New, the Fet Valve 600R and 400R hybrid amplfiers

festuss

Re: New, the Fet Valve 600R and 400R hybrid amplfiers
« Reply #20 on: 12 Aug 2011, 12:54 pm »
Our experience with Mc's that where $6K where smoked by AVA/Hafler P500 rebuilds  2 Mc's running mono versus 2 P500 mono through Ultra Hybrid phase inverter, each P500 is around 1200-1400 W RMS using the great AVA Ultra phase inverter. He sold the Mc's went AVA!  Sold his Focal Utopias which where smoked by Legacy Whisper...Whisper 1/4 price of the extremely grossly overpriced under performing Focals. Sonic blis is Legacy and AVA, with money left over for music to play on them. The Mc's look cool all blue and all, sonically they ain't got it. Sorry.  Do a side by side comparison like we did, Mc's loose so did Focals compared to a used set of Whispers he bought and sold his focals.  Performance is found for less with the right stuff

Minn Mark

« Reply #21 on: 12 Aug 2011, 01:14 pm »
Can I ask how much does the output increase as the impedence drops? I have 4 ohm Maggies, so do I approach 400 watts per side with the 400 R?
Great looking new products.

Mark

avahifi

« Reply #22 on: 12 Aug 2011, 02:47 pm »
Hi Minn Mark,  The power will go up into lower impedance loads, should nearly double into 4 ohms, but I have not tested for that in the real world.

You are welcome to take a demo amp home for the weekend and try it for yourself.

Regards,

Frank

rllrll

« Reply #23 on: 12 Aug 2011, 04:10 pm »
I'm considering a used McIntosh Mc352 or Mc402 with a C46 or C48 Pre-amp to replace my Emotiva gear for later this year. I thought the McIntosh 2-ch system at the 2010 Ak-Fest was one of the best sounding systems at the show, but I believe it was over 40K. If I can get 90% of what I heard with used Mac equipment I would be happy. Any way, if anyone can compare the new Fet Valve 400R/600R to a McIntosh Mc352 /Mc402/ Mc302 amp it would be appreciated and save me a few dollars. Right now one down side to the Mac is the weight, over 100+ pounds. Boxing and shipping for service if ever required would be tough on my bad back.   

Thank you,
RLL   

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #24 on: 12 Aug 2011, 04:21 pm »
I'm considering a used McIntosh Mc352 or Mc402 with a C46 or C48 Pre-amp to replace my Emotiva gear for later this year. I thought the McIntosh 2-ch system at the 2010 Ak-Fest was one of the best sounding systems at the show, but I believe it was over 40K. If I can get 90% of what I heard with used Mac equipment I would be happy. Any way, if anyone can compare the new Fet Valve 400R/600R to a McIntosh Mc352 /Mc402/ Mc302 amp it would be appreciated and save me a few dollars. Right now one down side to the Mac is the weight, over 100+ pounds. Boxing and shipping for service if ever required would be tough on my bad back.   

Thank you,
RLL

AVA does have a 30 trial period.  I'm hoping that Frank will do a tour with an amp.  I'd be very interested in that.   :thumb:

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #25 on: 14 Aug 2011, 02:06 am »
Ok, its all set.  I am going to pick up the amp on friday and I will post a review over the weekend.  I have a feeling that Frank  is going to have to deal with my angry wife when I tell her I want to sell my Parasound and buy a new amp! :tempted:

festuss

« Reply #26 on: 18 Aug 2011, 12:04 am »
Parasound costs how much made where?  AVA smokes em

festuss

« Reply #27 on: 18 Aug 2011, 12:12 am »
OK, OK, here are some pictures.......

:thumb:
Modeled after a Dyna 410 of years gone by?  Not the ckts but the chassis?  Ever think of making a MONSTER amp like say 1kW pc?  Massive transformers, lotsa output devices? 12ga line cord, with AVA imprinted on it, call it a magic wire!

srb

« Reply #28 on: 18 Aug 2011, 01:15 am »
Parasound costs how much made where?  AVA smokes em

What specific Parasound models have you personally compared to specific AVA models?

Steve

festuss

« Reply #29 on: 18 Aug 2011, 12:50 pm »
 :cry: typical response.  Don't recall since they where underwhelming.  But the price was shocking.

kip_

« Reply #30 on: 18 Aug 2011, 06:17 pm »
:cry: typical response.  Don't recall since they where underwhelming.  But the price was shocking.

I don't think he was trying to insinuate that your comparison was invalid; he was just trying to compare apples to apples.

jackman

« Reply #31 on: 18 Aug 2011, 07:38 pm »
I can't wait to hear this amp!  I owned an AVA Fetvalve a few years ago and regret selling it.  I sold it because I went to  an active system and could not afford another one for the required 4 channels of amplification.  I've sinced switched to a system that only requires 2 channels of amplification and look forward hearing  the AVA. 

I've never heard a Parasound amp that sounds as good as Frank's top of the line. 

Frank's workmanship is first rate.  The AVA gear is utilitarian, solid and great sounding.  Congrats on the new addition to the line.

J

MaxCast

« Reply #32 on: 18 Aug 2011, 07:50 pm »
Amp tour??   :eyebrows:

9-18-11??   :eyebrows:

~600watts into 4ohms??    :eyebrows:

srb

« Reply #33 on: 18 Aug 2011, 08:01 pm »
I don't think he was trying to insinuate that your comparison was invalid; he was just trying to compare apples to apples.

I was interested in specific comparisons and what areas might be lacking in the Parasound as I was briefly looking at an A21 among other amplifiers including several AVA models, but I do also believe the "comparison" is invalid as well.

