Jeff Rowland Design Group === Daemon integrated amplifier

Wind Chaser

Re: Jeff Rowland Design Group === Daemon integrated amplifier
« Reply #20 on: 22 May 2015, 12:32 am »
Problem is, no one wants a one box solution...

Really? Some people are drawn into the elegance of simplicity, which in of itself has inherent advantages compared to the soup kitchen audio approach. No doubt in time something will eventually comes along that is regarded as being better. Nonetheless it will stand the test of time and always be regarded as an uber high performance statement product. If I had the cash for this thing, I'd buy it in a heart beat.

*Scotty*

« Reply #21 on: 22 May 2015, 01:35 am »
I am afraid I would have to hear it first and compare it to similar products before I would consider it. I admit to being enough of an audiophile that the sound quality comes first and the looks second or a distant third. With the constant evolution that takes place in the digital realm I wouldn't want to sink that much money into a one box solution without the ability to pull the circuit board or boards that comprise the DAC and USB interface and upgrade them as better technology becomes available.
 I do like the fact that it appears to have a ladder DAC in it. If they have used a stereo chip for each channel and summed its output to mono they could probably achieve 21 bits of resolution which is as good as any DAC  currently in use regardless of internal architecture or the number of internal bits it operates at (ie,32bit).
Scotty

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #22 on: 22 May 2015, 01:39 am »
Can anyone here say confidently that this new Rowland integrated will not outperform what they currently own?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #23 on: 22 May 2015, 02:18 am »
Can anyone here say confidently that this new Rowland integrated will not outperform what they currently own?

I can confidently say I'll never have it in my system to find out.

*Scotty*

« Reply #24 on: 22 May 2015, 02:39 am »
Of course not, that is why it has to be auditioned in your own system before purchasing.
Speaking for myself, I don't assume anything is a slam dunk in this hobby. There have been entirely too many cases of the Emperor's new clothes.
 Excepting footers,ICs and power-cords as a means of optimizing the sound of the Daemon in your system, you had better like the totality of what it sounds like. A good bonus is that a phono stage module is an option.
Scotty

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #25 on: 22 May 2015, 03:12 am »
Scott - I have to confess that I am more than slightly familiar with the Rowland sound, having owned maybe 15 - 20 pieces of his gear over the years. In fact, I used to own Rowland Research 2080 amplifiers with serial # 1 & 2. In about 1979 Jeff built me a battery powered preamp with both moving coil and strain gauge phono boards. Later I owned a Consonance preamp, a pair of Model Sixes, Concentra One, Concentra Two, Concerto preamp with 201 monos, Capri preamp with 102 amp and a power conditioner whose name I've forgotten. In fact, I still have a Rowland strain gauge component that no longer has a power supply because that was sold off with the line stage. I'm sure there were numerous others I'm not recalling right now. Best of all was the current Continuum S2.
Rowland products run on any current worldwide and combine with just about any other manufactured product amicably. Read about them. Transformer coupled inputs and outputs and sealed aluminum chassis help greatly with that compatibility.
So, if ever I can bring myself to hang that much money out there, I would feel very confident about buying the Daemon without hearing it. I don't think there is anything in Rowland sound to disappoint. There have been comments occasionally about modest depth and breadth to the soundstage but nothing else comes to mind. That solid aluminum chassis is awfully reassuring. When you connect and disconnect, there is zero deflection in the rear panel. That sense of craftsmanship, of care and solidity, is priceless.

ACHiPo

« Reply #26 on: 22 May 2015, 03:18 am »
I can confidently say I'll never have it in my system to find out.
Tyson,
I was right there with you, then clicked on the link....oooooohhhhh prettyyyyyyy! :roll:

Now that I've seen it and read the specs, all I can say is never say never.  8)

In another 15 years maybe I can afford the used one (if it has phono--just sayin')

AC

*Scotty*

« Reply #27 on: 22 May 2015, 03:33 am »
When Rowland went away from innovative circuit designs using discrete devices, to input transformer coupling of op-amps for gain stages and again to a transformer to go out the door, I did not see this as an advancement. Although it certainly could have saved some bench development time. The use of transformer coupling for line level or lower audio signals can contribute to a diminished sound-stage among other things. Hysteresis distortion of the signal by the by the transformers is inescapable. 
Admittedly, I have been an outsider looking in for as long as the company has been in existence.
Scotty

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #28 on: 22 May 2015, 04:41 am »
Problem is, no one wants a one box solution.  What happens when you want to upgrade some part of it down the road?  Unless they are doing it completely modularly like the LIO from Vinnie Rossi, then it's gonna be a losing platform, eventually.  It's a $35k lifestyle product - hahaha.
Shocking but true.
The basic prob w/expensive amps are in the is very factory that manufactured it, in a few years the manufacturer will launch a new model, more modern, more updated, more beautiful, more glamorous etc

Then the equipment will depreciate a lot, usually there is no buyer for this type of used amp, who would buy an amp with three years of use for $20 or 25,000?

