Bad...but oh so good!!

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Bad...but oh so good!!
« on: 20 Nov 2016, 06:10 pm »
My youngest son wanted to try something different for Sunday breakfast and asked if we could make "Garbage Bread".

Now on numerous late nights I had a "garbage plate" in Rochester, NY - but I wasn't quite sure what "Garbage Bread" was.

Looked up the recipe on Food Network's website (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/breakfast-garbage-bread.html?soc=socialfnvideo) and said LET'S DO IT!

Not exactly hard to do - just took some time (around 1 1/2 hrs in total).  My son did a great job helping (including rolling out the pizza dough).

Not surprisingly, it was delicious!! 

The dough was brown and crusty on the outside and light and flaky on the inside.  Of course, you can't go wrong combining eggs with cheese, sausage, bacon and tater tots!!   :thumb:

Definitely a good meal, but given the type and amount of calories it won't be an every Sunday meal.

Below are some pics.

George

stlrman

Re: Bad...but oh so good!!
« Reply #1 on: 20 Nov 2016, 07:27 pm »
Looks delicious !!!! :thumb:

mcgsxr

« Reply #2 on: 20 Nov 2016, 09:10 pm »
This has holiday breakfast written all over it!

Thanks. 

dflee

« Reply #3 on: 20 Nov 2016, 09:43 pm »
A little of that pork butt would have added to it. Looks good as is too.

LadyDog

« Reply #4 on: 21 Nov 2016, 02:43 am »
Looking good George. Meaning really good!

rodge827

« Reply #5 on: 21 Nov 2016, 12:06 pm »
Looks yummy George :drool:

Thanks for the link.

Last month we were in Philly and dropped by the Reading Terminal Market for a cupola theses bad boys...

Brisket and Pastrami Ruben 

Corned Beef and Brisket Ruben

Melt in your mouth good with a side of clogged artery!  :green:

Chris

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #6 on: 21 Nov 2016, 01:04 pm »
Wow George, that looks amazing!
I've seen images of "Bierock" (Google images of that) and have wanted to make some, but haven't gotten around to it yet.
Looks like a similar thing.
MMmmm yum.

ctviggen

« Reply #7 on: 21 Nov 2016, 01:52 pm »
Ok, there is no such thing as an artery clogging saturated fat.  When bankers from Credit Suisse looked into fat (NOTE: these are researchers who are unbeholden to anyone other than their possible investors, so they took a look at everything using fresh eyes), this is what they found:

"Eating cholesterol, for instance, has basically no impact on the level of cholesterol in the blood or on potential heart diseases, and the link between saturated fat intake and cardiovascular risk has not been proved."

https://www.credit-suisse.com/us/en/articles/articles/news-and-expertise/2015/09/en/fat-the-new-health-paradigm.html

I highly recommend reading the entire report:

https://doc.research-and-analytics.csfb.com/docView?language=ENG&source=ulg&format=PDF&document_id=1053247551&serialid=MFT6JQWS%2B4FvvuMDBUQ7v9g4cGa84/gpv8mURvaRWdQ%3D

In my opinion, they are 100% correct.  See page 33:

"One of the biggest myths in nutrition is that saturated fat intake above a certain level—say 10% based on  most  dietary  guidelines—significantly  increases your risk of heart attack. This conclusion that has held for  almost  half  a  century  is  inconsistent  with the wealth of epidemiological data or scientific evidence in the  form  of  clinical  randomized  trials.  Plenty  of research funding has been earmarked to study and back  this  hypothesis,  yet  we  cannot  find  a  single research paper written in the last ten years that supports this conclusion. On the contrary, we can find at least 20 studies that dismiss this hypothesis."

For me, the "bad" part of this "sandwich" is the wheat (causes me chest congestion/asthma, GERD) and tater tots (high starch, causes me high blood sugar, mood swings, depression; fried in oils high in Omega 6 fatty acids, which cause insulin resistance at a cellular level and are correlated with cancer, causes me GERD).  Now, I love pizza and good tater tots are sublime, but I have these as very infrequent treats.  As for the rest of the "artery clogging" meat and cheese, I live on this stuff.   And have lost 55 pounds (and counting) while DECREASING the amount of exercise I do.   Fat is filling.  Carbs are not.

I have no problem with people saying something is "bad" or "good" in food (though I doubt anyone knows for sure what is and is not bad or good and certainly genetics is important too), but I ask that you at least get things scientifically correct.