2 channel preamp

cmryan21

2 channel preamp
« on: 25 Jul 2010, 02:42 am »
Hey guys, are there any two channel preamps with a built-in crossover? The only one I've been able to find is the emotiva usp1. Any help would be appreciated.

srb

Re: 2 channel preamp
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jul 2010, 03:29 am »
I assume you are talking about a crossover between subwoofer and main speakers.  Parasound has two preamplifiers, the Halo P7 and the New Classic Model 2100, that have subwoofer bass managment and home theatre bypass.

The Halo P7 has a low pass subwoofer filter that can be set to either 50Hz or 80Hz, and a high pass main speaker filter that can be set to either 50Hz or 80Hz, both through a display menu.  The P7 also has two 7.1 single-ended analog inputs, 7.1 single-ended and balanced ouputs and one pair of balanced inputs.

The Model 2100 has a variable low pass subwoofer filter adjustable from 20Hz to 140Hz via rear panel control, and a pair of high pass filtered RCA outputs that are fixed at 80Hz.

Steve

cmryan21

« Reply #2 on: 25 Jul 2010, 03:58 am »
I assume you are talking about a crossover between subwoofer and main speakers.
Yeah, sorry I should have mentioned that. :duh: I guess my initial post was pretty short on details. This is for a 2.1 setup and the mains play down to around 60hz then fall off pretty quickly so a sub is a necessity.

Parasound has two preamplifiers, the Halo P7 and the New Classic Model 2100, that have subwoofer bass managment and home theatre bypass.

The Halo P7 has a low pass subwoofer filter that can be set to either 50Hz or 80Hz, and a high pass main speaker filter that can be set to either 50Hz or 80Hz, both through a display menu.  The P7 also has two 7.1 analog inputs.

The Model 2100 has a variable low pass subwoofer filter adjustable from 20Hz to 140Hz via rear panel control, and a pair of high pass filtered RCA outputs that are fixed at 80Hz.

Steve
Fantastic. I really appreciate the help. The P7 is more than I planned on spending, but the 2100 looks like a good option. Thanks again.

dhwilkin

« Reply #3 on: 27 Jul 2010, 12:50 pm »
There is also the option of, if you find a preamp you really like without the option, asking the builder to make you a custom version with that functionality. Worst that can happen is they say no.

cmryan21

« Reply #4 on: 27 Jul 2010, 02:22 pm »
There is also the option of, if you find a preamp you really like without the option, asking the builder to make you a custom version with that functionality. Worst that can happen is they say no.
That's a good point. The other issue I'd run into is that most preamps have stereo outputs and my sub amp only has a mono input. So I'd need something to sum the channels.

Another thought, and you can tell me if this makes sense or not, I had was to put an active crossover between the preamp and my mains and sub amps. An even cheaper route would be to just add a low pass filter in front of my sub amp since my mains fall off naturally at 55hz. I suppose a component that sums a stereo output and adds a low pass filter would expand my options quite a bit. Any thoughts guys?

NekoAudio

• Industry Participant
    • Neko Audio LLC
« Reply #5 on: 27 Jul 2010, 04:12 pm »
There are a few other products with a subwoofer out and built-in crossover, like the Outlaw Audio RR2150 (which has pre-outs) and Anthem TLP-1.

Adding an active crossover might work out for you. It may also introduce sound degradation depending on its design and internals.

A passive filter is difficult to integrate because the values of its components will depend upon your speaker impedances.

cmryan21

« Reply #6 on: 27 Jul 2010, 05:17 pm »
There are a few other products with a subwoofer out and built-in crossover, like the Outlaw Audio RR2150 (which has pre-outs) and Anthem TLP-1.
I appreciate the suggestions. The Outlaw suggestion got me thinking, maybe I should consider a slightly older receiver or pre-processor. I guess it couldn't hurt to look at some.

Adding an active crossover might work out for you. It may also introduce sound degradation depending on its design and internals.

A passive filter is difficult to integrate because the values of its components will depend upon your speaker impedances.
I didn't realize either of those things. Thanks for that heads up.

Watson

« Reply #7 on: 27 Jul 2010, 06:26 pm »
Along these lines, does anyone know of a tube preamp with an active crossover for bass management?

JimJ

• Ut Prosim
« Reply #8 on: 28 Jul 2010, 09:00 pm »
Not built into the preamp, but something like this? http://www.audioxpress.com/reviews/media/AX401CH2.pdf

silver_strings

« Reply #9 on: 3 Aug 2010, 05:10 am »

chadh

« Reply #10 on: 3 Aug 2010, 12:31 pm »
Along these lines, does anyone know of a tube preamp with an active crossover for bass management?

I talked to Roger Modjeski of Music Reference about this at one stage.  The only reason I didn't pursue the idea was that I found a Music Reference active crossover at a really low price to use with an existing pre-amp, and couldn't justify the additional expense of having Roger make a combined unit.  But if you're interested, Roger would definitely be interested in building one for you.

Chad

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #11 on: 5 Aug 2010, 04:52 pm »
Check these out:

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/CX2310.aspx

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/CX3400.aspx

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/DCX2496.aspx

found it for $300:

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-ULTRADRIVE-PRO-DCX2496-Crossover?sku=182479

Don't know if this is what you're after.  I own/use a modded Behringer DEQ2496 as a DAC/DEQ and it works flawlessly.  Quality control on these inexpensive components has been found to be iffy, so buy from a reputable dealer.  Owner's manual is extremely sparse considering all the features it has.