*** PLOT TWIST*** New TV Recommendations?

rif

• Not a cowboy
Re: *** PLOT TWIST*** New TV Recommendations?
« Reply #40 on: 7 Dec 2016, 05:48 am »
I haven't seen any mention of it in this thread, but from what I've read, HDR (high dynamic range) is an important feature.  It has something to do with color depth, brightness, luminosity, I don't know.  But I do know it's more than marketing hype.  And it sounds like it's equally, if not more impactfull, than 4k alone compared to 1080p.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/12/high-dynamic-range-explained-theres-a-reason-to-finally-get-a-new-tv/

tvyankee

« Reply #41 on: 7 Dec 2016, 02:12 pm »
Hello.

This is correct. I did all the Notre Dame home home games this year in 4k and during some down time we put the camers in HDR mode and they look great. The best looking stuff i have seen video wise in 25 years of doing tv.

The one hurdle that is in the way for live tv is that none of the articals talk about is you cant mix and match 4k cams with cams in the Hdr mode. Also none of the graphics machines are really doing hdr yet. Any thing you are seeing is being done in post.

We can talk more about it if anyone likes.

Peace

It is very complex right now and will be a awhile becore live stuff starts happening in hdr. But it does look great.

ctviggen

« Reply #42 on: 7 Dec 2016, 02:27 pm »
My 50 inch plasma is finally starting to go, and has one column of a blue line. I'm thinking of getting this OL ED TV:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CDF9S1G/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=15LWHGA04FA5N&coliid=I2VMKGOLVAJD0U&psc=1

It's awfully expensive though. If you search for this TV you will find glowing reviews of it. Not sure I want to spend double or triple the cost of an LED TV, however. And the reviews say there's not much 4K out there. I also have the unusual situation of needing about 35 feet of HDMI cable, which I've already installed from my receiver through the basement back into the living room. At the time I bought a very good HDMI cable, but I do not know if it meets the current standards. So, if I want to watch 4K, I might have to invest in new cables.

I'll have to see what my wife thinks.

bummrush

« Reply #43 on: 7 Dec 2016, 04:12 pm »
Pulled the plug on a 55 in Samsung  led,after deciding to go new and stay away from Craigslist.  So far so good. After basically. 10 yrs of great service from a Hitachi  42 in plasma.  What i didnt realize is that 55 in is one big tv.Paid a little over 4 for it.I dont know if its last word in conectivity, its good enough for now.While i watch my fair share of tv,i could never drop over a thousandon a tv.For what i paid im happy.

ctviggen

« Reply #44 on: 7 Dec 2016, 06:14 pm »
Pulled the plug on a 55 in Samsung  led,after deciding to go new and stay away from Craigslist.  So far so good. After basically. 10 yrs of great service from a Hitachi  42 in plasma.  What i didnt realize is that 55 in is one big tv.Paid a little over 4 for it.I dont know if its last word in conectivity, its good enough for now.While i watch my fair share of tv,i could never drop over a thousandon a tv.For what i paid im happy.

I remember when I got a 55 inch TV – I thought it was huge. After a while, it seems small. 10 years out of a plasma is good. Mine has lasted me less than three years.  I think I spent four or 500 for the plasma. So, it will be difficult paying four times that much for the OLED, when there's nothing to watch on it. That's why think it's always better to wait. Two years from now, this TV will be half price. I could buy a $500 LED and probably be just as happy. However, I like black levels in the plasma had a lot of that.  LED TVs do not.

audioguy213

« Reply #45 on: 7 Dec 2016, 07:52 pm »
My 50 inch plasma is finally starting to go, and has one column of a blue line. I'm thinking of getting this OL ED TV:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CDF9S1G/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=15LWHGA04FA5N&coliid=I2VMKGOLVAJD0U&psc=1

It's awfully expensive though. If you search for this TV you will find glowing reviews of it. Not sure I want to spend double or triple the cost of an LED TV, however. And the reviews say there's not much 4K out there. I also have the unusual situation of needing about 35 feet of HDMI cable, which I've already installed from my receiver through the basement back into the living room. At the time I bought a very good HDMI cable, but I do not know if it meets the current standards. So, if I want to watch 4K, I might have to invest in new cables.

