Boy things have changed!

topround

Boy things have changed!
« on: 8 Feb 2013, 03:38 am »
I was banned a few years ago, perhaps will be banned after this post. For some reason I am allowed on to post, perhaps an error on JohnR part. anyway I am glad to see so many posts about turntables and vinyl here on AC. My period banned was spent spinning vinyl so i was shocked to see so many posts about vinyl. When I was banned there was very little about TT's, it was mostly about the glories of Bryston gear.
Glad to see evolution in progress.

mike

Ok I am ready to be banned again.

TheChairGuy

Re: Boy things have changed!
« Reply #1 on: 8 Feb 2013, 04:04 am »
I was banned a few years ago, perhaps will be banned after this post. For some reason I am allowed on to post, perhaps an error on JohnR part. anyway I am glad to see so many posts about turntables and vinyl here on AC. My period banned was spent spinning vinyl so i was shocked to see so many posts about vinyl. When I was banned there was very little about TT's, it was mostly about the glories of Bryston gear.

mike

woodsyi/Rim convinced JohnR to grant amnesty to all but the most horrible of the banned members.....your worst error was likely being a pugnacious NY'er (as I am from birth...tho living elsewhere for 20 years has likely mellowed me a touch  :thumb:).  So, the reason you were banned was probably flimsy and you made a good case to un-ban.

There were scores of folks un-banned....I don't think a message went out to say anything of the unbanning, you just find out for yourself when you return.  A few folks once banned have returned.  Welcome back!

I took over Vinyl Circle in either 2005 or 2006.....it's been pretty busy place since.  If you look at the top busiest circles on AC, Vinyl Circle is among top 10 of all circles. 

Good to see you back - you and I dialoged several times over the years and you've been missed :)

So, come back, stick your feet up and add to the stream of vinyl consciousness going on here. It's a good ride.

John / Facilitator

sts9fan

« Reply #2 on: 8 Feb 2013, 04:18 am »
No reason to rain on someone's parade.  Being a fanboy is fun and if you find it offensive then maybe you need to think why.  Have fun and start your own parade.

Sonny

« Reply #3 on: 8 Feb 2013, 04:37 am »
Well, I for one am glad to hear that Mike is back on.  Mike's a stand up guy for sure.  I mean, who else would drive to NY and pick up a great VPI TNT for a guy who he doesn't even know in SF, CA?  Anyways, I entrusted Mike with this purchase from a far and Mike came through with flying colors!

Welcome back!

Sonny (aka Tuan)

topround

« Reply #4 on: 8 Feb 2013, 10:42 am »
Tuan/Chairguy.
Thanks for the kind words.

I will try to be a good boy but I can't promise anything, one thing that has never changed is I still  hate fanboys.
Fanboy mentality shuts out reason. That this condition exists worries me, so I will always run full charge into a fanboy battle, that is my nature.
Truth and Beauty: that is what I am after,
but enough of that, my vinyl adventure has been wild and crazy, after you get the gear you want you find all you want is new and more vinyl. That is where I am at right now, trying to get great recordings.
Fortunately I have friends that know alot about the recordings and pressings out there, so I have had a big hand in this adventure.
My friend is a turntable guru who sets up TT's with the most advanced tools, so all my setups have been great right out of the gate, which gave me an unfair advantage as a vinyl newbie.
I would like to help wirenut, but what most people don't know when they first step into vinyl is that they need great records.
My old Rock and Roll albums are shot from being played on shitty illset tables, and also most of that stuff was recorded like crap in the first place.
So a newby playing shitty old records, on a very modest TT setup(that is most likely setup incorrectly) is most likely to be discouraged.
It is when they move up to a better rig and better recordings that the love affair begins.

At least it was that way with me. Now I have between 2 and 3 thousand records and have  made friends with my local record store owner :thumb:(very important).
I take my kids to the record store! Its a lot of fun.

So I won't go after the Bryston boys anymore, but I will try to offer whatever help I can(which is limited) to the vinyl circle.

Mike

Doublej

« Reply #5 on: 8 Feb 2013, 05:37 pm »
Tuan/Chairguy.
Thanks for the kind words.

I will try to be a good boy but I can't promise anything, one thing that has never changed is I still  hate fanboys.
Fanboy mentality shuts out reason. That this condition exists worries me, so I will always run full charge into a fanboy battle, that is my nature.
but enough of that, my vinyl adventure has been wild and crazy, after you get the gear you want you find all you want is new and more vinyl. That is where I am at right now, trying to get great recordings.
Fortunately I have friends that know alot about the recordings and pressings out there, so I have had a big hand in this adventure.
My friend is a turntable guru who sets up TT's with the most advanced tools, so all my setups have been great right out of the gate, which gave me an unfair advantage as a vinyl newbie.
I would like to help wirenut, but what most people don't know when they first step into vinyl is that they need great records.
My old Rock and Roll albums are shot from being played on shitty illset tables, and also most of that stuff was recorded like crap in the first place.
So a newby playing shitty old records, on a very modest TT setup(that is most likely setup incorrectly) is most likely to be discouraged.
It is when they move up to a better rig and better recordings that the love affair begins.

At least it was that way with me. Now I have between 2 and 3 thousand records and have  made friends with my local record store owner :thumb:(very important).
I take my kids to the record store! Its a lot of fun.

So I won't go after the Bryston boys anymore, but I will try to offer whatever help I can(which is limited) to the vinyl circle.

Mike

Spoken like a true vinyl fanboy  :wink:

jimdgoulding

« Reply #6 on: 8 Feb 2013, 06:25 pm »

mike

Mike, how the hell are you??  Michael Fremer still drop by?  Glad to see you here and hope you stick around.  Now if we could just convince the powers that be to loosen Satfrat's leash it would be like old times or, rather, 'evolution in progress' as you so eloquently put it.  Clean slate, Mike, no sense looking backwards.  Onward and upward. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:.       

