OR5 driving I2S to W4S DAC 2 DSDse

Vic

OR5 driving I2S to W4S DAC 2 DSDse
« on: 22 Aug 2013, 01:10 pm »
Is there anything new within the Wired4Sound DAC2 DSDse that would mitigate using the Off Ramp 5 driving I2S?

audioengr

Re: OR5 driving I2S to W4S DAC 2 DSDse
« Reply #1 on: 22 Aug 2013, 05:07 pm »
Is there anything new within the Wired4Sound DAC2 DSDse that would mitigate using the Off Ramp 5 driving I2S?

It should work the same as before.

Steve N.

RSB

« Reply #2 on: 23 Aug 2013, 02:53 am »
I'm using the OR5 via I2S to the W4S DAC2se.  Works perfectly just like it did before the upgrade.  I am unable to A/B the sound before and after,  but my sense is that the improvement is significant.

Randy

tiduba

« Reply #3 on: 23 Aug 2013, 11:55 pm »
Have you compared OR5 -> I2S -> W4S Dac2DSDse vs. directly connecting USB into the W4S Dac2DSDse?

trueaudiophile

« Reply #4 on: 22 Dec 2013, 12:58 am »
The OR5 and Dynamo Power Supply combination via I2S is substantially better in all areas.  I am using this rig and have done a direct A/B comparison.  The latter is the only way to go! (IMHO) :D

Thanks,

Tom P

trueaudiophile

« Reply #5 on: 22 Jan 2014, 10:24 pm »
Everything the OR5 did for the W4S dac2 in the past, it does that much more for the Dac 2 DSDse in spades!! :lol:
Best

Tom P

RSB

« Reply #6 on: 23 Jan 2014, 05:24 am »
+1.  That's really the truth.  I am just carried away by the sound to another realm tonight....

Randy

toddc2

• That dog sure loves beer
« Reply #7 on: 23 Jan 2014, 05:59 pm »
I concur. The DAC2 DSDse sounds pretty good via the USB (way better than the original DAC2). However, the DAC2 DSDse via OR5 and I2S with the PS Audio HDMI-12 is shockingly good. There really is no comparisson.

Todd

trueaudiophile

« Reply #8 on: 24 Jan 2014, 01:33 am »
Todd -

You have got to get the Revelation Audio Labs HDMI I2S cable from Steve.  I have PS-12 as well and the Revelation is defiantly better in every way.  I don't believe at this point at least it can be beat!  Great cable indeed. :D

Best,

Tom P

RSB

« Reply #9 on: 24 Jan 2014, 05:53 am »
Todd -  I have the PS Audio HDMI-12 as well.  You say the Revelation is better in every way. Can you describe that a bit?  Does it sound a touch more mellow, or have a  touch more highs/edge, have more soundstage, more bass, more PRAT, bloomier mids?  Thanks for your thoughts.

Randy

RSB

« Reply #10 on: 24 Jan 2014, 05:54 am »
Oops, I meant Tom P.

toddc2

• That dog sure loves beer
« Reply #11 on: 24 Jan 2014, 12:59 pm »
Todd -

You have got to get the Revelation Audio Labs HDMI I2S cable from Steve.  I have PS-12 as well and the Revelation is defiantly better in every way.  I don't believe at this point at least it can be beat!  Great cable indeed. :D

Best,

Tom P

Thanks Tom, I have no doubt Brad's HDMI cable is exceptional based on the performance of his dual conduit USB cable in my system. I have been swapping cables a lot lately and have finally landed on a setup that makes me want to stop playing with wires and just listen to music, so no plans to switch in the short term.

I am interested in your experience, so Please let us know your thoughts on the RAL HDMI.

Todd

drmike

« Reply #12 on: 24 Jan 2014, 03:52 pm »
I would only buy the ral cable from steve if he has them. I had problelm with my i2s cable, sent it back, never heard a word from brad. No $, no cable. He has quite a reputation for blowing people off. The cable was nice when it worked.
Just don' t send your money to brad unless your ready to wait SEVERAL months for your cable!
drmike

trueaudiophile

« Reply #13 on: 25 Jan 2014, 01:04 am »
Guys -

The cable for me had much more precise detail and placement of instruments on the stage.  The soundstage was wider as well!  Instruments were coming out of the walls.  The bass was tighter and faster as well.  I found it to be much more fast and/or precise with notes and overall timing of the music.  I also added the Dynamo Power supply which kicked everything up a couple of notches.  I hear you with Brad, I don't know what his deal is but it is really unfortunate because he really puts out a great product!( IMHO). That is why I suggested getting it from Steve N. 

Can't wait to hear the OR6, it will take DSD to another level as well!  At this point I can never see leaving the I2S connection via HDMI.  I hope this was helpful.  8)
Best,

Tom P
« Last Edit: 28 Jan 2014, 02:53 am by trueaudiophile »