I'll have to see what my wife thinks.

YEs that is the right TV,
the LG Series 6, B model,

last week it was $1300 cheaper,
next week it will be again,
shoot for the 65 inch for $1999 and be happy for ten years with it.

Monoprice for video cables,
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=13760

bummrush

« Reply #46 on: 7 Dec 2016, 08:18 pm »
I'll always have a soft spot for that hitachi plasma. It developed a turn on problem for like last 3,4 yrs of its life. But i had a work around i was able to deal with..It had a killer pic,that i will miss,irregardless of what anyone says of todays tvs

ctviggen

« Reply #47 on: 7 Dec 2016, 08:24 pm »
YEs that is the right TV,
the LG Series 6, B model,

last week it was $1300 cheaper,
next week it will be again,
shoot for the 65 inch for $1999 and be happy for ten years with it.

Monoprice for video cables,
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=13760

Where was it on sale?

There is no freaking way my wife will let me buy the 65 inch. No way. I repeat no way. Not because of the cost, but because of the size. Not to mention that she's right – 65 inches would overwhelm our living room and physically would not fit where the other TV is now.

I used blue Jean cables, which are excellent cables and quite expensive. I just do not know whether three-year-old cables support 4K.

Don_S

« Reply #48 on: 7 Dec 2016, 08:52 pm »
Where was it on sale?

There is no freaking way my wife will let me buy the 65 inch. No way. I repeat no way. Not because of the cost, but because of the size. Not to mention that she's right – 65 inches would overwhelm our living room and physically would not fit where the other TV is now.

I used blue Jean cables, which are excellent cables and quite expensive. I just do not know whether three-year-old cables support 4K.

Ask Blue Jeans Cables if the cables you have will support the 4K standard.  They strike me as a company where you can get an honest answer about technical specifications.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #49 on: 8 Dec 2016, 12:35 am »
Where was it on sale?

Go big Bob!!

I can't imagine going with smaller than a 65"!

Here is a picture of a 65" Panny plasma in the living room:

George

audioguy213

« Reply #50 on: 8 Dec 2016, 07:02 pm »
http://www.abesofmaine.com/LG_Signature_B6_Series_OLED65B6P_-_65_OLED_Smart_TV_1029964.html
$2200 free shipping, no tax.

Listen, you are not hearing what we are repeatedly saying

Your "old" 50 inch plasma had dimensions like this (these are from my 50" Pioneer plasma which I replaced):
3.7 x 48.5 x 30.5 inches

the 65" OLED is like this
57.1 in
Depth1.9 in
Height33 in

While the SCREEN is 70% larger, the actual FOOTPRINT is NOT.

Plasma have several inches of bezel on all sides, OLED does not.

An OLED is SIGNIFICANTLY thinner, lighter, and has NO BORDER - even the 65" plasma shown above by Zybar MUCH larger than an OLED set of the same screen size- look at that black border about 3" on all sides, that is not there with OLED

The cost of the cables doesn't mean anything, it is the available bandwidth.
Try them and see if they carry a 4K signal over that length, if you must replace them, use something cheaper next time.

brother love

« Reply #51 on: 8 Dec 2016, 08:24 pm »
audioguy213,

I'd be very interested to hear your comparison of 65" LG OLED vs 50" Pio plasma. Do/ did you have the same viewing distance for both displays?

I still have a 50" 1080p Pio plasma that I sit 7.5 ft. away from the front face that is integrated into my near field 2 channel audio system.

