Bicycling Off-Road

Levi

Re: Bicycling Off-Road
« Reply #1060 on: 14 Jan 2013, 05:41 pm »
I have a few more tricks for my 29er bike this year.

I recently upgraded to Fox QR15.  That is a 15mm through axle instead of the quick release.  This requires a purchase of the lower legs direct from Fox Racing.  The new 2013 lower legs are lighter in weight and stiffer thus you have more control in technical conditions.  The lower legs are @$200 and change and comes with new low friction dust wipers.  Installation is easy, remove the old one and swap the new one in.  I use 20weight oil.

Left: new 2013 QR15, Right: 2012 QR.  Also note the upper brace difference this year.  Internally they are also different.

Comparison between the new QR15 (left) and QR (old). 

I9 pewter spokes!  8-)

Levi

« Reply #1061 on: 11 Feb 2013, 05:35 am »
Blizzard of 2013 in New York...  What do you do after shoveling out? 

Ren and his wife

My Lynskey Pro29er  :thumb:

jackman

« Reply #1062 on: 11 Feb 2013, 03:58 pm »
Awesome stuff!  Thank you for sharing.  It's really cool how you guys ride year round.  I am spinning on my trainer but it's torture.  Too rainy and sloppy to ride in Chicago these days and I don't have proper clothing anyway for this weather. 

I hope you keep posting these types of pictures because they are inspirational.  Good luck!

Jack

Levi

« Reply #1063 on: 11 Feb 2013, 04:49 pm »
Ha ha ha... :thumb:

We ride as long as it is not raining.  Road grime simply sucks, not only stains your nice jacket, it also bad for the drive train and bearings.

Have a nice ride!

jackman

« Reply #1064 on: 11 Feb 2013, 05:03 pm »
It's been total slop in Chicago, followed by frigid cold.  Riding on the white fluffy stuff is a blast. 

I'm really pushing my training and fitness (for real this time) and plan to cut some weight before the outside riding season.  I need to lose at least 30 lbs to be competitive with my group.  I've added weight training (whole body including legs) and hope to improve my power.  Losing weight is my biggest hurdle. 

Good luck with your riding!

Jack

JoshK

« Reply #1065 on: 13 Feb 2013, 01:52 pm »
Our weather here in Toronto has sucked most weekends, but I hit the trails with packed snow once.  It was my first ride on snow and first time riding after my accident.  Boy do I have a lot of work getting back into shape.   I was seriously winded climbing our mild long hill.  My ride was short but was happy to be out.  Plan to ride this 3-day weekend.

Levi

« Reply #1066 on: 13 Feb 2013, 02:38 pm »
Good to hear you are back riding Josh.  I am scoping to travel to Montreal for some great road ride events or maybe their Jazz Festival in July.  Only 6hrs drive door-to-door. 

Levi

« Reply #1067 on: 15 Feb 2013, 01:47 am »
Snow melting but the trails are still wet.

We just did our regular pavement ride that day.

The Globe

The Velodrome

RC Electric plane

High Tech LiPo batteries can jump start a car!

Sale!

WireNut

« Reply #1068 on: 15 Feb 2013, 03:31 am »
I'm impressed. What drives you guy's to do this?

Levi

« Reply #1069 on: 15 Feb 2013, 04:40 am »
Addiction.  Ha ha ha

I'm impressed. What drives you guy's to do this?

WireNut

« Reply #1070 on: 15 Feb 2013, 04:59 am »
Addiction.  Ha ha ha

What is it that make's you addicted? How do you feel after a ride, or even more, before a ride?

Levi

« Reply #1071 on: 15 Feb 2013, 05:15 am »
It is the feeling of "runner's high" when endorphins circulating throughout your body and the love to be outside. 

Dressing up is the worst part of going out in the cold.   :wink:

For beginners, I would say get a good helmet/clothes, a bike that fits them properly, and simply enjoy the ride.  :thumb:

WireNut

« Reply #1072 on: 15 Feb 2013, 05:27 am »
Is it to late for a 55 year old person to start biking?
« Last Edit: 15 Feb 2013, 08:17 am by WireNut »

Levi

« Reply #1073 on: 15 Feb 2013, 01:14 pm »
It all depends on your condition.  My guess would be it is not too late. Just check with your primary physician if you are ok to do exercise.  Riding is fun but it is also risky.

jackman

« Reply #1074 on: 15 Feb 2013, 01:21 pm »
As long as you don't have any severe medical conditions, you can start at any age.  Just get a bike that fits you well, pump up the tires and ride.  If you like it, you can always upgrade.  It's great to get with a group of people who are at our level and set goals regarding time and distances per week or month.

Cycling is fun and there are different types of cycling.  I enjoy road rides with my friends.   It pushes me to improve my fitness and overall strength.  Three or four hours on the bike might not be everyone's idea of fun.   Mountain biking is also fun and carries with it a totally different list of challenges.   

Whatever you choose to do, prepare to have a site butt got a few days or longer when you start out.  Soreness is to be expect.  If you get any numbness, you need a new saddle or your bike fit is off.

Good luck

Jack

PS - I know lots of 55 year olds who routinely crush younger riders on group rides. 

JoshK

« Reply #1075 on: 15 Feb 2013, 05:10 pm »
There are two different groups mountain bikers in my area that I am aware of.  The first group rides my local trail which isn't very technical but have lots of short steep ups and downs.   There are two guys in their 60's in that group and I can't keep up (then again I am pretty out of shape). 

The other group rides a set of trails where dirt is interspersed between rocks gardens to break up the monotony (read hardcore technical riding) and own season passes to our local downhill park.  There are two guys in their 50's, including the founder of the group.  These guys kill it.

Levi

« Reply #1076 on: 20 Feb 2013, 09:52 pm »
Finally after the long wait.  My new toy!   Thanks PEAK Bikes!

Get your weather in your Garmin device!

Here is my quick impressions.  It works!

Levi

« Reply #1077 on: 24 Feb 2013, 01:15 am »
Garmin also updated the mounts. Now it has a hole for the sound to pass through from the bottom.

The most fun about the new Edge 510 and 810 are the LiveTrack feature.  When a session is enabled, it sends an email to your chosen recipients and they can actually watch your progress live!

Now that was fun!

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #1078 on: 24 Feb 2013, 01:38 am »

I would think it to be a perfect time.

Rocket_Ronny

JoshK

« Reply #1079 on: 20 Apr 2013, 12:55 am »
I am so sick of this long ass winter!  I want to ride (off road)!   Our dirt is clay based which shouldn't and really can't be ridden when wet and it hasn't been nice on a weekend since Feb when I rode packed snow. 

On another note, I got my season pass to blue mountain (our version of lift access downhill biking (tame compared to most)).  Finished my DH build.