BP-2 Preamp Question

William D. Lester

BP-2 Preamp Question
« on: 11 Jul 2017, 08:28 pm »
At present I use a Sumiko Blackbird MC cartridge which is paired with a MM Phono Stage (ProJect Tube Box S). I am considering replacing it with a Bryston Phono Stage. My choices are the onboard stage with my 135sst2 integrated amp or the newer separate PS-3 Power Supply and BP2 preamp. If I purchase the BP2 as an MM only at this point, can it be upgraded at a later date if I should ever change to a cartridge requiring a MC preamp? Would there be a noticeable difference in sound quality between the onboard or separate preamp considering they are the same component other than the separate power supply?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BP-2 Preamp Question
« Reply #1 on: 11 Jul 2017, 09:35 pm »
Hi William

Yes the BP-2 can have the MC section added later - the B135 can not.

The sound would be the same on MM.

james

Christo22

« Reply #2 on: 6 Aug 2017, 04:26 pm »
James,

Would you buy a BP26&MPS2 with an external BP2 MM/MC or you would go with an all inclusive new BP17cubed (with your pre-order deal that includes a Phono Stage)?

I need the MC with my BP1 and its cartridge... please confirm that a MC Phono stage can be added inboard the new BP17cubed and not just a MM.

What you think?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #3 on: 6 Aug 2017, 10:22 pm »
James,

Would you buy a BP26&MPS2 with an external BP2 MM/MC or you would go with an all inclusive new BP17cubed (with your pre-order deal that includes a Phono Stage)?

I need the MC with my BP1 and its cartridge... please confirm that a MC Phono stage can be added inboard the new BP17cubed and not just a MM.

What you think?

Hi

No the BP-17 Cubed is limited to a MM phono stage.  You would have to use the TF2 MC with it.

james

Christo22

« Reply #4 on: 7 Aug 2017, 02:06 pm »
Thanks James.
I'll go BP26/MPS2 with he BP-2 that I already have.