I always found this screen size/ viewing distance/ resolution chart to hold true: http://carltonbale.com/1080p-does-matter/

Many people sit so far away from their displays, that they don't gain the full benefits of the better resolution.

audioguy213

« Reply #52 on: 8 Dec 2016, 09:14 pm »
those charts are showing visual acuity - like how small on the eye chart you could read,
as a determinant of what you can "see"

but I could show a standard home video from 1980 on a TV 10 feet away,
next to Blu Ray 1080p, or UDH 4K content and the fact that you are 10 feet away would not matter, you could tell the difference in the quality of the source material, which is, in effect, telling you about the pixels you start with

So your chart would say "no difference" at 10 feet, but you would be able to tell quite clearly,

See what I mean?

Or like flip from HD to SD TV - sit ten feet away- you can tell .

The OLED TV has 4K capability, give sports two years and you will have major events in that,
Blue Ray 1080p will go to 4K, etc.
once they digital master with more resolution, these TVs will reveal that,
they also have better color gamut, better black levels.

So, it blows the 50" Kuro plasma away, and I waited 10 years for something better, because LCD sucks.

Now, image size - I find it depends on what oyu are watching.  Some action movies they pan and shake so much that they ONLY look right on a 120" screen IMO.  They look WAY better on a $600 projector than on a $60000 TV.

Any TV can look terrible with the facotry settings for motion and judder, they look soap operay and terrible (as do all TVs in stores).
once you calibrate them, or have them ISF calibrated, they all look WAY more natural-
I switched inputs by accident and started playing the new start trek on my lovely TV and almost got sick it looked so terrible - like every bad TV in a store or other people's houses.  Reason - didnt have my calibration settings applied.

65" is the new "Standard" for a display with 4K resolution, they are lighter, thinner and sleeker than ever, now that the price is $2200 (this was $6,000 and WORTH IT a year ago folks) - it is a no brainer.

In ap erfect world, I would have this on the wall for wifey and daytime watching, but I would have a projector (sub $2000) doing 1080p for movies with an electric screen that came down to cover the front wall.

You have not enjoyed your HT if you have not used a FP, there is ZERO comparison to even a 80" TV and a 10'+ projected image.

Don_S

« Reply #53 on: 8 Dec 2016, 09:28 pm »
I looked at one 49" Samsung LED TV that was 14% smaller in surface area than my 10-year old 46" Sharp.  Part of the size difference was the bezels and the remainder was the speaker strip across the bottom on the Sharp.  The new LED had down-firing speakers.  OLEDs are even smaller in surface area per a given screen size.

But 65" is too large for my area despite the lack of bezels.  Has anyone seen OLEDs in the 50-55" range?  I desperately need trickle down.

audioguy213

« Reply #54 on: 8 Dec 2016, 11:31 pm »
55" OLEDs look great too
they are not going to make panels smaller than that, as they are already down to $1500

http://www.abesofmaine.com/LG_Signature_B6_Series_OLED55B6P_-_55_OLED_Smart_TV_-_4K_UltraHD_1029778.html

Don_S

« Reply #55 on: 9 Dec 2016, 01:20 am »
55" OLEDs look great too
they are not going to make panels smaller than that, as they are already down to $1500

http://www.abesofmaine.com/LG_Signature_B6_Series_OLED55B6P_-_55_OLED_Smart_TV_-_4K_UltraHD_1029778.html

Well, that's funny because my local Fry's has it on sale ($2297) for only $300 more than what Abe's claims is the MSRP.   :roll:

http://www.frys.com/product/8726931?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

I am not in a hurry.  I am curious what new models will be introduced at CES.  Tis the season.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #56 on: 9 Dec 2016, 01:48 pm »
Everything audioguy is saying is the truth & worth paying attention to. Buy the set you want now : playing the waiting game because of videonervosa is pointless. These b series lg oleds are amazing and now fabulously cheap. Same b series 65 I sold only a few months ago was $3800. They ain't gonna get much cheaper - all the margin is gone. We could only have dreamed of this when we all bought our last sets. This is the maximum sweet spot delta now. Lg was crazy to drop prices this soon - they were only competing against themselves.

