Modwright oppo 105 microphonics

rbbert

Re: Modwright oppo 105 microphonics
« Reply #20 on: 27 Feb 2016, 12:10 am »
Most would say there is very little difference between the TungSol and Sylvania from that era, so you should enjoy them.  Send the Sophias back, it's worth having a good pair of them around (IMHO).  If you feel,like spending more money, have Andy look for a good pair of TungSol round (oval) plates.

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #21 on: 23 Mar 2016, 03:28 am »
Did the Tung Sols solve the problem you were having with microphonics?

jhrlrd

« Reply #22 on: 23 Mar 2016, 10:43 pm »
I don't have any Tung sols. The Ken rads are the most microphonic, ridiculous infact.
I did get a pair of MC rated Sylvanias from Andy, even they are a touch microphonic, I guess all tubes are to some degree.
 The Syls sound a bit more neutral which some may interpret as less bass or sterile.

There seems to be a developing trend where short bottles, like GTA and GTB are less microphonic. Tall ones almost always are microphonic.
The best so far for my application are RCA 6SN7-GTA, richer sounding with virtually no microphonics.

Mossback

« Reply #23 on: 28 Mar 2016, 01:28 am »
I used vintage Sylvania metal base and new Treasure 6SN7's in my Oppo 105. In both cases when the tray is operated there is a very slight noise. I have never heard anything other than that. I use four Stillpoints SS ultra under the Oppo.

Brettra2

• Genesis, Peter Gabriel, Hendrix, Pink Floyd
    • www.brettmc.com
« Reply #24 on: 9 Sep 2018, 07:22 pm »
What is an MC rated tube?

sounddog

« Reply #25 on: 9 Sep 2018, 08:48 pm »
MC stands for Moving Coil. I believe it’s Andy’s designation for his least microphonic tubes (I’m not sure if it’s an industry-wide designation or is just Andy’s designation). I’ve had great luck with Andy’s MC rated 6SN7s - I especially like the RCAs I’ve used in my LS100.