« Reply #20 on: 25 Jun 2009, 05:34 pm »
 :wink:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: A Morning Smile Please
« Reply #21 on: 25 Jun 2009, 06:26 pm »
In the mid 90's Bryston was the distributor for PMC Loudspeakers in the USA.  Myself and one of the best guys I ever had the pleasure of working with in this business 'Adrian Loader' from PMC were in LA on a sales trip.

We were demoing the small 2-way LB1 loudspeaker at a very influential Professional Audio Dealer attempting to get them to take on PMC speakers for the LA area.  The store owner listened intently for about 15 minutes and said no thanks 'the speaker is pretty good but it has a big hole in the midrange - sorry no sale.'

Attempting to salvage the sale we said we would bring over the big guys (MB1's huge 3-way) for him to audition two days hence since they were currently being used at Todd AO (a major film scoring studio in LA). The store owner said great,  'is there any chance I could hear them at Todd AO rather than drag them into the store?'. We said sure - so next morning we picked him up and off we went to Todd AO.

We arrived and they were doing the film score for the Jim Carrey movie Liar Liar. On the huge soundstage they had the full LA Philharmonic Orchestra all set up to be recorded. The store owner asked if we could go onto the soundstage and listen to the orchestra close up and personal. So myself, Adrian and the store owner are sitting there about 10 feet from the conductor and the orchestra is playing at full blast.  About 5 minutes into the recording Adrian turns to the store owner and says 'it's really good but there's a big hole in the midrange'.  I was on the floor!

werd

« Reply #22 on: 25 Jun 2009, 10:34 pm »
In the mid 90's Bryston was the distributor for PMC Loudspeakers in the USA.  Myself and one of the best guys I ever had the pleasure of working with in this business 'Adrian Loader' from PMC were in LA on a sales trip.

We were demoing the small 2-way LB1 loudspeaker at a very influential Professional Audio Dealer attempting to get them to take on PMC speakers for the LA area.  The store owner listened intently for about 15 minutes and said no thanks 'the speaker is pretty good but it has a big hole in the midrange - sorry no sale.'

Attempting to salvage the sale we said we would bring over the big guys (MB1's huge 3-way) for him to audition two days hence since they were currently being used at Todd AO (a major film scoring studio in LA). The store owner said great,  'is there any chance I could hear them at Todd AO rather than drag them into the store?'. We said sure - so next morning we picked him up and off we went to Todd AO.

We arrived and they were doing the film score for the Jim Carrey movie Liar Liar. On the huge soundstage they had the full LA Philharmonic Orchestra all set up to be recorded. The store owner asked if we could go onto the soundstage and listen to the orchestra close up and personal. So myself, Adrian and the store owner are sitting there about 10 feet from the conductor and the orchestra is playing at full blast.  About 5 minutes into the recording Adrian turns to the store owner and says 'it's really good but there's a big hole in the midrange'.  I was on the floor!

No way!!!! I call your BS on that one....  :lol: What did he say after he learnt it was live?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #23 on: 25 Jun 2009, 11:02 pm »

No way!!!! I call your BS on that one....  :lol: What did he say after he learnt it was live?

Hi werd,

I guess I did not explain it well - we were all sitting in front of the LA Phil so the dealer knew it was live. It was just Adrians way of giving him a rip on his opinion of the speaker.

The control room behind us had the MB2 speakers in it so we were not listening to speakers at all.

james

« Last Edit: 26 Jun 2009, 10:39 am by James Tanner »

werd

« Reply #24 on: 26 Jun 2009, 01:18 am »

Hi werd,

I guess I did not explain it well - we were all sitting in front of the LA Phil so the dealer knew it was live. It was just Adrians way fo giving him a rip on his opinion of the speaker.

The control room behind us had the MB2 speakers in it so we were not listening to speakers at all.

james

No it was clear i misread it the first time..... thats hilarious.

bob stern

Klipsch meeting Bose
« Reply #25 on: 26 Jun 2009, 06:12 am »
industry jokes such as the famous Paul Klipsch meeting Amar Bose in the hallway during an audio show in the 80's.
I'd like to hear that one.  The quip must have come from Klipsch.  I don't think Bose had a sense of humor at all.

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #26 on: 26 Jun 2009, 06:55 am »

cool story, James. did the guy buy some PMC at least?

al.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #27 on: 26 Jun 2009, 10:01 am »

cool story, James. did the guy buy some PMC at least?

al.

Yes actually it took him hearing the MB1's in the control room to convince him... but it was a go.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #28 on: 26 Jun 2009, 03:37 pm »
Hi James;

The most memorable story about Bryston amps I can think of was when a customer brought in a pair of 3Bs a number of years ago. They had been through a house fire, and had fallen into the basement, along with the entire remaining structure of the house.

When we saw them, the black anodizing had been burned off the metal, the whole amplifiers were aluminum color. The interiors of the amps had collected soot a sixteenth of an inch thick, they had sat underwater for a week until being dragged out of the basement and brought in by the owner. They had dried out by then, but they looked absolutely horrific.

The owner asked if there was anything we could do with them.  We plugged them in, and they worked fine. They still met spec in all regards.  The owner took them home as conversation pieces. Presumably they are still playing music today.

CWR

danman

« Reply #29 on: 26 Jun 2009, 05:23 pm »
That's incredible!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #30 on: 26 Jun 2009, 06:31 pm »
Another story, more a tribute to the packing material than anything, was a 4B that fell out of the cargo compartment of an airplane at takeoff. 

It bounced and slid down the runway, finally bouncing off into the weeds.  They brought in the wadded-up and shredded box to assess the damage for insurance purposes.  We unpacked it, and the amp was fine. Completely undamaged, and met all specs. We repacked it and gave it back with a clean bill of health.

cwr

danman

« Reply #31 on: 26 Jun 2009, 06:34 pm »
My God! Fire...........falling from a plane..............what's next?

Stu Pitt

« Reply #32 on: 27 Jun 2009, 03:10 am »
I just pray my B60 or any other gear will never become the next story.

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #33 on: 27 Jun 2009, 03:17 pm »
My God! Fire...........falling from a plane..............what's next?

...whatever! it's quality build and so there's nothing to be afraid of.

al.

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #34 on: 28 Jun 2009, 01:18 am »
Built to last, the way it should be!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #35 on: 19 May 2015, 03:50 pm »

sfraser

« Reply #36 on: 19 May 2015, 04:38 pm »
When I was a teenager I had a huge pair of Cerwin Vega's in my parents basement. They had the typical CV red colored foam around the woofer. One day my buddy and I were listening to them with the front screens removed....it was pretty loud, I had a Carver M1.t amp and the  meters bouncing pretty good. My mom who has  little tolerant for loud music, and even less for rock n roll came roaring down stairs and preceded to give me proper sh*t.  After she was done, she turned to walk back up stairs and said "see you are playing those things so loud they are getting hot, they are turning cherry red" She did not appreciate the roar of laughter that followed her up the stairs..

martyo

« Reply #37 on: 19 May 2015, 04:50 pm »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #38 on: 19 May 2015, 06:04 pm »

spinner

« Reply #39 on: 19 May 2015, 08:25 pm »