Don_S

« Reply #57 on: 9 Dec 2016, 03:26 pm »
Everything audioguy is saying is the truth & worth paying attention to. Buy the set you want now : playing the waiting game because of videonervosa is pointless. These b series lg oleds are amazing and now fabulously cheap. Same b series 65 I sold only a few months ago was $3800. They ain't gonna get much cheaper - all the margin is gone. We could only have dreamed of this when we all bought our last sets. This is the maximum sweet spot delta now. Lg was crazy to drop prices this soon - they were only competing against themselves.

Remember that new models will probably get introduced at CES.  It is typical for prices to drop on models being phased out. I can't guarantee this is the case here but it is something to keep in mind.  My deal is I refuse to get rid of my current TV until it shows some signs of failing.  I only have an antenna and occasionally watch a Blu-ray. I am not a fanatic about picture quality.  I just like the appearance of TVs without bezels and that also allows me the maximum screen size with the minimum physical size.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #58 on: 9 Dec 2016, 03:28 pm »
Yeah, way too much nervosa over tv's here guys. :lol: They change as fast as cell phones so don't worry about getting the latest tech and not having it be replaced in a year - not gonna happen.

The LG OLEDs are now going to see competition from the new Z series from Sony. They look like the same picture now so this should get interesting. Either way, I wanted a 75 inch and no one offers OLED quality in 75 for under a zillion dollars. The 75 inch Sony I just bought is the second TV I purchased this year. I went cheap and got the 55 Samsung UHD for the living room from Costco for around $2 grand in January. Decent tv but this Sony just blows it away for lifelike colors and detail on both DirecTv and movies. I kick myself for not going SOny on the 55.

The new Sony Z series 65 inch is $5500 right now. The 75 inch I bought was $6k in Jan and now is listed at $5k and is on sale at many places for $4k now because the Z series is taking over. But I was not going to pay $1500 more for a smaller tv even if it was a superior picture. I was fortunate enough to see my tv and the new 65 inch Z series side by side at Best Buy and the Z is everything OLEDs are. So if you keep holding on they will be lower next year.... or you could keep waiting.... :nono:

I love, love, love that new Sony. Amazing picture on DirecTv and on 4K movies it is breathtaking.

And that chart above makes me laugh. I would have to sit 5 feet away to see the benefits of 4K on a 75 inch screen? No frickin way. I can see that from 25 feet away in an instant as audioguy points out. If you can't then don't buy anything! Those charts are worthless.

I am in no way a videophile but one thing I learned from reading countless reviews is that Sony, Samsung, LG make the tv's to buy. Forget all the rest these days. I love my 10+ year old Toshiba 42 inch unit at 6 inches thick and 100 lbs but it is collecting dust today. And I feel sory for all you guys clinging to plasma. Move on! :duh:

Have some fun, go buy a UHD and a $200 Samsung K8500 4K player and some $20 4K movies and you will be glued to the set over the holidays. Very cool. I'm stocking up on some now. Not waiting for 8K...

Have fun guys. Don't sweat it.

A 4K shot with my crappy little camera.

My makeshift basement HT makes the 75 inch look small. Dolby Atmos!

brother love

« Reply #59 on: 9 Dec 2016, 05:24 pm »
Since you guys enjoyed the chart in my previous post so much ...

Here is another source (THX): When does 4k matter?

"... if your viewing distance is 10 feet or greater, an Ultra HD 50-inch display will likely have little perceived benefit in terms of image clarity and sharpness – which can be attributed directly to the increase in pixel count."

http://www.thx.com/test-bench-blog/when-does-4k-matter/

You guys are funny (& super defensive).  :lol:  If you can easily see a difference between tv resolutions at longer distances than those listed by the chart I referenced, then more power to you!