What's a good, inexpensive, non-sticking pan?

milford3

Re: What's a good, inexpensive, non-sticking pan?
« Reply #20 on: 7 Mar 2013, 09:31 pm »
You people are the best.  Always wanted a good cast iron skillet.  Found this on EBay and bought it.  Not one but three skillets pre seasoned. :D  Now I need a good Merlot to go with my first dinner.  From Green Mountain, brand new.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #21 on: 7 Mar 2013, 09:33 pm »
Good call - cast iron is WAY better than nonstick crap.  Plus, you can sear something super hot on the stove top, then transfer it to the oven to finish cooking more slowly.  Nonstick can't really be transferred like Cast Iron can.  Hell, they were originally built to be used over campfires for the settlers, can't get more rugged/tough than that!

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #22 on: 7 Mar 2013, 09:36 pm »
And they wear like iron. :wink:

Doc

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #23 on: 7 Mar 2013, 09:38 pm »
Even though pre-seasoned, I'd go ahead and do another round of seasoning on them.  The more build-up, the better they cook.

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #24 on: 7 Mar 2013, 09:51 pm »
Good call - cast iron is WAY better than nonstick crap.  Plus, you can sear something super hot on the stove top, then transfer it to the oven to finish cooking more slowly.  Nonstick can't really be transferred like Cast Iron can.  Hell, they were originally built to be used over campfires for the settlers, can't get more rugged/tough than that!

I'm "overwhelmedly" appreciative.  Reeeally appreciate all your input, guys.   :thumb:

Photon46

« Reply #25 on: 7 Mar 2013, 09:53 pm »
Cast Iron pans have their place. They're good for browning things and they do become non-stick. There's only one problem. You shouldn't cook acidic foods in them. That leaves out cooking with wine, tomato etc., otherwise your food is apt to taste like rust.

Doc

Another problem with them is that if you have a glass top range, they are going to scratch it worse than any other kind of cookware. Our Samsung range owner's manual specifically says not to use cast iron.

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #26 on: 7 Mar 2013, 09:58 pm »
You people are the best.  Always wanted a good cast iron skillet.  Found this on EBay and bought it.  Not one but three skillets pre seasoned. :D  Now I need a good Merlot to go with my first dinner.  From Green Mountain, brand new.

Yeah, I just saw that set, Old Mountain I think.  Good deal really.  I am debating, 'cos it's a 3-set.  I only am looking for a 10" or 12" single......  Well, saw this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Lodge-Logic-L10SK3-12-Inch-Pre-Seasoned-Cast-Iron-Skillet-Fry-Pan-/151005346584?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item23289ebb18.

Pre-seasoned also.  Is this brand OK?  $26 shipped, not exactly as good a deal, but still very reasonable I'd say.

Thanks again.

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #27 on: 7 Mar 2013, 10:03 pm »
Lodge is one of the premier brands, as is Wagner, in the cast iron pan world. $26 is a very good price for that pan. I paid $40, in a fancy kitchen store, for the exact same pan.

Doc

cheap-Jack

« Reply #28 on: 8 Mar 2013, 04:07 am »
Hi.
Every kitchen should have one good non-stick fry pan. Unfortunatly it's going to cost you $100. Cheap ones are just that, cheap.

Doc

Sorry I have to totally disagree purely for health reason. The non-sticking chemical coated on the pan when heated repeated after long use can reportedly cause cancer.

The healthiest pan is thick gauge stainless steel pan, like Amway pans, which my family & me have used for decades, still look shiny & are extremely heat efficient, saving tons of money in the heating bill. No chemical coating on it, saving health & money bigtime.

c-J

Chromisdesigns

• Darla, our beach cat, contemplating the sea
    • Fine-gemstones.com
« Reply #29 on: 8 Mar 2013, 05:54 am »
I've been using cast iron for decades and have not found this to be true. If you cook acidic foods in a new cast iron skillet, it might be valid, but a well seasoned cast iron has as much as 1mm of carbon coating the bottom and sides of the skillet, and carbon is very slow to react with acid.  There is essentially no contact between the iron and the food.