Early B.

« Reply #29 on: 22 May 2015, 04:57 am »
Shocking but true.
The basic prob w/expensive amps are in the is very factory that manufactured it, in a few years the manufacturer will launch a new model, more modern, more updated, more beautiful, more glamorous etc

Then the equipment will depreciate a lot, usually there is no buyer for this type of used amp, who would buy an amp with three years of use for $20 or 25,000?

Those who can afford to purchase this amp aren't concerned about re-sale value. 

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #30 on: 22 May 2015, 05:00 am »
So why buy integrated all in one box, a second class solution?

Early B.

« Reply #31 on: 22 May 2015, 05:16 am »
So why buy integrated all in one box, a second class solution?

If I had the money, I'd strongly consider it. Makes things simple -- fewer components, interconnects, power cords, etc. A second class solution? That's presumptuous. 

Wind Chaser

« Reply #32 on: 22 May 2015, 05:29 am »
A second class solution? That's presumptuous.

Not to mention arrogant and ignorant. :roll:

Wind Chaser

« Reply #33 on: 22 May 2015, 05:33 am »

Also people who buy statement products have other reasons beyond the ken and priorities of the common man.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #34 on: 22 May 2015, 11:55 am »
Tyson,
I was right there with you, then clicked on the link....oooooohhhhh prettyyyyyyy! :roll:

Now that I've seen it and read the specs, all I can say is never say never.  8)

In another 15 years maybe I can afford the used one (if it has phono--just sayin')

AC
For all of the Rowland integrateds I have owned and most of the preamps, the phono card is an easily installed add on that can be purchased after the fact, even by secondary owners. It's quite good too. For my Continuum S2 it was a $350 option.

groovybassist

« Reply #35 on: 22 May 2015, 12:04 pm »
macrojack:

As a fellow Continuum S2 owner, just curious what speakers you're running with your amp?  My gear is tucked away in a small bedroom right now, so I use Trenner & Friedl Art monitors.  Hoping I get to use something beefier in the future and am always interested in what other folks are using.

-Mike

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #36 on: 22 May 2015, 01:37 pm »
My speakers will be nearly impossible to duplicate. I have large wooden horns mounted on top of 5 cubic foot ported cabinets with 15 inch woofers. I'd be happy to provide more detail if you are interested in reading more but the guide and creator of these speakers is Bill Woods who has been put under contract by Jonathan Weiss of Oswald Mill Audio and is thereby forbidden to discuss audio matters with anyone - not even with former customers like me. There are fewer than a dozen pairs of these horns on earth outside of OMA or Cogent so the opportunity to duplicate my speakers would be very iffy. The closest thing OMA offers goes for $65,000/pair.
On the other hand, I can tell you that the Continuum S2 played very nicely with highly efficient horns. It was dead silent even with my head inside the horn, and human voice was the most realistic I have ever heard other than coming directly from a human mouth. Dynamics, of course, were hair raising. Budget and space are always the issue with horns though. The footprint of my speakers is about 24 inches square.

groovybassist

« Reply #37 on: 22 May 2015, 04:11 pm »
macrojack:

Very cool.  I've never tried high efficiency speakers - maybe some day.

-Mike

geowak

« Reply #38 on: 22 May 2015, 04:15 pm »
Have only seen one article on JRDG products in hifi mags. Does anyone lnow the reason? Are thet better than all the other products? Worse? Or are they not advertising enought for the mags?

groovybassist

« Reply #39 on: 22 May 2015, 04:30 pm »
No clue.  There's reviews out there, some mags, some online. 

In terms of quality, I can only speak for myself.  I like integrated amps and have had integrateds from Naim, LFD, Aaron, Line Magnetic and some I can't even remember, and without question, the Continuum S2 is the best of them.  It's not just the sound, which eclipses the others, the level of engineering, fit and finish is far above any of the other amps I've owned.

-Mike