Micros available in white

Brian Bunge

« on: 20 Jun 2003, 02:26 pm »
Here are a couple of pictures of some Micros we recently built for my sister and her husband.  I think the turned out pretty good!

jackman

« Reply #1 on: 20 Jun 2003, 02:48 pm »
Those look really cool for a bedroom or as rear surrounds.  Do you think they would work as rear surrounds in a HT system?

J

Brian Bunge

« Reply #2 on: 20 Jun 2003, 03:08 pm »
Jackman,

That's exactly what this pair is being used for.  Also, we built a full 5.1 system using these and a relatively small powered 8" sub for a local customer.  The room is huge, 22' cathedral ceiling and completely open to the rest of the house, with hardwood floors and a whole wall of windows, etc. and we could get it to play loud enough that the wife was complaining from another room.  

We're also building some others for a couple of other customers.  One local customers already has L/C/R speakers and needs surrounds.  We're matching the finish to the stained trim in their room.  The other customer is purchasing a full 5.1 system using a pair of our T-1 towers, C-1 center, Micros for the rears, and a Shiva based sub.

These are excellent for a small bedroom system or for a living room system where someone would normally use something like Bose.

Here's a pic of the 5 Micros and sub that I mentioned above:

Brad

« Reply #3 on: 20 Jun 2003, 03:29 pm »
What's the price on a pair of the white ones?

Very nice! 8)

Brian Bunge

« Reply #4 on: 20 Jun 2003, 04:00 pm »
Brad,

They're the same standard price, $200/pr.

And thanks for the compliments! :)

Jay S

« Reply #5 on: 21 Jun 2003, 01:19 am »
I've got a pair of RAD Micros in cherry wood with a custom red cherry/mahogany stain on their way to me (shipped via air mail to HK on Monday).  They will go in my bedroom and will be powered by my 300B tube integrated amp.  I don't think the pictures really convey have small and compact these speakers are.  The front is just 7" x 5"!  

I don't have a sub on order (yet) but it does seem to be quite compact.  According to Brian, the dimensions are 15.5"H x 11.5"W x 14.5"D.  

I expect that the RAD Micros will be able to play quite loudly, based on my experience with another speaker with a 3" full range driver that I use as a main speaker elsewhere.  The RAD Micros should be great main speakers and will be loafing around as surrounds.  Go for it!

Brian Bunge

« Reply #6 on: 21 Jun 2003, 02:18 am »
Jay,

Actually, it's cherry/red mahogany dye!:)

Based on the pics you sent me showing your bedroom the Micros should be able to fill the room fairly well.  Well enough that that new bride of yours will probably be yelling at you to turn it down!

Again, congrats!  You have a whole week under your belt now!  :D

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #7 on: 25 Jun 2003, 12:53 pm »
Lookin' good Brian!  What type paint did you use?  I've advised potential customers to consider white or even the same paint their walls are painted so that surrounds blend in with their walls.
Nice to see you exporting to Hong Kong versus the other way around. :lol:

Brian Bunge

« Reply #8 on: 25 Jun 2003, 02:13 pm »
Thanks Hank!

Like I said, these were for my sister and she just specified white.  So we went just used some latex semi-gloss that we had on hand.  They're going to be mounted up high on the walls in their living room so matching the color too much wasn't a real issue.

Jay S

« Reply #9 on: 25 Jun 2003, 02:21 pm »
Quote from: Hank
Lookin' good Brian!  What type paint did you use?  I've advised potential customers to consider white or even the same paint their walls are painted so that surrounds blend in with their walls.
Nice to see you exporting to Hong Kong versus the other way around. :lol:

Hank,

Believe me, my little part of Hong Kong imports a lot!!  :P

Brian Bunge

« Reply #10 on: 25 Jun 2003, 02:35 pm »
Jay,

Have they arrived yet?

Jay S

« Reply #11 on: 25 Jun 2003, 03:04 pm »
Hi Brian,

Unfortunately, not yet.  I have no experience with how long regular air mail takes... I know that Global Priority takes 3-4 days and that surface mail takes 8 weeks!  I have been expectantly checking my mail box every afternoon...  I imagine the speakers should arrive in a week more, at the most.  Anyway, no worries... it is totally beyond your control and in the hands of the USPS.

Chris Desjardins

« Reply #12 on: 4 Feb 2004, 08:58 pm »
These look exactly like what I have been looking for!  I have a set of Bose AM-3's, and I hate the sound.  No life to them at all.  I need small speakers to keep my wife happy, and these seem to be a pretty good size.  

Does anyone know how they would compare to the sound of the Bose?

Also, I have the Bose wall mounting brackets right now.  Would these speakers work with them?

Lastly, is the grill white as well?  That would help keep the wife happy (and we all know how important THAT is!)

Brian Bunge

« Reply #13 on: 4 Feb 2004, 09:07 pm »
Chris,

These speakers will easily outclass the Bose, no question about it.  I'm not sure what the Bose wall brackets look like.  It's possible that they would work but I am not sure.  If you could provide me with a picture I may be able to tell.  If not, I can supply you with brackets that will work.

I don't normally build these with grills but I can if it's absolutely mandatory.  Show your wife the picture and see if she says you MUST have them.  If so, we'll take care of it for you.

If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask.  You can reach me via email at brian@rutledgeaudiodesign.com if you'd like.

Chris Desjardins

« Reply #14 on: 4 Feb 2004, 09:10 pm »
Thank you.  I'm sending you an email right now.

dayneger

« Reply #15 on: 16 Feb 2004, 10:26 pm »
Nice looking speakers!

Out of curiousity, how loud do they play as rears for HT?  It's probably deceiving, but that TB looks like it'd blow up at the first mortar shell landing behind you. . . :o

Dayne

Brian Bunge

« Reply #16 on: 17 Feb 2004, 02:31 am »
Dayne,

Well, they're definitely not designed to be played at reference levels.  No speaker this size could handle that.  But if you calibrate the system properly and have the surrounds set to Small you should be good up into the lower to mid 80dB range as long as your room isn't too big.

I can tell you that I have at least 4 semi-local customers using them as surrounds and none of them have damaged their Micros to my knowledge.