BCD3 drive quality.

rmurray

BCD3 drive quality.
« on: 6 Jul 2017, 05:26 pm »
 After so much to do about  cd  drives that are poorly made and short lived ( Phillips) I see the one chosen for the new bcd3 player from Stream Unlimited looks  like a better made unit. Bronze bearings and metal rails wow, nice  ...like a Harley  :thumb:  I hope to get the new player but I still want a spare drive.... James any word on how to  do that / Mike still hasn't answered. Thanks. :?

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
Re: BCD3 drive quality.
« Reply #1 on: 6 Jul 2017, 05:36 pm »
 Yes  hopefully  this drive is more reliable ..... :P

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #2 on: 6 Jul 2017, 07:29 pm »
There is no evidence that the Phillips drive is "short-lived".
Mine has lasted 5+ years with no end in sight.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #3 on: 6 Jul 2017, 07:33 pm »
After so much to do about  cd  drives that are poorly made and short lived ( Phillips) I see the one chosen for the new bcd3 player from Stream Unlimited looks  like a better made unit. Bronze bearings and metal rails wow, nice  ...like a Harley  :thumb:  I hope to get the new player but I still want a spare drive.... James any word on how to  do that / Mike still hasn't answered. Thanks. :?

Hi

Mike said he got back to you today.

james

redbook

« Reply #4 on: 6 Jul 2017, 08:42 pm »
Yes he did ....thanks again James... :thumb:

redbook

« Reply #5 on: 6 Jul 2017, 08:43 pm »
There is no evidence that the Phillips drive is "short-lived".
Mine has lasted 5+ years with no end in sight.
Not the case with some I have read about... anyway there should be an alternative that would work  because the  BCD1 is a great  machine for sure.   By the way , how many hours do you think you have on yours ? :thumb:

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #6 on: 6 Jul 2017, 11:59 pm »
Not the case with some I have read about...   By the way , how many hours do you think you have on yours ? :thumb:

5+ years now. Haven't really kept count (who does heh).
Crude estimate? Avg 6 hr/wk, 52 x 6 = 310/yr, roughly 1800 hrs total.
No signs of clanking, skipping, or croaking, so far.  :thumb: :P :D :rock:

rob80b

« Reply #7 on: 7 Jul 2017, 11:45 am »
5+ years now. ...........

Wish I could say the same... :oops:  believe I'm looking at 9 years ??? and a few yours a day.... :)
Mine’s been pulling a number on me for years ..…lol…
With the recent error affliction and unable to eject a disc I called Mike but this time with the lid off so I can describe (see) what’s happening. :scratch: And of course as soon as Mike was on the phone the BCD-1 behaved perfectly, no erratic behavior and has been behaving properly since...:jester:…..virtual repairs?  :roll:
Regardless Mike was very understanding and if the problem does arise... again..... Bryston will be there to ameliorate any issues…so they got my back.  :thumb:

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #8 on: 7 Jul 2017, 04:35 pm »
@rob80, how's your HD700/800 sounding these days out of BHA-1? Does it do BCD full justice (transparent 100%)?

redbook

« Reply #9 on: 7 Jul 2017, 10:35 pm »
5+ years now. Haven't really kept count (who does heh).
Crude estimate? Avg 6 hr/wk, 52 x 6 = 310/yr, roughly 1800 hrs total.
  Good to hear. It's that I get  worried and "bummed out" about things not being fixable due to a supplier not providing parts. My BCD1 is great but if something goes  I'm left with a player that I love but can't use....Perhaps going with a BOT and individual BDA and BDP would be wiser so I could always change the transport if it jammed up or has laser failure... :scratch:

rob80b

« Reply #10 on: 8 Jul 2017, 11:26 am »
@rob80, how's your HD700/800 sounding these days out of BHA-1? Does it do BCD full justice (transparent 100%)?

Slightly OT…but the Bryston combo powering the 800S does a fine job IMHO and just seems to get better, the 700s are now gone and I’m revisiting the HD650s like for the 3rd or 4th time…lol..the combo also did a stellar job on some AKG K812s I had on loan.
Definitely curious to hear the BCD-3 but as long as the BCD-1 behaves itself I’m a happy camper.   :thumb:

redbook

« Reply #11 on: 8 Jul 2017, 08:14 pm »
Slightly OT…but the Bryston combo powering the 800S does a fine job IMHO and just seems to get better, the 700s are now gone and I’m revisiting the HD650s like for the 3rd or 4th time…lol..the combo also did a stellar job on some AKG K812s I had on loan.
Definitely curious to hear the BCD-3 but as long as the BCD-1 behaves itself I’m a happy camper.   :thumb:
  Yes my BCD1 is working well and sounds  just stellar ....but I may trade it in just to  buy more time before the drive does do something strange  :lol:....Still debating  to go to the seperate route and  get a BDA, BOT, and BDP units.... :don't know yet, what do you think ?

rmurray

« Reply #12 on: 11 Jul 2017, 07:27 pm »
This will cost you more but perhaps there's some advantages ...like you would get upsampling  and be able to  add a different transport if the BOT fails....I like the idea,,,,got me thinking :scratch: :thumb: