New, the Fet Valve 600R and 400R hybrid amplfiers

JP78

Re: New, the Fet Valve 600R and 400R hybrid amplfiers
« Reply #60 on: 17 Sep 2011, 07:18 am »
We switched all our chassis to use standard IEC power sockets and supply standard three conductor 16 gauge AC power cords simply because we decided that our "Custer's Last Stand" for rationality was costing us sales.

I can't hear any difference at all, we simpy ate the tooling costs to make the products more acceptable to those that absolutely must use their own better sounding power cable.  It did not raise the cost, did nothing much bad, and so far has done not much good to improve sales.  The IEC socket is definitely not available as a retrofit., circuit upgrades yes, dingleberry upgrades no

However, those that would never consider our equipment under any circumstances will now have to find a different excuse.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

Why not send this piece of info (and perhaps another review sample) to that Dagogo.com reviewer? I remember clearly that he really liked the amplifier but was convinced the lack of IEC held it back. Why not send over this information, give the reviewer some "credit", and allow yourself a well-deserved exceptional review?

festuss

« Reply #61 on: 20 Sep 2011, 01:11 am »
Of course you heard how much better a power cord sounds!  you wanted  to, you did.  Did you know the COLOR of the plastic affects the sound also...keep digging for the best sounding ACl line cord!  If I put a good sounding power cord on my computer, what happens?

dlparker

• Dave Parker - KC, MO
    • DontKnowNuthinBoutNoComputers
« Reply #62 on: 20 Sep 2011, 01:17 am »
Of course you heard how much better a power cord sounds!  you wanted  to, you did.  Did you know the COLOR of the plastic affects the sound also...keep digging for the best sounding ACl line cord!  If I put a good sounding power cord on my computer, what happens?

Yes.  Now that the IEC power cord feature is available, I've learned that my blue power cord for listening to blues was totally unnecessary once I started listening to AVA equipment.  And "Yellow Submarine", "Orange Blossom Special"..  I could go on, but why bother.

So much music, so little time.

guest1632

« Reply #63 on: 20 Sep 2011, 10:02 am »
The Fet Valve 600R Hybrid Amplifier  $2949
The Fet Valve 400R Hybrid Amplifier  $2549

Presenting the new AVA Fet Valve R series amplifiers, available in two models, the Fet Valve 600R (300 watts per channel) and the Fet Valve 400R (200 watts per channel).

Both offer absolutely unique engineering accomplishments; active analog regulated power supplies for each section of each channel.  There are active 12V heater supplies for each tube, active 275V and 200V regulators for each plate of each tube and for the mos-fet drivers, and finally (and an audio engineering first we believe) active analog regulated power supplies for each power mos-fet output circuit, ten high speed analog high current regulated power supplies in all. No switching supplies or associated RFI noise at all.

You have never heard before, at any price, the astonishing musical quality and control our engineering has now achieved.  We offer simply astonishing bass range, control, and dynamics, open, layered, and emotional mid-range, and a top end that never stops, with no trace of glare, grain, or grit.  Your speakers and your ears will never be happier.

Both amplifiers sound identical, you save $400 if you choose the Fet Valve 400R, if all you need is a very strong 200 watts per channel. The newest Exicon “double-die” power mos-fets are standard on both new Fet Valve R models.

Both amps use two ECC81/12AT7 tubes.

All new AVA products now include IEC power sockets and a ground lift switch to eliminate ground loop hum in complex systems.

All previous generation AVA hybrid amplifiers built in our large amplifier chassis can be upgraded to an equivalent Fet Valve 400R or 600R amplifier. (300 or 350 series to 400R, 500 or 550 series to 600R).  The upgrade price is $1500.

The upgrade includes new audio boards, new small signal multiple regulated power supply board, new ground plain - high current regulated power supply boards, and new double die Exicon mos-fets as required.  The upgrade also includes a new 3 year parts and labor warranty.

The 600R amplifier was driving Jim Salk's SoundScape 10 speakers at the recent California Audio Show  when Stereophile rated our room as having "the best bass at the show."  Of course the mids and highs were just as good.

These new amplifiers are spectacular!  Call us for more details.  651-330-9871

Best regards,

Frank Van Alstine

Hi Frank,

Is any of the circuitry gonna find its way down to the lesser expensive amps? Those would be a real killer then.

Ray Bronk

gjs_cds

« Reply #64 on: 22 Sep 2011, 07:32 pm »
Hi Frank,

Is any of the circuitry gonna find its way down to the lesser expensive amps? Those would be a real killer then.

Ray Bronk

If it would, then that amp wouldn't end up being lesser expensive, would it?  (In a previous post, Frank detailed the amount of man-hours needed to build a 400R/600R...  I seem to recall 40 hours per amp?)

mark funk

« Reply #65 on: 22 Sep 2011, 07:58 pm »
If I recall, Frank said more like 20 to 25 hours per.

:smoke:

martyo

« Reply #66 on: 22 Sep 2011, 09:23 pm »
I am training another skilled tech to build these amps right now.  It looks like about 20+ hours of skilled time for either a new amp or an upgrade.  This means the price won't be able to stay where it is for very long as we get a better handle on the labor costs.

