Upgrade GIK 244 ?

max190

• Home of the St. Louis Cardinals!
Upgrade GIK 244 ?
« on: 10 Dec 2011, 09:50 pm »
Gents, I am thinking about adding (1) 2" 2'x4' 703 to my 244's that straddle the corners in my 2-ch room.

My plan is to add the 703 to the back of the 244 where there is a 1.5" air gap, then cover it with some form of material that is used under couches or chairs.
Since these are not placed flat against the wall I figure the air gap is not that important.

Would this bring the 244 specs up close to the Monster trap?

Would it be better to add the 703 to the front and then just recover leaving the back air gap?

Or should I just buy the Monster's and quit being a cheap-ass?  :scratch:

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
Re: Upgrade GIK 244 ?
« Reply #1 on: 10 Dec 2011, 09:57 pm »
Either will help - though adding it to the front will work better as you're not only getting the additional thickness but also getting the leading edge farther from the hard boundary.  Just understand that the facing will be a tad more high frequency absorbing than before.

Bryan

P.S.  If you want new Monsters instead and re-purpose your 244's, we can arrange that  :wink: :thumb:

max190

• Home of the St. Louis Cardinals!
« Reply #2 on: 10 Dec 2011, 10:37 pm »
Brian, I was reading in "re space behind corner traps" and you mentioned adding insulation in that space.
Could you please give me some detail as to how / what you would do?
Thanks

DTB300

« Reply #3 on: 12 Dec 2011, 02:51 pm »
I added 5.5" thick and 2 x4 in size, acoustical cotton behind my 244's in all 4 corners.  It definitely improved the bass in my room....

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #4 on: 12 Dec 2011, 04:10 pm »
While straddling a corner is definitely going to extend how low an absorber reaches, adding additional material behind it will certainly help even more.  Just standard fluffy insulation or acoustic cotton behind will work fine. No need to compress it. 

Bryan