AVA Ultravalve, TAS Product of the Year 2010 Award!

turkey

Re: AVA Ultravalve, TAS Product of the Year 2010 Award!
« Reply #20 on: 7 Dec 2010, 06:22 pm »
Me puking > :drool:

I cringe everytime I hear those speakers.  I've yet to hear them (any Wilson) and think they were nice.  Just horrible!

That sums it up pretty well.

But I'm sure he'll tell us that we just haven't heard them setup properly, or with the right amps, or at the right phase of the moon.

Getting back to the topic of the thread...

Congrats Frank, I'm glad you're getting good press.

jhm731

« Reply #21 on: 7 Dec 2010, 06:31 pm »
That sums it up pretty well.

But I'm sure he'll tell us that we just haven't heard them setup properly, or with the right amps, or at the right phase of the moon.

You're both entitled to your opinion.

Have a nice day. 8)

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #22 on: 7 Dec 2010, 06:31 pm »
Yahoo!

Congratulations Frank!!

This makes my Ultravalve sound even better than before !!  :thumb:

Its a sweet amp, and its really, really GOOD!!

All the best
Alex

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #23 on: 7 Dec 2010, 06:36 pm »
You're both entitled to your opinion.

I'm pretty sure that TONEPUB doesn't like them too and he's heard and owned many high dollar speakers.  Oh and I'm sure he can get a nice discount but yet still no Wilson speakers in his room.  Says something to me...

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #24 on: 7 Dec 2010, 06:57 pm »
Me puking > :drool:

I cringe everytime I hear those speakers.  I've yet to hear them (any Wilson) and think they were nice.  Just horrible!

A friend has the Sashas and I think he has a very nice sounding system.

In my opinion, you can debate whether the Sahsa's are a good value or worth their cost, but I do believe that it is a high performing and good sounding speaker.

George

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #25 on: 7 Dec 2010, 07:00 pm »
I'm pretty sure that TONEPUB doesn't like them too and he's heard and owned many high dollar speakers.  Oh and I'm sure he can get a nice discount but yet still no Wilson speakers in his room.  Says something to me...

Sure, it says he doesn't like them.

Well, I do (at least the Sasha's and Sophia 2's).

Personally, I don't think they are worth what they cost, but if I take that out of the equation, I certainly wouldn't say they are bad sounding speakers - in fact, I would say they sound pretty darn good.

Back to your regularly scheduled broadcast...

George

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #26 on: 7 Dec 2010, 07:09 pm »
Hot flash, our amazing Ultravalve purist vacuum tube amplifier was just rated a "Product of the Year 2010" by The Absolute Sound in the now mailing issue 209, January 20111.

We are in there with more highly favorable comments, among the $10,000 and up crowd.

Not too shabby for so called "mid-fi" equipment.

Note too that our 15% off sale continues until January 15th, so the cost for a new Ultravalve right now is just $1444.15 plus $40 shipping.

Best regards,

Frank Van Alstine

Congratulations. 

P.S.  Any reason for the delay in publication?  I don't think I can wait till 20111.  8)

trebejo

« Reply #27 on: 7 Dec 2010, 07:35 pm »
Note too that our 15% off sale continues until January 15th, so the cost for a new Ultravalve right now is just $1444.15 plus $40 shipping.

When you factor in the 30-day satisfaction-guarantee warranty (to take care of concerns about too few watts), and the ability to talk to the designer/builder/CEO before and after, this has to be one of the very very very best deals in the history of hifi, midfi or whatever you want to call it.

Congratulations Frank and crew! All I can say is that I really really really like my U70. My first tube amp, I think I did alright.  :thumb:

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #28 on: 7 Dec 2010, 07:54 pm »
A friend has the Sashas and I think he has a very nice sounding system.

In my opinion, you can debate whether the Sahsa's are a good value or worth their cost, but I do believe that it is a high performing and good sounding speaker.

George

Cost aside I'll take any Vandy over a Wilson anyday.  As a 5a owner, I'm shocked that you would even think a Wilson sounds good.  The 5a's are pretty darn awesome!

Minn Mark

« Reply #29 on: 7 Dec 2010, 09:43 pm »
Congratulations, Frank ! :thumb:

Mark

mark funk

« Reply #30 on: 7 Dec 2010, 10:05 pm »
Ya, not bad for mid-fi  :lol:.

:smoke:

pjchappy

« Reply #31 on: 7 Dec 2010, 10:26 pm »
Let's stay on topic, folks.

Paul

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #32 on: 8 Dec 2010, 07:44 pm »
Let's stay on topic, folks.

Paul

BRILLIANT!!!!!

charles

Listens2tubes

« Reply #33 on: 9 Dec 2010, 01:34 am »
 :notworthy: This is long deserved by AVA. :thumb: Now send them a T8+ with Insight phonostage to really knock their socks off.

Get ready to build some Ultravalves in 2011! :beer:

avahifi

« Reply #34 on: 11 Dec 2010, 08:15 pm »
An interesting thing about our TAS Product of the Year award, we share one page with another vacuum tube amplifier of slightly less rated power and we got the bigger photo and more space.

The other amplifier costs about $140,000!  The Ultravalve costs about $1700.  What is TAS trying to tell you?

Remember that an Ultravalve is only $1444.15 while our holiday sale is going on until January 15th.

I wonder if the other amp company offers a satisfaction guarantee as we do?

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

Brett Buck

« Reply #35 on: 11 Dec 2010, 09:04 pm »
The other amplifier costs about $140,000!  The Ultravalve costs about $1700.  What is TAS trying to tell you?

I would interpret it as saying a factor of 100 doesn't buy you anything better. But that's just me.

Brett

turkey

« Reply #36 on: 14 Dec 2010, 05:20 pm »

I wonder if the other amp company offers a satisfaction guarantee as we do?

Yes, they guarantee that they're satisfied (for at least the next 30 days) to be selling an amp for $140K.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #37 on: 14 Dec 2010, 05:23 pm »
...and the consumer that spends $140k on that amp would never purchase your no matter what the sound is. 

turkey

« Reply #38 on: 14 Dec 2010, 05:55 pm »
...and the consumer that spends $140k on that amp would never purchase your no matter what the sound is.

There's the special Max UltraValve FVA Edition. It's $141K, has a gold-plated chassis and transformer end bells, and is signed by Frank with a special imported marking pen. Frank comes to your house and installs it, makes sure it's operating properly, and rolls you some tubes. (Only in certain states, and requires a doctor's prescription.) (You can can also select the FVA Signature Bong if you prefer. It's made by hand out of a Dyna Mk III.)

Listens2tubes

« Reply #39 on: 15 Dec 2010, 02:16 am »
My (last) Jan issue arrived finally. :D Glad to go out with a bang. Will be carrying this one around for a while. :thumb: I really only enjoy TAS when AVA is recognized for it's genius and value. So I'll be back to cherry picking whenever Frank lets us know there'll be something worth reading. 8)