8)

NIGHTFALL1970

« Reply #67 on: 2 Nov 2011, 09:07 pm »
Anyone who is considering upgrading an AVA 350 to the 400R and is wondering if it is worth doing, it certainly is.  I notice that bass is tighter,  vocals are fuller and sound more life-like, and guitar sounds more "real".  I compared "stairway to heaven" from LED ZEPPELIN IV (Definitive Collection) on both versions of the amp.  Robert Plant sounded like he was in the room.  The solo at the end by Page sounded brite and shrill on the old version.  After the upgrade, the solo was smooth but not TOO smooth.  It sounded more like you would expect a guitar to sound like.

Next I wanted to try a good but poorly recorded album BLACK SABBATH "Born Again" (2011 Sanctuary Records Remaster).  The bass is muddy and the album is very "Noisy".  Iommi's guitar solo at the end of "Trashed" can kill a chicken!  After the upgrade the bass is tighter and more defined.  Iommi's solo is still brite,  but nowhere near as bad.  Ian Gillan's vocals sound MUCH better and life-like.  If this upgrade will make this album sound better than it ever has,  then imagine how nice STEELY DAN's "AJA" will sound.  If you are undecided about the upgrade, I highly recommend it.

PS:
My system consists of:
AVA Fet Valve 400R amp
AVA T8+ pre-amp
AVA Ultra 2 DAC
MAGNEPAN 1.7 speakers
Blue Jeans Cable and IC

-NIGHTFALL1970

tonyptony

« Reply #68 on: 3 Nov 2011, 12:43 am »
Nightfall, how is the high end space and extension? Does it sound balanced with the rest of the range? More present? Less present?

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #69 on: 3 Nov 2011, 12:50 am »
Nightfall is describing the amp just as I heard it.  Tony, the high end extension is excellent, much better than the out going Fet Valve amp.  The sound of the amp is very coherent from top to bottom.

playntheblues

• D-Sonic, Mola Mola TamBagui, Tekton DISE
« Reply #70 on: 3 Nov 2011, 03:06 am »
Come on Frank lets's have a demo tour for the 600, pretty please

avahifi

« Reply #71 on: 3 Nov 2011, 02:33 pm »
A demo tour will have to wait until we fill a couple dozen back orders for 400R and 600R amps.  We are training new assemblers, but the amps, either new or rebuilds, take about 25 hours of skilled build time each and our lead times are out 6-8 weeks right now.  Also we have four different reviewers that want samples right now.

They have even got me back to the workbench a lot more than at the computer.  People are simply blown away by these new amplifiers.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

playntheblues

« Reply #72 on: 3 Nov 2011, 02:41 pm »
So what you're saying is, maybe in a year or so?   :sad:  Congrats on the new design Frank, I love to see folks doing well especially in this economy.
Kind Regards,
Guy

briang

« Reply #73 on: 3 Nov 2011, 03:41 pm »
Frank,

Have you had any requests to review the new Pre and/or Dac?

Thanks,

NIGHTFALL1970

« Reply #74 on: 3 Nov 2011, 10:05 pm »
Tony,
I think that I.Greyhound Fan answered your question better than I could.  The highs are not harsh, brite or glaring.  They are smooth and easy on the ears, but not too rolled off to eliminate all the dynamics.  The amp does not sound like a "bass machine" either.  I want to clarify something from my last post that both albums were CDs.
Also, that I was using my 1990 Sony x55 ES CD player at the time and did not have Franks Ultra 2 DAC yet.  I don't want people to think that that "influenced" the sound any.  After the upgrade all instruments sounded "clearer" and more defined.  Things became more 3 dimensional.

PS:my CD player is a Cambridge Audio Sonata
TT is a REGA P1 with Audio-Technica AT-95 cart

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #75 on: 4 Nov 2011, 03:46 am »
Frank, I would love to review the new Preamp and Dac!  Drop me an email or PM.

Larry

plaf26

« Reply #76 on: 7 Nov 2011, 10:40 pm »
One Fet Valve 400R--coming soon to a living room near me!

It's here. 

Oh.  My.  Goodness! 

Have only had a few minutes to listen, but already, what a difference!  I say this every time I upgrade at AVA, but it's another layer of fog between the listener and the music removed.  Again am hearing more stuff I don't remember hearing before, even on a 55 year old mono LP! 

Frank asked me to start out without my subwoof on as I might never need it again.  I need more time to decide on that, but I'll say this: I'm hearing a lot more bass right now from my Maggie MMG's than I have a right to expect.

As always, Frank and his staff were most kind and helpful.  Homerun, AVA, thank you so much!!   :beer: More later.

mark funk

« Reply #77 on: 10 Apr 2012, 09:50 pm »
I was just looking at the AVA site, and is that right? The new amps only have 8 double die output MOSFETs?  Or is that a typeo?

:smoke:

avahifi

« Reply #78 on: 10 Apr 2012, 09:59 pm »
Hey Mark, that is the same as 16 standard die devices.  We built these amps for years with 8 standard devices with no problems at all.

One location on each heat sink section is required for a big TO-3 case double die mos-fet output transistor needed for the regulator circuits.  The regulator transistors don't work hard at all.  At full line voltage there is very little current across them, at clipping, at maximum current draw, there is very little voltage across them.  The system works great.

Frank

playntheblues

« Reply #79 on: 11 Apr 2012, 01:19 pm »
Frank, demo tour of the 600R pretty please  :drool: