Capfest

Tomy2Tone

Re: Capfest
« Reply #40 on: 1 Sep 2015, 03:19 pm »
We used the literally unbelievable Kismet monoblocs in our room, and talked about them almost as much as our own product!
The Liquid Kismet speakers were truly impressive when we stopped by to say hi to Klaus -  some guy was just playing his Radiohead CD, and our reaction was "whoa..... " [stop...sit...listen...listen...]

Sweet!

I hope Klaus has a similar room for RMAF. Looking forward to hearing these Liquids...

DTB300

« Reply #41 on: 1 Sep 2015, 03:21 pm »
We used the literally unbelievable Kismet monoblocs in our room, and talked about them almost as much as our own product!
The Liquid Kismet speakers were truly impressive when we stopped by to say hi to Klaus -  some guy was just playing his Radiohead CD, and our reaction was "whoa..... " [stop...sit...listen...listen...]
Backert Room was very nice sounding along of course with the Odyssey Room - two rooms I really enjoyed visiting multiple times.

bunky

« Reply #42 on: 2 Sep 2015, 12:24 am »
I had a wonderful extended listening session with Klaus and Alex in the Odyssey room after dinner on Friday night that lasted for over two hours. I have had a eleven + year history with Klaus and Odyssey Audio, I told Klaus at dinner Friday night that I wanted him to build me a Kismet Stereo amplifier with a chrome faceplate. after thinking it over while spending the weekend at CAF 2015 I decided that a pair of Kismet mono blocks with chrome faceplates was what I really wanted.a Candela reference preamp with Mundorf caps and a chrome faceplate and knobs is something else that I really want but I will put that on the back burner for now. did anyone else check out the chrome faceplates that Klaus had on his gear at the CAF 2015 show?

Phil A

« Reply #43 on: 2 Sep 2015, 12:33 am »
did anyone else check out the chrome faceplates that Klaus had on his gear at the CAF 2015 show?

Yes - looked really sharp.  My Candela is black. I tend to go with black as I have some integrated AV systems and find watching a movie that silver and something with shine is distracting.  My Candela is in an audio only system (as of right now although it does have HT Bypass) and while I think the chrome looks sharper, I might find it distracting as well in the dark listening to music.  When I started with my first audio separates about 35 years back (when I was 4 years old of course :lol:), I always at silver and hated anything else and wouldn't even buy something that wasn't silver.

AlexG

• Industry Participant
« Reply #44 on: 2 Sep 2015, 02:48 pm »
We had a great time at the past CAF show...got back to Indy yesterday at 3:00AM! It was very nice to meet some of you (William, Phil) personally and  finally (it was time!)  :o Now I have a name with a face :lol:

Special thanks to Phil that help us setup Thursday well-deep into the night and Woodsyi at the end packing and carrying to the trailer  :thumb: :thumb:

Also what a great time Friday night at dinner...thank you "Señor Embajador" (Rim)  :thumb:  :thumb:

While the room overall sounded very good we had a very unique "boom" in the 180-210Hz region which I attributed to the room! Both Klaus and I concluded the room (Jefferson) was a little to big. We will get a smaller ballroom next year.

Thanks to everyone that attended, visited and spend some time with us  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Alex

AlTran

« Reply #45 on: 2 Sep 2015, 06:48 pm »
After the Newport Show, the 1st 2 weeks with the Liquid at home, I did find that not only little "boom" but a lot of booming... finally my friend & I figured it out how to get rid of the "boom". The main cause is the carpet underneath the bottom of the speakers. So far in my 22x22x9 ft room with complete kismets I did not find any "boom" at all. These LIQUID are now truly LIQUID in my room. Words cannot describe how good these LIQUID are.

reillyzing

« Reply #46 on: 2 Sep 2015, 07:05 pm »
After the Newport Show, the 1st 2 weeks with the Liquid at home, I did find that not only little "boom" but a lot of booming... finally my friend & I figured it out how to get rid of the "boom". The main cause is the carpet underneath the bottom of the speakers. So far in my 22x22x9 ft room with complete kismets I did not find any "boom" at all. These LIQUID are now truly LIQUID in my room. Words cannot describe how good these LIQUID are.

Why would carpeting effect the sound that way?
« Last Edit: 2 Sep 2015, 10:27 pm by reillyzing »

AlexG

• Industry Participant
« Reply #47 on: 2 Sep 2015, 07:09 pm »
Below are a few pictures I took this past weekend at the show!

Alex

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #48 on: 2 Sep 2015, 07:32 pm »
Very nice pics!

Just noticed the rack has the veneer trim to match the speakers...very cool.

And it appears the diffusion panels are sitting on top of some monster bass traps...I like it.

klaus@odyssey

« Reply #49 on: 2 Sep 2015, 09:33 pm »
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh,  another show in the books....here are my bullet points:

- Room...good thing, it was not Newport..bad thing ..it was wayyyy too big...as Alex said, we had another traveling frquency hump...checked out the speakers today to make sure it's not the cabinet..nope.
- Sound:  there were some really good rooms...Backert, Lou and Jim's rooms,  Vinnie's was really interesting, and I actually liked the Volti and the Tidal's...and then there was a LOT of crap.  Our room...the really, really great benefit of the large room was a soundstage 1200 feet deep and wide...holy shit it was awesome..overall very, very pleased.
- Show itself:  as always, Capfest is the most fun and most intimate of all...however, I don't like the new venue or it's location,  and attendance was wayyyyy  down..a shame, because Gary Gill is one of the coolest guys I know and he deserves a bigger success...
- People...what can I say...awesome companies.........

Summary:  Exhaustive (especially driving 1400 miles with a trailer) but fun, fun, fun...also, came out with tons of new records, an ultrasonic record cleaner, and the full whammy magnet drive / 2 arms / VPI Avenger,  which is over the top ridiculous....

klaus@odyssey

« Reply #50 on: 2 Sep 2015, 10:09 pm »
BTW...Jonathan J...you did a PEZ thing of typing like crazy...wanna share ???

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #51 on: 3 Sep 2015, 02:18 am »
BTW...Jonathan J...you did a PEZ thing of typing like crazy...wanna share ???

Ask and you shall receive. ;)  Just got done uploading to the Mid Atlantic circle.

. . . and I have to sign off for a bit to get back to the grind.   :whip:  I did not forget I owe you a phone call; just can't make it tonight.  I'll be in touch soon!