Finally got dream car (mostly)

*Scotty*

Re: Finally got dream car (mostly)
« Reply #100 on: 29 Jul 2016, 01:33 am »
At least it didn't stick dirtbag, oldbag or something worse. They don't call them Artificial Idiots for nothing.
Scotty

drphoto

« Reply #101 on: 29 Jul 2016, 01:34 am »
I figure If I'm lucky w/ CAI, muffler delete and an ECM reflash . I might get 10 hp or so. Might be stupid to spend the money for such low return. Still, refresh, is  supposed to let motor spin up quicker. Can't go turbo mod. That's $2500. And motor not spec's for it, so who knows about long term?

Like I said earlier, I don't want to street race. I much more prefer bombing corners, but for the sheer joy of it.

drphoto

« Reply #102 on: 29 Jul 2016, 01:35 am »
At least it didn't stick dirtbag, oldbag or something worse. They don't call them Artificial Idiots for nothing.
Scotty

:lol:

drphoto

« Reply #103 on: 29 Jul 2016, 01:36 am »
Believe me I work with enough live idiots these days!

drphoto

« Reply #104 on: 30 Jul 2016, 12:42 am »
Believe it or not, VW as manufacturer scored highest on JD Powers poll owners of favorite mid priced vehicles, despite diesel gate. Although no one model scored top spot. BMW got a lot of slots, along with Porche. I I remember correctly, GM took best subcompact (sonic), best HD pickup (sierra) best midsize pickup (colorado) and best full size SUV (suburban) Ford & Chrysler......none. Which is surprising.

Uhh, I really like the Colorado pickup. I considered it, but they are a ton of money, and there are zero used ones around. When I was considering getting serious about live sound production and getting a PA of my own, I would've needed something that could tow a trailer.
« Last Edit: 30 Jul 2016, 10:33 am by drphoto »

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #105 on: 30 Jul 2016, 01:50 am »
The new Chevy Colorado Diesel looks awesome...

drphoto

« Reply #106 on: 30 Jul 2016, 02:34 am »
Yah, It's nice but like $37K!!! :o

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #107 on: 30 Jul 2016, 05:27 am »
Yah, It's nice but like $37K!!! :o

Or more... it's way too expensive. Diesel option is $4k so it's not cheap with a gas motor either. Still an awesome truck, but I wouldn't consider it. I'd rather have a Chevy 1500 with a gas V8.

I did build a dream truck many years ago, '74 3/4 ton Chevy with a supercharged 496 big block. Bucket seats, AC, nice stereo... Beat most everything on the street in a straight line and got a respectable 9 mpg. :)

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #108 on: 30 Jul 2016, 10:33 am »
Consider an vintage one (checking for rust) since they seem to last forever.  Saw several at a recent local/small car show that were really cheap (compared to new) and easier to maintain without all the current emissions junk. 

I'm old school when it comes to pickups (new ones with A/C, leather, stereos, etc. disgust me).   :nono:

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #109 on: 30 Jul 2016, 12:16 pm »
JLM - You can scoff at AC in Michigan perhaps but if you lived out here in desert circumstances, I suspect you would have a very different opinion. Also, down here the rust free vintage truck is much easier to find.

ctviggen

« Reply #110 on: 30 Jul 2016, 12:46 pm »
Consider an vintage one (checking for rust) since they seem to last forever.  Saw several at a recent local/small car show that were really cheap (compared to new) and easier to maintain without all the current emissions junk. 

I'm old school when it comes to pickups (new ones with A/C, leather, stereos, etc. disgust me).   :nono:

We just bought two new cars, as my wife's Subaru was 10+ years old and failing rapidly, and I wanted a car to replace my VW Diesel.  We bought a Honda Pilot and a Chevy Volt.  It takes weeks to learn the systems in these cars.  Yesterday, I pressed a "tune" icon on the screen, and it took me forever to figure out how to get out of that mode.

On the other hand, the Volt is a technological marvel.  The Volt can go about 53 miles on electric, then has a gas engine to go another bunch of miles. Due to my own stupidity, I did not charge the car one night (I put the charger on the car, but did not firmly seat it, so it wasn't properly connected).  The next day, I had to use the engine, and it transferred seamlessly to the engine. I couldn't even tell it turned on the engine.  Assuming I charge nightly, as my commute is only about 36-40 miles each day, I should be electric 90+ % of the time.  And because there's no true transmission in the car, when you push on the accelerator pedal (almost called it a "gas pedal"), you go.  There's no delay, no spool up, no engine revving, no switching gears, nothing.  You just have instantaneous results.  It's also unbelievably quiet.  You hear nothing. 

drphoto

« Reply #111 on: 30 Jul 2016, 12:55 pm »
Gotta love that desert for rust free. When I was into air cooled VW type1's a long time ago (the bug) I thought about having one shipped in from the west. All here in the wet/humid east are rust buckets.