To know that festuss has apparently heard several unknown Parasound models ("they") somewhere in a system other than his own, and that they were, in non-specific audio terms, "underwhelming", isn't all that helpful.

To say that the AVA "smokes em" (or "blows their doors off", "leaves 'em in the dust" or "kicks 'em to the curb") is not so much of comparison, but more of a blind brand loyalty statement and quick dismissal of other products.

As far as pricing, I don't see the A21 (next to the top of the line JC1 monoblocks in the Halo series) with 250W/ch @ 8 ohms and 400W/ch @ 4 ohms at an MSRP of $2299 as being particularly all that "shocking".

I do understand that this is the AVA circle and the topic is about the release of the two new 400R and 600R amplifier models, but since at least one Parasound user was going to replace a Parasound A21 amp with a new AVA 400R and another AVA user was so quick to trash any Parasound model, I was curious as to what sonic improvements the AVA might bring to the table.

Oh well.

Steve
« Last Edit: 19 Aug 2011, 03:07 am by srb »

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #34 on: 19 Aug 2011, 12:05 am »
Don't dis the parasound A21, it performs well above its price point.  It is extremely dynamic with tight deep, fast bass and has a neutral sound with good clarity and resolution.  I bought mine new for $1850!  It's high current with 60 peak amps, has true balanced XLR inputs and gain controls for each channel. It does not even get warm when I play it at loud volumes for 2 to 3 hours at a time driving my Maggie 1.6's.  It matched better in my system than the old 550 which I liked very much.  I think that the new AVA R series amps are a big step up in sound and are a real bargain.  I have no doubt that they will sound better than my Parasound.  The main draw back of the A21 is that it has a little grain and the top end can be a little hot.  The 400R is smoother, sounds more natural, musical and detailed from what I can tell.  I will know more when I do an in home audition.

jackman

« Reply #35 on: 19 Aug 2011, 12:18 am »
Don't dis the parasound A21, it performs well above its price point.  It is extremely dynamic with tight deep, fast bass and has a neutral sound with good clarity and resolution.  I bought mine new for $1850!  It's high current with 60 peak amps, has true balanced XLR inputs and gain controls for each channel. It does not even get warm when I play it at loud volumes for 2 to 3 hours at a time driving my Maggie 1.6's.  It matched better in my system than the old 550 which I liked very much.  I think that the new AVA R series amps are a big step up in sound and are a real bargain.  I have no doubt that they will sound better than my Parasound.  The main draw back of the A21 is that it has a little grain and the top end can be a little hot.  The 400R is smoother, sounds more natural, musical and detailed from what I can tell.  I will know more when I do an in home audition.

I was not a fan of the 550 with Maggies.  I brought mine to a friend's house and tried it with his Maggie 1.6's and I liked his Coda Continium better than my 550 with the Maggies.  I think I liked the AVA better on my system at the time, Ellis 1801 speakers.  I'm not going to make any friends with this statement but I think some amps sound better with certain speakers.  This is the only comparison I've ever done with AVA and Magnepan speakers.  Not sure they are the best match but it could have been another factor or maybe a matter of my subjective opinion and personal bias. 

festuss

« Reply #36 on: 19 Aug 2011, 12:27 am »
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PAHA21
Slow, limited range, a slew rate of how slow, come on this thing is a slug.  Damping factor is really that high, or a typo?  Made where, by people that get paid how much?  Looks very crowded inside.

srb

« Reply #37 on: 19 Aug 2011, 12:34 am »
The main draw back of the A21 is that it has a little grain and the top end can be a little hot.  The 400R is smoother, sounds more natural, musical and detailed from what I can tell.  I will know more when I do an in home audition.

Thank you.  Hope it meets your expectations and beyond and looking forward to your evaluation.

Steve

Shear Bliss

« Reply #38 on: 19 Aug 2011, 01:34 am »
Holy Smokes its the same amp as my 1990-91 edition of the Fet-Valve 500, which I purchased from Frank, as his daughter was bringing it home from school in Montana. Was supposed to be bench tested before it was shipped off to me. Recall getting it UPS a day or two later. The amp never did sound correct to these ears, and I should"ve sent it back for repair or refund, my bad. After I sold it and moved on, the guy who bought it said he sent it in to get checked out and it was found to be way out of spec. Repaired and he was pleased. But this was supposed to be done for me, instead of boxed an shipped out. AVA lost a customer in me after that. Now I know sometimes things happen, and I dont hold grudges, I"m just stateing facts. Onto the new amp, C"mon guys, with all the open realstate inside I would"ve liked to see the Heatsinks/boards on either side, freeing up the rear panel to allow simple access. That rear heat sink is just a pain to navigate around period. I found this site as I go into the VMPS circle, own the RM-1s. Also have Salk Loudspeakers one county over in Oakland County, MI. ... An American Audiophile who prefers American made audio!

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #39 on: 19 Aug 2011, 03:02 am »
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PAHA21
Slow, limited range, a slew rate of how slow, come on this thing is a slug.  Damping factor is really that high, or a typo?  Made where, by people that get paid how much?  Looks very crowded inside.

I don't want to turn this into a Parasound forum so I can PM you and we can talk about the specs.   I posted here because I was able to audition the 400R which I liked very much and feel is a very special amp.  I am sorry that I even brought up my Parasound but all I was trying to say is that I was impressed enough with the 400R that I would consider buying one to replace the Parasound.  Oh and one last comment about the Parasound Feestus, the slew rate and dampening factor on the A21 is faster and higher than a Bryston 14B SST which cost thousands of dollars more.  The higher the number the faster the amp!  It does not mean that the A21 sounds better than a 14B SST!