Herbie's Tube Damping Instruments are the real deal!

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
I have been using them with great effect on the rectifier and signal tubes of my Modwright Transporter (others are also quite happy with this combination) and I finally put the Ultrasonic 30's on all 10 6SN7 signal tubes (5 in each amp) on my Atma-Sphere MA-1's mono blocks.

Adding the Ultrasonic 30's was equivalent to properly calibrating a good monitor or projector - everything across the board improved and so far I can't hear any negative impacts (like I could in previous versions which used different materials).

If it makes sense, the notes last longer, yet are faster and have more texture.  The perceived volume also increased since there is a noticeable amount of new detail and clarity.

Listening to the opening guitar and piano on "Sunken Treasure" by Wilco really highlights the improvements brought about by the Ultrasonic 30's.  This song starts off with just an acoustic guitar and adds a piano.  Both instruments really sing and have a tremendous amount of texture and nuance to them.  When Jeff starts singing, his voice has a little more body and weight to it, without sounding artificial or exaggerated.  When the drums are added into the mix, they are tightly focused in the soundstage and incredibly detailed. 

For a rather modest investment ($14.25 per damping instrument for 6SN7 tubes), this is a seriously good improvement.

Steve ("Herbie") offers a 90 day money back guarantee, so there really is nothing to lose.

George

TheChairGuy

Re: Herbie's Tube Damping Instruments are the real deal!
« Reply #1 on: 27 Mar 2009, 12:36 am »
Here, here on Herbies, George.

Lotsa' good stuff in his catalog (his turntable mat is the best I have used...but have by no means used all of them out there)

Steve Herbelin is a nice fella', too...just schedule a full half hour to talk to him as he ca really gab :)

John

twitch54

« Reply #2 on: 27 Mar 2009, 01:02 am »
While I agree on their virtues I have had equally good luck with high temp silicone o-rings....50 cents.

BossaNova31

« Reply #3 on: 27 Mar 2009, 01:11 am »
I also use Herbie's Ultrasonic 30's on the 6SL7 input and 6SN7 driver tubes in my Manley monoblocks. For about $60 for a set of 4 they were certainly a very worthwhile tweak and I agree 100% with Zybar's comments.   :thumb:

Bigfish

« Reply #4 on: 27 Mar 2009, 01:16 am »
Thanks Guys:

I just placed an order for 5 UltraSonic 25's and one UltraSonic 70.  Also thanks to Ted_B for the recommendation of the UltraSonic 70 with hard pads for the EML 5U4G used in my ModWright Transporter.

Ken

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #5 on: 27 Mar 2009, 01:20 am »
Thanks Guys:

I just placed an order for 5 UltraSonic 25's and one UltraSonic 70.  Also thanks to Ted_B for the recommendation of the UltraSonic 70 with hard pads for the EML 5U4G used in my ModWright Transporter.

Ken

Ken,

None for the 6SN7's in the Modwright TP?

You definitely want to try that.

George

carusoracer

« Reply #6 on: 27 Mar 2009, 09:49 pm »
George,

Good to hear they are working out. I have been using them for about 4 years now on my Pre Amp and in My Amp. :thumb:
Now if you really want to spend some time,you can tailor the sound even more by placement on the rectifier which will be easy but also on your tubes. It is very sensitive on small signal tubes and rectifiers not sure about the big tubes that you have as I have not experimented.
Have fun :duh: 8)

rodge827

« Reply #7 on: 28 Mar 2009, 12:41 am »
Yes they are!!!

I have them all through my system.
Dac 6922's
Pre 5687's
Amp 300b's, 5AR4, and 6SN7's
They did wonders for the harmonic feedback that I was getting.

Highly recommended,

Rodge

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #8 on: 28 Mar 2009, 01:21 am »
Ken, thanks for the kudos. I didn't care for the Teflon versions earlier, but the titanium ultrasonic ones are tremendous. They are neutral and great for everything George mentioned. Size 70 for the EML and 30's for the 6SN7's are mandatory for the Modwright Transporter.