Yep, gotta have air. I think you need air in a car anywhere because of greenhouse effect. One of things that led me away from interest in the air cooled VW. Well, that and they are literally death traps. My modern VW has 8 airbags. The old one well besides none offered zero protection in a crash. But it did look cool. Moderate lower stance. All white, decrhromed, turn signals in front bumper, EMPI style wheels, disc brake conversion (in front) one piece tinted windows, hurst shifter, and a big honking motor with tucked up dual muffler headers! But in retrospect. What a piece of crap.  BTW: it was matte white, w/ black wheels, which was sort of ahead of times in 80's. No one ran that look back then. Lot of people hated, but others loved. Used to get people walking up and wanting to buy.

Rambling again, sorry......

drphoto

« Reply #112 on: 30 Jul 2016, 12:56 pm »
That Volt is also a sharp looking ride IMHO!

ctviggen

« Reply #113 on: 30 Jul 2016, 01:02 pm »
That Volt is also a sharp looking ride IMHO!

Thank you.  I think it looks a lot better than the old one, and they also made it a hatchback, which I think makes it more useful.  I happened to get mine during a 20% off sale on the 2016s, so I saved over $8,000.  I didn't have a lot of choice as to options, but that's the way it was.  Once I get more data (only had the car a week), I might post some info about the car and my likes/dislikes. 

drphoto

« Reply #114 on: 5 Aug 2016, 10:51 pm »
You know, a lot of you probably think I'm a little nuts to cite what is basically an econobox as a dream car. Well, let's put it this way. I used to hate to drive when I had SUV's and a minivan.

Now I look forward to it. No this car does not have pin you in the seat acceleration, but it corners great.....and I like that. It gets better than rated milage (if I can contain my 'enthusiastic driving) It has the cargo space to haul my photo gear, and it has some of the best front seats I've tried. The bonus is by today's standards it wan't that much money. It makes me smile every time I get in it.

So it meets my definition of dream car. Fun to drive, cheap to own, comfortable , I like the way it looks, but is the classic 'sleeper' as it's a wagon.

I am serious when I say I would not own a supercar even if I were rich. I would top out on the M3 or maybe a Boxter because they are high performance, but still sort of low profile. I think exotics,  while maybe a riot to drive, just make you look like a douche bag. Ya know......it's like hey.....look at me.

On the the other hand if I were super rich I'd have a G5, and get rated to fly it myself.  :o

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #115 on: 6 Aug 2016, 12:23 am »
If I had the money I'd have a dream fleet:

- Corvette Z06

- BMW M3, Audi RS4/5, or some other fast medium sized sedan/hatch

- Chevy Duramax Diesel 2500 pu

- Subie STI rally car

drphoto

« Reply #116 on: 7 Aug 2016, 05:46 am »
Dave, +1 on your list, but as a VW fan I'd have to go with  Golf R over the Subie. Granted the Subie is a great car, but I just hate the low rent interior.  :oops:

Plus, I don't like that Subaru dropped the option of having the hatch version. But hey, that's the US market speaking.

C7 'vette.....built here in KY. A true world class sports car that's relatively affordable. (And looks cool as hell) Look out Euro super car makers if the C8 is mid engine as rumored.

Well I've already stated opinion on M3, but obviously an Audi fan if I own a  VW.

One of my friends owns a Silverado with the Duramax diesel and it's pretty great. We could tow a 7000 lb trailer at 80mph and still get decent
 milage and a pretty comfortable ride too.

EdRo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #117 on: 7 Aug 2016, 12:09 pm »
I used to have one of these.

It never made it on the road. I traded an old Ford Ranger for it. My neighbor put a 460 Ford big block in the Ranger. I never fixed up the P1800. The underside was completely rusted. I ran across  a few of the wagon  varieties in Cali, and thought that they looked very cool!

When Ford owned Volvo I would daydream about sliding a Lincoln LS V-8 in my 1963 P-1800.

orientalexpress

« Reply #118 on: 7 Aug 2016, 01:27 pm »
One new car i Dream about is the new Ford GT  :o

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #119 on: 7 Aug 2016, 01:49 pm »