« Last Edit: 8 Feb 2013, 08:26 pm by jimdgoulding »

topround

« Reply #7 on: 8 Feb 2013, 09:33 pm »
Jim,
Nice to hear from you as well.
Yes Mikey and I are friends. I am having a rave next Sat at my house, he will be there.
It will be a vinyl only rave, you should stop by!
Running two arms on the Micro Seiki, one stereo, the other mono.

Mono is simply AMAZING

Mike

jimdgoulding

« Reply #8 on: 8 Feb 2013, 09:35 pm »
Thanks for the invite, Mike, and I'd love to sometime when I'm in your neck of the woods.

SET Man

« Reply #9 on: 9 Feb 2013, 02:51 am »
Spoken like a true vinyl fanboy  :wink:

Hey!

Yeah...  he is :lol:  Anyway, Mike good to see you around here again. Sound like you and your sons still spinning vinyl. That's pretty cool, most kids his age would destroy those vinyl. What's TT your son got in his room now? A continuum Caliburn?  :lol:

Anyway, good to see you here, wish we can be a nice group again here. :D Let's move on and enjoy :D

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

jimdgoulding

« Reply #10 on: 9 Feb 2013, 03:31 am »
Jim,
Nice to hear from you as well.
Yes Mikey and I are friends. I am having a rave next Sat at my house, he will be there.
It will be a vinyl only rave, you should stop by!
Running two arms on the Micro Seiki, one stereo, the other mono.

Mono is simply AMAZING

Mike
Mike, what model of Micro Seiki are you using?  I have a BL91 that I'm about to employ along with my Nottingham.   

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #11 on: 9 Feb 2013, 04:55 am »
Welcome back even though we've never met, unless you were one of the New Yorkers at Depak's place last summer. there was a guy there who was friends with Mikey.  And thanks for finally clearing up why the word fanboy has been banned from AC.  And yes, there's been a steady rise in participation on the Vinyl Circle since I came over here after similar difficulties on another site, very encouraging.  Hope you guys don't get slammed too bad by Nemo.

Nick77

« Reply #12 on: 9 Feb 2013, 11:19 am »

I hope you will share some insight into this subject. I have found my return into vinyl plagued with poorly recorded albums, in fact it has been as bad or worse than filtering out all my poorly recorded CD's. I often wonder if paying the $39+ per title of an audiophile pressing is the only way to get good albums?  :duh:

topround

« Reply #13 on: 9 Feb 2013, 12:45 pm »
Jim,
I am using two tables, a Micro Seiki BL 111 and a rx 1500FVG, my son has stopped spinning records and is into home theatre and computer audio. He loves computers.

Getting good records can be easy and difficult,. I have a few friends who are record collectors so they know what to buy. I will go to a record show with one friend, give him a budget and he picks out records for me. Some I like , some I don't , but they all sound great.
Being into vinyl is more than just azimuth and VTA, it is learning the record labels, the mastering engineers and studios and the pressing plants. It sounds like a lot but it comes pretty easy with use.

I have a few 39 dollar audio[phile rcords that I don't like, sometimes the $1 record from the garage sale is just plain better.

Go to garage sales and pick up what you can , there are always hidden gems, Ipicked up a first pressing Simon and Garfunkel for .33cents! My friend Mike picked up a $400 Who mono for $1.

Spinning vinyl has made me listen to much more music and agonize less over the gear.
Also I have always been a die hard tube guy, I guess I was trying to cover up the digital with tubes, but now SS ain't so bad. Vinyl allows you to push your system for more openess, speed and dynamics, you can really push and open without the digital glare.
Vinyl is a whole new different world with its own vocabulary, and its whole new set of gear that most people never heard of, like loading cartridges, stepups transformers, riaa curves, and the geometry that is required to setup a TT, it can be complicated, but it doesn't have to be. It's actually pretty simple once you understand what is going on.

Buddy hope you can come next SAT, still burning in a new cartridge

Mke

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #14 on: 9 Feb 2013, 01:29 pm »
Sounds like old home week around here.  Welcome back.

Mike

Given your history with records and record players, and your quest, "Truth and Beauty: that is what I am after", your attitude is understandable, as with most audiofools.  I'd like to point out that Wirenut was thoroughly enjoying his modest table, when hooked up to his "lesser" receiver.

It is my contention that a music lover, as opposed to an audiophile, can enjoy those imperfect albums even more if that modest record player is set up properly, records are clean, and the system is appropriate. I say this not in condemnation of your quest, but to offer a little perspective. That's one of the reasons many of us have multiple tables and multiple systems. Nothing wrong with truth and beauty or the quest for the holy grail, but in an ultimate sense, it's unattainable.
neo

topround

« Reply #15 on: 9 Feb 2013, 02:06 pm »
To be honest I have more goosebump moments and times that I was completely moved when I was listening to music in my car than at home.

Yesterday they were playing Sibelius Violin Concerto on WqXR, I was almost crying it was so beautiful, all that on my shitty car system.
It is about mindset too, and I agree music first, we all grew up on very modest systems and we all enjoyed music, so it doesn't take a high end system to enjoy music.
High End is about something else, something a psychiatrist could best explain :thumb:

The ultimate system or sound exists in our minds, it is very difficult, if ever, possible to attain, even with unlimited funds.
When audiophiles reach a certain level, they do not want to be called an audiophile, because it is embarrasing.

Why we try, and why we are on these forums, is a whole nuther matter. :duh:

mike