Second this one.  I have cast iron that belonged to my grandmother and she, my mother, and now I cook anything / everything in them.  I make chili all the time in mine, for instance.  Good seasoning just shrugs off anything.  Wash out with hot water, dry over heat, and put away until next time.  My heritage pans are well over 100 years old now, and I am sure cook BETTER than the day they were new.

Doublej

« Reply #30 on: 29 Dec 2016, 04:25 pm »
This thread is really old. I am curious as to what the state of the art is in non sticking pans. Have ceramic coatings progressed to where there are better than whatever the latest version of teflon is called?

I was looking at Tramontina Professional pans? What do people suggest? I have no interest in cast iron.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #31 on: 29 Dec 2016, 04:35 pm »
I've been mostly happy with Green Pan: http://www.greenpan.com/en/home-1575.htm

My last GF said to treat them like cast iron, i.e. don't wash with soap and she may be right... depending on what you're cooking it can stick a bit if it's previously been washed with soap, it seems more non-stick if it's just wiped and rinsed with hot water.

It is ceramic and seems to be harder to scratch and more durable vs teflon while not quite equaling teflon in it's non-stick properties. Also, it can be heated to a point it can sear, can't do that with teflon...

S Clark

« Reply #32 on: 29 Dec 2016, 04:39 pm »

I was looking at Tramontina Professional pans? What do people suggest? I have no interest in cast iron.
When not using cast iron, Tramontina is my go to non stick pan.  They are better than grocery store pans, but cost a bit more. Understand that they are not indestructable, and the coating will get nicks and wear.  And of course, like other non sticks, you can't use high heat. 

hifi12002

« Reply #33 on: 29 Dec 2016, 07:51 pm »
We bought this All-Clad set a few months ago and have had good luck with them. For $60, we liked them enough to get a second set.  http://www.surlatable.com/product/PRO-2758415/All-Clad+HA1+Nonstick+Skillets

S Clark

« Reply #34 on: 29 Dec 2016, 08:22 pm »
That's a deal.  My Tramontinas are getting a beat beaten up, so I ordered a pair.  With the reputation of All Clad, I'm betting that the quality is better than just good. 

Folsom

« Reply #35 on: 29 Dec 2016, 08:48 pm »
A lot of people look over the warning, don't use PAM or any spray's on them. It ruins them in a hurry.

hifi12002

« Reply #36 on: 29 Dec 2016, 09:22 pm »
Hi Clark,  I hope you like the pans, they've worked out well for us so far. We haven't seen any issues using cooking sprays.....yet!

Early B.

« Reply #37 on: 29 Dec 2016, 11:08 pm »
No more non-stick pans for me. I've gone through too many in the past 25 years and replaced them with cast iron. A couple of weeks ago, I threw away an All-Clad non-stick pan. I thought it would last a lifetime, but it's no better than the rest of the brands. 

S Clark

« Reply #38 on: 29 Dec 2016, 11:23 pm »
No coated non stick pan last a lifetime, unlike cast iron which are good for multiple lifetimes.  But at $30 apiece, they only have to be a bit better than the Tramontinas that I usually buy for around $25.

Early B.

« Reply #39 on: 29 Dec 2016, 11:46 pm »
No coated non stick pan last a lifetime, unlike cast iron which are good for multiple lifetimes.  But at $30 apiece, they only have to be a bit better than the Tramontinas that I usually buy for around $25.

I got rid of non-stick because, quite frankly, I don't know what kind of materials, chemicals, potential toxins, etc. lurk in non-stick pans. I've had a few that flaked after a while. Can't imagine ingesting that stuff. At least with iron you know what you're getting. I don't use aluminum pans or cook in aluminum foil for the same reason.