Two minute mayo

ctviggen

Two minute mayo
« on: 19 Sep 2016, 12:19 am »
If you like mayonnaise, here's a very quick way to make it with a stick blender:

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/10/two-minute-mayonnaise.html

I've used this with extra virgin olive oil, bacon fat (cut 50% with other oil), and avocado oil.  I also usually use white (wine) vinegar instead of the lemon juice (don't want to take the time to get the lemon juice).  It really does take two minutes and creates a great mayo.  (Personally, I avoid all soybean and canola oil due to their omega 6 fatty acid profiles, so I don't buy mayo from the store.)

ctviggen

Re: Two minute mayo
« Reply #1 on: 19 Sep 2016, 12:22 am »
Oh yeah, I add salt to the mixture before mixing, too.  It's too much work to add it after.

Syrah

Re: Two minute mayo
« Reply #2 on: 19 Sep 2016, 02:48 am »
I always keep in mind, 1:1:1.

One egg yolk, one teaspoon water, one teaspoon Dijon mustard.  I used to struggle before I followed this.  Heston Blumenthal did a great demo on his show about how much oil you can emulsify into one egg yolk.  Yeah, a lot.  So unless you're a caterer, I suspect my 1:1:1 will do the job.

I just use a whisk usually, because cleaning the stick blender takes that 3 minutes up to about 13 minutes.  Whisk goes in dishwasher, and done.

I whisk my 1:1:1 together, then whisk in the oil a bit at a time, but it doesn't take that long.

I use the stick blender when I'm doing a big batch.  I add whatever I need to afterward in terms of flavoring, lemon juice, vinegar, garlic, whatever.

I'm with you on the Omega 6 thing.  But, other than flax, it's tough to find a high Omega 3, low 6 oil.  What do you use?

If you want to go to the edge of insanity, try making it with a scientific homogenizer instead of a stick blender.  Suspended ultra fine droplets.  Silky and white.  Totally different.  But that's an expensive mayo!