Bigfish

« Reply #9 on: 28 Mar 2009, 02:06 am »
Thanks Guys:

Ken

After placing this post last night Ted and George let me know that I need the UltraSonic 30's for the 6SN7 tubes I use in the Transporter.  Thus, I contacted Herbie and changed my order to the 30's.  Thanks again guys and I look forward to receiving them.

Ken

rydenfan

« Reply #10 on: 28 Mar 2009, 02:25 am »
Alright, enough procrastinating my me  :wink:, I guess I need to order some

jrebman

« Reply #11 on: 28 Mar 2009, 03:14 pm »
Another thumbs up for the titanium dampers.  I've been using them for over a year on various pieces of gear and they have never failed to produce positive, audible results.

Steve is also a great guy to deal with and truly stands behind his guarantee.  You just can't lose.

I'm also a big fan of the big black dots, baby booties and tenderfeet.

-- Jim

bacobits1

« Reply #12 on: 28 Mar 2009, 04:37 pm »
I use em through the whole system. They are great!
Most cost effective tube dampeners next to Silicone O rings for small tubes.
Can't fit Herbies on My Raysonic 128.

D
« Last Edit: 28 Mar 2009, 09:46 pm by bacobits1 »

low.pfile

« Reply #13 on: 28 Mar 2009, 04:46 pm »
I have a tube rectified Modright 9.0 SE Signature preamp, I should just use the dampers on the two 5687 input tubes right?
cheers, ed

hmen

« Reply #14 on: 28 Mar 2009, 05:04 pm »
I've had great results using Herbies on 6SN7's.

JoshK

« Reply #15 on: 28 Mar 2009, 05:37 pm »
Has anyone compared HTDI's dampers to plain vanilla silicon O-ring dampers?  (I've never tried either, but read some diy'ers that use the silicon o-rings).

jrebman

« Reply #16 on: 28 Mar 2009, 05:59 pm »
Josh,

I did that a bit over a month ago when I had the AN P1SE amp in for demo, and the Herbie's did a better job, especially on the driver tubes -- better, cleaner highs.  There was a tendancy for the silicone rings to change the tonality a bit, and that can work for or against you.  With the 4 TAD el84s it added just a bit of wrmth that the f120as liked.  I suppose technically the herbie's were again a bit more focused, but to my ears the f120as needed a bit of that something that the silicone ones provided.  On the other hand, the herbies on the pair of 12ax7s was clearly better.

-- Jim

TheChairGuy

« Reply #17 on: 28 Mar 2009, 06:08 pm »
Has anyone compared HTDI's dampers to plain vanilla silicon O-ring dampers?  (I've never tried either, but read some diy'ers that use the silicon o-rings).

I haven't tried Herbie's dampers to silicone O-rings....but have made mortite rope caulk top hats (dime sized hats on top of tubes and allowing the nipples to pike thru)

Frankly, they had much the same effect (and a box of mortite costs $5 and will treat about 15,000 tubes!)

That doesn't 'dampen' (pun totally intended) my enthusiasm for Herbies stuff...they work great, too.

John

TheChairGuy

« Reply #18 on: 28 Mar 2009, 07:52 pm »
Since I posted this I figured I'd taste my own 'medicine' when I realized that since a changeover to new tubes a few months ago, I didn't have Mortite or Dennis rope caulk top hats (yarmulke's?) on the current tubes.  I only have the Herbie's dampers for small signal tubes, I have not bought the larger ones for my rectifier, voltage regs and output tubes.

So, I carefully applied the mortite hats to the larger tubes in my mono amps.

POW! ZOWEY! KABOOM!...what a startling :o difference it is.  My amps did not sound bad before, but they take on all new focus and tautness (in the bass, particularly).  I probably used about US$0.20 worth of Mortite to do this :wink:

I have no idea if the Herbie's could improve upon this result (maybe they can and maybe I couldn't even decipher it on my system), but the betterment is clearly noticeable in and of itself, it took only 15 minutes and cost US$0.20. 

Life and today cannot get any sweeter...except if my Villanova Wildcats win the game in a few hours.

Sorry guys - I had to gush about it :oops:

John

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #19 on: 28 Mar 2009, 08:02 pm »
John,

Why don't you try the Mortite on your signal tubes? You would than have a  Herbies/Mortite shootout. 8)

-Roy