamestanner@bryston.com

lhissink

« Reply #41 on: 20 Oct 2014, 01:37 am »
Updates applied and it works. Thanks James and Gary  :P

Ansum

« Reply #42 on: 31 Jul 2015, 12:54 pm »
I would like to know if there would be any measurable and/or perceivable difference in sound quality between playback using the BDP-1USB paired with the BDA-2 DAC using the USB interface and a BDP-2 paired with the BDA-2 using SPDIF or AES/EBU interfaces.

R. Daneel

« Reply #43 on: 31 Jul 2015, 05:54 pm »
I would like to know if there would be any measurable and/or perceivable difference in sound quality between playback using the BDP-1USB paired with the BDA-2 DAC using the USB interface and a BDP-2 paired with the BDA-2 using SPDIF or AES/EBU interfaces.

Hi!

None that I could hear. If you were using a computer connected to BDA-2 with USB, then you could hear a difference because BDP players are more silent than a computer. But direct comparisons between USB and SPDIF on both BDP-1 and BDP-2 sounded identical to me. I was expecting to hear a difference but there was none. I can only attribute that to BDA-2's excellence.

Hope this helps!
Antun

doveman

« Reply #44 on: 4 Aug 2015, 08:10 am »
Originally when I was looking to purchase my BDP the BDP-1USB had only just come out, so it was either with or without the juli@ card, I went with the latter -i.e. the original BDP-1 - believing it better to have both options, when I got my BDP I simply hooked it into my BDA-2 via AES/EBU and never touched it and it sounds great.

However with all this talk of the new audio device in the BDP-2, I decided I might try USB out to my BDA-2 and I can say that the USB and AES/EBU sound practically identical to me, I haven't done any real in depth listening across a broad range of music but they both sound great to me, I wouldn't be able to tell you which input was currently being used if I was blindfolded.

As mentioned before the BDP is nothing like a computer, I have tried multiple computers with multiple dacs via USB and optical and nothing comes close to the BDP. I've used the BDA-2 via USB and Optical to a Mac Pro and Macbook Pro and neither sound anything like the BDP even with the exact same audio files.

So I can't specifically quote the BDP-2 as I have the BDP-1, but I would be more than happy if I had USB out only, but this probably has to do with the DAC, as I've heard other dacs that can't come close to the BDA-2.

Ansum

« Reply #45 on: 5 Aug 2015, 10:30 am »
Thanks for sharing your experiences. :-) That makes it easier for me to choose between the BDP-1USB and BDP-2.

bjski

« Reply #46 on: 6 Aug 2015, 12:03 am »
I just made a similar post. I have a BDP-1 and a BDP-2 and both were connected to a BDA-2 and BDA-1. The BDA-2 was an improvement over the BDA-1 in my system. I could not tell a difference between the BDP-1 and the BDP-2 other than flexibility. Then I installed the new sound card. Wow,the background became darker,soundstage inproved, more and tighter bass along with more subtleties.

Listening to headphones I would use my Sennhieser HD800 for poorly recorded music. Now I can listen to my Audeze LCD-3 on the same material not wondering where the highs are. Yes, I'm using a BHA-1.

I do most of my listening AES/EBU. Occasionally I use SPDIF and I can't tell a difference. Haven't tried USB in about 2 years so can't help you there. I can only say the new sound card is a major improvement in my system. Good luck....